Mount Edgcumbe is it Cornish?

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Gary

Post by Gary » Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:13 am

For centuries the border between England and Cornwall was at Cawsand and Kingsand (Rame peninsular), Mount Edgcumbe and the Parish of Rame peninsular was in Devon, recently the parish moved to Cornwall but after the house was bombed during the Second World War Cornwall County council and Plymouth City purchased the area 50/50.

What has it got to do with Plymouth city council?

Sorry to ask but I always see the picture when I log into this site and feel more worthy candidates could grace such a patriotic Cornish site than this, also for the record the house is modern house as it was bombed.

I have always wondered how this land came to be in Devon, does anyone know the history of this part of the land?

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:46 am

Accoding to William of Malmesbury Athelstan the first real king of the English established a border between his realm and Cornwall following the river Tamar for all time in the 930s.

After Athelstan, the role of Tavistock Priory increased and they acquired territory across the border in Cornwall - sometimes by nefarious means. As these estates were administered by institutions outside of Cornwall by English speakers rather than Cornish speakers they tended to be placed under the nearest English civil government e.g. Devon.

A comparison with Monmouthshire is helpful. Monmouthshire is clearly welsh but has at times during its history had links with English civil government. Some might contend they are disputed areas but the Athelstan settlement, the return to Cornish civil government and the attitudes of the locals ensure that this area and the werrington enclave are now considered by most people to be back where they 'belong' in Cornwall.