The Battlefield, Penzance

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Mon Sep 17, 2007 7:00 pm

Dose anybody know why this area of Penzance is so called?

I had heard that it had something to do with the Catholics living there, but my mother, who has lived there most of her life, disagrees, but dose not know the real reason for its name.

Also, is it just the area between the Catholic Church and the old Catholic school, or is it bigger than that?

edited by: P_Trembath, Sep 17, 2007 - 07:00 PM
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

Laghyades

Post by Laghyades » Tue Sep 18, 2007 2:50 am

I don't know the actual reason. But I can venture an educated guess.

Go back to anytime before the war, and put a bunch of Catholics and Methodists schoolkids together. You might just as put petrol and a naked flame together.

Here's a direct quote from the era : "You see those windows in the church down level with the footpath. They're cellar skylights. That's where they hold the Inquisitions."

P_Trembath

Post by P_Trembath » Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:38 am

Could be, except that I would have thought that, that end of Penzance, would have been more Anglican than methodist, judging by the position of the churches etc. Which would mean that any catholics would have been "inviting" the methodist kids come and play.

Also, my Mother dose not seem to remember the area as being predominately catholic as such.
Everyone, Cornish or otherwise, has their own particular part to play. No part is too great or too small; no one is too old or too young to do something.

HeamoorMan

Post by HeamoorMan » Thu Dec 06, 2007 9:53 pm

Theres an area of fields situated between Heamoor and Treneere, which when I was a Kid, was always know as the Quarry Fields,,,as far as I'm aware thats because there used to be a Quarry there,,,,perhaps the same applies to the Battlefield area of Penzance,,,maybe some ancient battle took place there,,the area stretches from Britons Hill to almost Tolver road area,, as I understand it....Britons Hill possibly being another clue?? Interesting though??

Piskey6

Post by Piskey6 » Tue May 20, 2008 2:13 pm

It's because the developers 'battled' to build the best houses. whence why they do look quite grand most of them.

So I am told.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Joe's on the right track. The "Battlefields" (St Francis Street, St Philip's Street, St Dominic's Street and St Warren's Street) were built between 1880 and 1895 on land that had been the grounds of Leskinnick House. The architect was Oliver Caldwell.

The "battle" was apparently a legal one between rival builders according to a document lodged in the RIC in Truro, and recorded by a W.H. Eva.

Who was St Warren? Seemingly the Rev. Warren Middleton who was involved with the development and arranged an unofficial sainthood for himself.

edited by: marhak, Nov 15, 2008 - 12:03 PM