Was Rugby invented in Cornwall

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Midcornwall.com

Post by Midcornwall.com » Tue Aug 07, 2007 1:20 pm

I was reading one of the "Cornish" books that stand like bastions of TRUE FACT in the frontage of most superstores in the Duchy.

"Cornish Recipies" "Cornish Ghiosts" "Cornish Inventors" "Cornish Recreational Saphhism in the Middle ages" etc...

and there was one which had a one liner about how rugby was invented in Cornwall.

Any one know what the evidence is for this rather nifty claim?

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Tue Aug 07, 2007 5:31 pm

I just think it was because we had hurling which was similar and someone has put 2 and 2 together and made 5 ....... unless of course it can be proved Webb Ellis had Cornish links???

Nosdan

Post by Nosdan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:08 pm

I remember reading this,

I believe it comes from the fact that there was a documented hurling game played on a Penzance beach which had a goal at each end and the played with the same of side rule as Rugby has now, (ie no forward pass).

Also at the time Webb Ellis was at Rugby school i believe a cornishman was the head teacher, trevelyan rings a bell but could just be my imagination!

Nosdan

Post by Nosdan » Tue Aug 07, 2007 9:21 pm

Just found this... http://wesclark.com/rrr/r_myth.html

Pretty good reasoning.

Midcornwall.com

Post by Midcornwall.com » Wed Aug 08, 2007 1:33 pm

Nosdan said:
Just found this... http://wesclark.com/rrr/r_myth.html

Pretty good reasoning.

Great link, thanks:)

And yes, good reasoning:)

TGG

Post by TGG » Wed Aug 08, 2007 8:21 pm

Probably a good point to pose the slightly off-topic query. Can anyone give any information why Cornwall was the only place to represent GB at Rugby in the 1908 Olympics [lost to Australia :-( ] - the games one and only inclusion, I believe?

TGG

ps Act in haste!!! Plenty of info on-line
An inexplicable statement for a 'British' team :-? :
[size=small]The choice of Cornwall was controversial, as only three of their players had ever represented England, as well as the fact that Australia, who had been on a tour of the United Kingdom, had defeated them 18 points to five.[/size]

edited by: TGG, Aug 08, 2007 - 08:54 PM
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

Kéighlán

Post by Kéighlán » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:19 pm

As far as im aware the Rugby game we now today (with the rules and such) was invented in England.Cornwall has a similar game (hurling)
But it is not rugby

Cawsando

Post by Cawsando » Thu Apr 10, 2008 12:59 pm

Thats right, that's why we need to standardise the rules and popularise Cornish hurling, as an alternative to Rugby.

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Thu Apr 10, 2008 2:11 pm

Yes Rugby was invented in Cornwall - Read Richard Carew's description of in-field hurling - the rules are almost identical to the early rules of Rugby football.

Why was it called Rugby you may ask? Well yes the rules were formalised at Rugby School during the rule of Thomas Arnold. (William Webb Ellis is just a later schoolboy myth).
Rugby needed an athletic sport because many Public schools already had a field sport (e.g. like the the Eton Wall game). Thomas Arnold introduced it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_Arnold See here re: Thomas Arnold.

What's the Cornish connection you might ask? Well see who he was married to - her mother was a Trevenen (a relation of mine) - they were heavily involved in the setting up of Helston Grammar School - The Eton of the West. Thomas Arnold often visited his Penrose and Trevenen relations in Cornwall and would have seen field hurling being played around Helston possibly even at the Grammar School (where Derwent Coleridge was the Master)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derwent_Coleridge

Kéighlán

Post by Kéighlán » Thu Apr 10, 2008 9:35 pm

Despite many Cornish people being involved with the formation of Rugby, was it invented on Cornish soil?
if it wasn't then it's was not invented in Cornwall

Abieuan

Post by Abieuan » Thu Apr 10, 2008 10:42 pm

Some of the above posts seem to suggest that rugby was invented in Cornwall, but that the English made it their official rules.

There is no evidence to the contrary that i know of, Kéighlàn.