Hello All

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Paulk

Post by Paulk » Sun May 25, 2008 8:48 pm

Hello everyone,
I thought I would join up as I am interested in your opinions on English people moving to Cornwall. I visit Cornwall regularly, about every 3 months for around a week at a time, but I refuse to visit in the summer when it has the huge influx of tourists.

From the first time that I visited I fell in love with the whole place and the more laid back ways that you are so fortunate to have. I was also amazed how welcoming the Cornish were as I have never had people say hello to me and my wife whilst walking along the street etc.

Anyway, we are thinking of maybe moving down to Cornwall next year from Manston, near Margate in Kent but I am a little worried that we will not be accepted as we are outsiders. We are normal working class people,not chavs or rich toffs, I am a carpenter and my wife is an trainee accountant, soon to be a full time mum, so we aren't exactly well off but I love my job, and I can do it anywhere which is a bonus.

Any comments are welcome and thanks for reading it :-)

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Sun May 25, 2008 8:59 pm

have never had people say hello to me and my wife whilst walking along the street etc.

We Cornish are generally like that.
Just make sure you say hello back because
a) if you don;t we know you are foreign
b) I find it quite insulting

[quote][but I am a little worried that we will not be accepted as we are outsiders./quote]

I'm sure as long as you respect the Cornish people, the Cornish culture, the Cornish feelings and the Cornish language, you will be fine.

In the above, i mean, don't take the mick out of our accents. Dont take the mick out of our beliefs. Don't take the mick out of our Placenames/Language. All of these, emmets (thats what we call foreigners) generally do.

There are plenty of people who come from England who move to Cornwall, and are not treated like outsiders.

Egloshal? A yll'ta kewsel adro-dhis ow tos dhe Gernow rag an termyn kynsa? Martesen, an den ma a vynn dhe wodhvos fatell yw Kernow, dhiworth gwel den Londres/Sowsnek.

TEL

Paulk

Post by Paulk » Sun May 25, 2008 9:39 pm

Thanks TheElvenLord,
We are the respectful type of English, I must admit a high proportion of English are either up their own a**es or have no respect for anyone, maybe due to a lack of discipline(don't want to get me started on that).

Thanks for the input.
All the best.
Paul

Kéighlán

Post by Kéighlán » Sun May 25, 2008 9:57 pm

I was fortunate, my father brought me up with discipline (he was a former soldier) and im lucky i did not turn into a self-hating street chav, and i learnt to respect everyone and everything, including myself. If i were to move to Cornwall, i would make sure i learnt the language, did everything i could to promote the Cornish culture and fly the Pirans flag. I would fly the flag os St George, but many Cornishmen and woman find it offensive so i wouldn't. Id just keep it inside.

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Mon May 26, 2008 5:33 pm

was fortunate, my father brought me up with discipline (he was a former soldier) and im lucky i did not turn into a self-hating street chav, and i learnt to respect everyone and everything, including myself

And me.

My father was in the Navy, and I notice a trend that people who's parents (mostly fathers) were in the Armed forces DONT turn into Chavs.

Thanks TheElvenLord,
We are the respectful type of English, I must admit a high proportion of English are either up their own a**es or have no respect for anyone, maybe due to a lack of discipline(don't want to get me started on that).

Your welcome.
If you stay on this forum, you will learn our culture and beliefs (indeed if you look at the other topics)

TEL

Cawsando

Post by Cawsando » Mon May 26, 2008 5:41 pm

Dydh da Paul,

The best way to fit in will be (if you do move)
to embrace Cornish culture wholeheartedly.

Learn to speak cornish, its coming back in a big way now.

Give your child a cornish first name.

Change your surname to a cornish word, just pick up a dictionary, there are many and all sound spala.

Learn a cornish musical instrument, and write new music in cornish.

Write literature and poetry in cornish.

Take up our sports, such as hurling, gig rowing, and wrasslin.

Encourage others to do these things.

Learn about our unique constitutional status as a Duchy, and join a group, eg Mebyon Kernow, which campaigns for Cornish rights and greater autonomy.

Learn about Cornish history. I recommend purchasing John Angarrack's tome, 'Our Future is History' as a good starting point.

Don't forget, we are the only celtic nation which regularly gets told that we are Sowsnek (english).
We are not, but nationality is flexible and in the mind, if you want to become cornish, and add to our culture, we will welcome you with open arms.

Kernow a gas Dynnargh!

Paulk

Post by Paulk » Mon May 26, 2008 7:06 pm

Gorthugher da, Fatla genes?

I have over a year so I should be able to learn a fair bit in that time hopefuly, I certainly will put the effort in.

Can anyone point me to a Kernowek site that also has audio as well as text please, I'm not sure on how to pronounce some things.

Dyw genowgh.

Kéighlán

Post by Kéighlán » Mon May 26, 2008 8:29 pm

I wouldn't forget who you are, your own culture is still important. Just respect the Cornish culture and people as well.

Cawsando

Post by Cawsando » Mon May 26, 2008 8:55 pm

Fest yn ta Paul. I think Warlinnen has some audio, really pleased to hear that you are getting involved.

Here is a link to a good online dictionary.http://www.howlsedhes.co.uk/cgi-bin/diskwe.pl

You are right it is important that more audio resources are put online.

I doubt somehow Kéighlán that Paul will forget anything, guess who and what London continues to maintain power over?

Kéighlán

Post by Kéighlán » Mon May 26, 2008 9:45 pm

Yes, they maintain power over us as well. We dont have our own parliament either, there is no English government. There is no English national anthem, the only difference with England and Cornwall is we have more recognition.

Morvran

Post by Morvran » Mon May 26, 2008 10:01 pm

If you download the zip files from this page, most of them will include sound files. The lessons are a bit dated (in form and content) but the Cornish is very good, tried and tested over many years. I've just listened to a sample recording and that too is excellent (and I'm fairly critical).

http://www.kdl.org.uk/grade1.htm

Ytho, war yew! (Go for it)

[We now await a detailed pedantic analysis by Morvil's imaginary friend]

Kéighlán

Post by Kéighlán » Tue May 27, 2008 1:00 am

I just had a look at that website morvran and it made no sense to me whatsoever.

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Tue May 27, 2008 11:24 am

Okay Keighlan.

That link takes you to the page of lessons for the first grade.

Scroll down until you reach the title "Kernow" (you only have to scroll a little)

There will be a picture of a folder, a .zip file.
Right click it and choose "Save target as" then choose where to save it and you will download it.

Then, go to the file, open it up and there will be a sound file and a PDF.

For instructions on how to use the course, click the PDF by "Introduction" and Right click and "Save target as".

Hope this helps
TEL

Paulk

Post by Paulk » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:41 pm

Hi , one more question, what are the Redruth and Cambourne ares like?It seems to be cheaper around there, is that for a reason.
Thanks
Paul

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:51 pm

Hi paul
Great to hear that you love Cornwall so much - that's the first step to making lots of friends. If you think of yourself as working class then one of the most important activities that working class Cornish people love is supporting the local rugby team - I'd recommend either Pirates for seeing quality games or Redruth for a real Cornish experience.

Camborne & Redruth are built around mostly former mining areas - people tend to be on average less wealthy in these two towns and there are communities that have suffered such poverty since the decline of the mines in the 1880s despite such issues they are very resilient and are some of the friendliest Cornish people. The kinds of issues you might face for example is an above average number of teenage pregnancies - symptomatic of opportunities and expectations for some families.

Both towns are still quintessentially Cornish.