Patron Saint

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Tyhee

Post by Tyhee » Mon Mar 05, 2007 5:56 pm

I'm sure this has been discussed before, if so I apologize but I'm sure that when I was at school a long time ago I was told that the patron Saint of Cornwall was St Petroc. Whilst I'm delighted with the upsurge of County pride I'm confused. St Pirran was the patron saint of tin miners. The internet doesn't help as both are correct according to various sites and St Michael and St Mark are also claimants to hold the title. Tiz proper mazy m'ansomes. Can anyone illuminate? Happy St Pirrans day by the way...proper job

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:21 pm

Tyhee, I believe that there was a battle for who was to be Patron Saint with the upsurge of Cornish 'National' Pride. Thirty Years ago this was discussed, I just think Piran won out, so today it is St Piran, easy as that. Oh and bye the way, the word 'County' is generally regarded as offensive, so Celtic Nation, Duchy or just plain Cornwall, thanks.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:21 pm

I think the fact is we have millions of saints to choose from.

But lets face it we can't have a Cornish national celebration every two days.

Tyhee

Post by Tyhee » Mon Mar 05, 2007 6:37 pm

firdt time in my 62 years that I've heard that the word county is offensive. Perhaps someone should tell the county council, county fire brigade or the county sports teams, oh come on. You live and learn!!!

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Mon Mar 05, 2007 7:22 pm

Tyhee, it is considered offensive when used in relation to Cornwall. Cornwall is a Duchy, Nation, but never a County. Country, yes. Surely this is not the first time you have heard this, or heard of Cornish Nationalism ?

Tyhee

Post by Tyhee » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:15 pm

I am Cornish,perhaps I haven't had enough scrumpy

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:30 pm

Possibly true Tyhee. Maybe you'd like to know more about what Cornish Nationalism is. Just ask.

Laghyades

Post by Laghyades » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:13 am

Well, Petroc being a tamer of dragons, would get the votes of those with mothers-in-law, I'd suppose.

Piran, on the other hand, was a 'mmmmmmm-beer' sort of fellow, I hear. Whether he could play air guitar or organise a rave, though, I couldn't say.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:30 pm

I am a Cornish nationalist and i don't find the word county offensive.

I understand what you are saying angofbew and i think there are better terms to describe Kernow, but i cannot say i am offended by the word county.

TGG

Post by TGG » Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:58 pm

Fulub-le-Breton - Posted: 06.03.2007, 14:30
said:

I am a Cornish nationalist and i don't find the word county offensive.

'county' used in its correct context is OK but in connection with Cornwall it is totally dismissive and misrepresents the truth because its use offensively reinforces, and guarantees, Cornwall's parity with the counties of England etc. Thus 'official' lies and deception are gullibly given credibility from within! Why people do not wish to have an identity and say [size=large]CORNWALL[/size] simply escapes me?

As an administrative function the true location of the taxable/local government area referred to today as 'a county' is, with regard to Cornwall, de jure, within the territorial Honour properly known as the Duchy of Cornwall.

TGG

http://www.kernowtgg.co.uk

edited by: TGG, Mar 06, 2007 - 03:59 PM
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Tue Mar 06, 2007 6:55 pm

The Duchy is the WHOLE of Cornwall.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:20 pm

"the patron Saint of Cornwall was St Petroc.... St Pirran was the patron saint of tin miners.
You're right-Tyhee.
Sadly St. Pirran, the flag, the kilt are all recent additions. I think the Cornish culture doesn't need all this recent marketing hype. It makes the county a laughing stock!

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:11 pm

Trevorpen, firstly St Piran and the Flag are definately not recent additions. St Pirsns Oratory is the Oldest place of Christian Worship on mainland Britain. The Flag goes back to the Middle Ages. However you are possibly right that St Petroc is the Patron Saint of Cornwall and St Piran is definately the Patron Saint of Tinners. Today though St Piran is more recognised as such, so Today St Piran is the Patron Saint of Cornwall.
I will ask you to PLEASE not refer to Cornwall as a County, as many People including myself, find that term offensive. Thank You.

Frenchie

Post by Frenchie » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:03 am

It makes the county a laughing stock!

To you.

St Piran is what seems to be.. Maybe the Tinner's spirit is more prevalent.

Sadly St. Pirran, the flag, the kilt are all recent additions. I think the Cornish culture doesn't need all this recent marketing hype.

Then don't interpret it as such on a Cornish forum..