Greetings

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
EngliscFyrd

Post by EngliscFyrd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 2:32 pm

Hi there,

Just thought I'd drop in for a discussion with you folks over post devolution in the UK.
Bit of background from me: I'm an English Nationalist who losely supports the English Democrats as they seem to be the only party that's pushing for an English parliament. I see myself as a Nationalist as I see civic nationalism as a way of preserving culture, heritage, the countryside and civic institutions. Other the that the majority of my views come from a Libetarian stance e.g. abolition of income tax, stronger property rights, free speech etc etc.
I support the people of Cornwall in that they should be able to choose their own future through democratic choice.

So yes my questions, I've been discussing with a few other English Nats and those of that slant a hypothetical proposal should devolution be offered to England at any point in the future.
The idea was to let what we loosely call counties be recognised as their actual status i.e. a soke, shire or duchy.
The proposal would allow each 'county' to have a referendum on for example being re-constituited in the case of Middlesex or abolished in the case of Tyneside.
As part of this idea we presumed that the Cornish would vote to be recognised officially as a duchy?
As part of this idea we discussed how those choosing to change their status would then be given the option of changing their local government structure, in the case of Cornwall this would allow the Cornish to replace the county council with the Stannary parliament.
Obviously this would give the people of Cornwall the oppotunity should they wish to, to seperate from the UK, or if the UK had been dissolved by this point, to seperate from England.

As I said this was just a hypothetical idea, but I was interested to hear what you folks though of it.

Thanks

Englisc Fyrd

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:46 pm

Welcome to the forum EngliscFyrd.

Is that Anglo-Saxon in your name.

TEL

EngliscFyrd

Post by EngliscFyrd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 4:51 pm

Yes it's the name of the blog I write on which is part of the Witanagemot group.

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:07 pm

Thought so - English Warrior isnt it. I remember being taught in history that in the Battle of hastings there were soldiers calles Fyrds (pronounced as in Feared?), is that right?

TEL

EngliscFyrd

Post by EngliscFyrd » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:12 pm

:-)
Well a Fyrd is essentially a shire militia and a defensive force as opposed to an offensive force, so Englisc Fyrd would mean something like English home guard raised from the people.
As for your pronounciation, yep spot on :-)

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Wed Apr 30, 2008 5:30 pm

So, they were the ones to invade our contry yes? lol.

Thanks

TEL

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Thu May 01, 2008 4:32 pm

It's nice to see some anglo-saxon being written (excuse me if that's controversial on here... I am however not hung up on ancient rivalries)

Ok.. some views on the above!!

I don't think many people would be happy with the devolution of Cornwall into a Duchy.
For one it is already known to the British as a Duchy and also officially we are a separate nation anyway.
Should the UK start falling apart after Scotland's referendum on independence then I think the only goal would be to push for independence.