Hello - Im new

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
JackieHolden
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:15 pm

Post by JackieHolden » Sun Mar 20, 2005 3:06 pm

Thanks Stonefly! Tell me a bit yourself, if you don't mind. What brought you to this Forum, and have you made lots of friends here? I'm looking forward to learning more about the history of Cornwall and the Cornish. I've just turned 46, and I guess people start thinking about their roots and heritage as they start getting older. I'm interested in this whole thing about Cornwall being a Country and not just a County. And, I'm also interested in looking at how Cornwall differs from its neighbours, and what are those differences. I know Cornwall had, and still has its own language, and some people can speak the Cornish language; I really find that quite fascinating.

Fulub-le-Breton
Posts: 5528
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 5:45 pm
Location: Breizh
Contact:

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:01 pm

National identity lives in the human heart, Cornish, English, Russian, Chechen or other. Its just that sometimes the nation does not coincide with a sovereign state.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepage ... Ghome.html

This website could be helpful also.

JackieHolden
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:15 pm

Post by JackieHolden » Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:20 pm

Thanks Mike and Fulub! On Thursday we finish College for the Easter break, so I can have a proper look at these websites. I'm really glad I came across this website, you seem a fiendly bunch!

JackieHolden
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:15 pm

Post by JackieHolden » Fri Mar 25, 2005 10:26 pm

Hi Diane, what part of Cornwall are you from? I'm here in
St Ives :) We have a lot of tourists here for the Easter break. When were you last in Cornwall for a visit? I suppose being part of the Forum is a good way of staying in touch with what is going on. You can read the local newspapers online too...the Cornishman, West Briton and the Western Morning news etc. A lot has changed in 27 years for sure. I never thought life here in St Ives wuld ever change, but it has. I never dreamed we would have to install CCTV cameras' to monitor crime, but we have. It's appalling. Many had hoped St Ives wouldn't turn into a Newquay, but well I don't know...at the end of the day, businesses want to appeal to the visitors, and the local community are secondary. That's just my personal opinion, but others have voiced the same concerns. How do you celebrate Easter over there? Same as here, easter eggs etc....have a lovely Easter Diane, and everyone who posts here.

JackieHolden
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:15 pm

Post by JackieHolden » Sun May 01, 2005 10:37 am

Hi Diane, things have been quite hectic, and I've only just come back to this message board. Glad I have, cos I really enjoyed reading this. I hope to share more soon. I'm doing some research for a College assignment, and I came across this persons name, and I wanted an email address for him: Fulub Le Breton. Do you or anyone else here know him perhaps?

Porthia1947
Posts: 648
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2005 12:13 am

Post by Porthia1947 » Wed May 04, 2005 5:57 pm


"JackieHolden" said:
Hi Diane, what part of Cornwall are you from? I'm here in
St Ives :) We have a lot of tourists here for the Easter break. When were you last in Cornwall for a visit? I suppose being part of the Forum is a good way of staying in touch with what is going on. You can read the local newspapers online too...the Cornishman, West Briton and the Western Morning news etc. A lot has changed in 27 years for sure. I never thought life here in St Ives wuld ever change, but it has. I never dreamed we would have to install CCTV cameras' to monitor crime, but we have. It's appalling. Many had hoped St Ives wouldn't turn into a Newquay, but well I don't know...at the end of the day, businesses want to appeal to the visitors, and the local community are secondary. That's just my personal opinion, but others have voiced the same concerns. How do you celebrate Easter over there? Same as here, easter eggs etc....have a lovely Easter Diane, and everyone who posts here.





I agree with Jackie about businesses seeing the needs of the local community as secondary to those of visitors. A lawyer might ask retorically cui bono? Cui bono? .... we know for what or whose benefit!! One poignant reminder of how the needs of indigenous local communities are given a lower priority was highlighted by the line of new Yellow Pages still lying on all but one or two of the doorsteps on both sides of Island Road (St Ives) a week and probably longer, after they had first been delivered. I don’t think I need to spell out why they hadn’t been picked up and taken in within a few days of delivery. This is a row of, I would guess at least 50 houses and no doubt this was repeated in many streets, roads, lanes and alleyways throughout St Ives and all of the other towns and village throughout Cornwall.

JackieHolden
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Mar 20, 2005 1:15 pm

Post by JackieHolden » Tue May 10, 2005 12:48 am

Hey Diane, you'll never believe this; I was about to close down all the pages on my computer, and this page was on my cpmputer with your letter staring out at me. I didn't open this page tonight!!! Guess I'm meant to read it. That would make a brilliant photo and news story! I'm studying journalism, oh our first year exams happening now and until June; ohh shorthand (scary). I'm doing an interesting case study, and it's about Cornwall, so in due course and when I'm not as shattered, I'll share it with you. It's 00.46 hrs here, and I'm just a wee bit tired. So off to sleep now. Guess you'll all be up over there, not sure of the time difference, I know you're way ahead of us. :)

Masterclass
Posts: 1005
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:18 am

Post by Masterclass » Tue May 10, 2005 1:37 am

Porthia, thanks for using a large font, saves me getting my glasses.

Anyawy, occasionally, some pople go on 'holiday'. That's when they leave their home for a week or two and go elsewhere. I'm asuming that you are making a comment about second homes.

Kernow
Posts: 140
Joined: Tue Sep 14, 2004 3:08 pm

Post by Kernow » Tue May 10, 2005 2:44 pm

When I go on holiday my neighbours take in my Yellow Pages.

Are you saying the residents of Island Road all go on holiday together?

Masterclass
Posts: 1005
Joined: Wed Oct 06, 2004 8:18 am

Post by Masterclass » Tue May 10, 2005 9:28 pm


"Kernow" said:
When I go on holiday my neighbours take in my Yellow Pages.




That's jolly nice of them.


"Kernow" said:
Are you saying the residents of Island Road all go on holiday together?



Do they? That''s really good. I like a good sense of community, I do.

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests