Peaceful Falmouth? Advice wanted! :-)

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Shona23

Post by Shona23 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:16 am

Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer me some advice?
I want to plan a 7 day holiday to Cornwall in July, it will be my first visit to the area.
Falmouth looks quite central for where I want to visit (Eden Project, Lizard Point, Lands End, St Just, maybe Newquay); but I don't want to stay anywhere that is too busy - plan is for a relaxing time!
Would Falmouth be a good area to stay, or are there other villages/towns nearby that might be better?
I'd really appreciate any suggestions, thanks, Shona :-)

Coady

Post by Coady » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:10 am

Falmouth is good, but almost everywhere in Cornwall can be busy during the 'holiday season', try to avoid the SCHOOL HOLIDAY peak weeks unless of course you have kids.

Falmouth has loads of hotels and guest houses, good beaches, big river, interesting harbour, ferries, shore angling, boat trips, National Maritime Museum, a genuine castle in good condition, great indoor kids swimming pool, decent town centre and shops, pretty good small town pub and club stuff...something for everyone.

To me its one of the best places as it remains substantially Cornish in character, with a lot of natives still in and around the town.

Graham.

edited by: Coady, Jun 17, 2008 - 11:19 AM
We live in interesting times!

IrishJack

Post by IrishJack » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:29 am

I would recommend anywhere on the Roseland (the pennisula opposite Falmouth), if you can afford it, more relaxing than Falmouth. It has many similar geograhic/holiday advantages to Falmouth, but is rustic and doesn't have the feeling of decay.

To be honest Newquay is a kip and Falmouth is not far behind, but these places are more tourist friendly than Redruth/Camborne which should be avoided like the plague unless you enjoy Chav culture.

I would recommend Helligan over Eden. Substance over style?

IrishJack

Post by IrishJack » Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:03 pm

Mike, she did say a relaxing holiday.

Rather than the nasty violent nightlife that characterised the urban areas of cornwall, like the rest of the UK. I would suggest that if you are holiday that Falmouth nightlife is equivalent in terms of quality and culture as that of Preston, Port Talbot, Paisley or Barnsley, i.e. any other british town in a state of post-industrial decay.

For a nice relaxing holiday, try northern italy or northern spain, nicer people, nicer weather, much better food. Cornwall has been destroyed as a quality holiday destination over the last 20 years, with the Chavtatistic Newquya and Falmouth, the rest of the county filled up with middle class snobs and their caddish offspring. All that made cornwall a quality holiday detination has been undermined by locals and blow-ins looking for a quick buck, quantity everytime, fully supported by the snout in trough local politicians of all hues.

Breath out slowly.

IrishJack

Post by IrishJack » Thu Jun 19, 2008 4:34 pm

Yes Mike, I know Falmouth very well, and since the student community has mushroomed the place is goin' to hell. Falmouth has completely failed to use its assets, IMO due to the blinkered town councillors and disinterest of Carrick. There is to much inverted snobbery in the town to see the main chance.

Coady

Post by Coady » Thu Jun 19, 2008 6:19 pm

I think Irish Jack must be living in some weird parallel universe....

Night life around the pubs/town centre is 'lively' but always has been going back decades.. it's a port town for goodness sake!

Graham.
We live in interesting times!

Celticwarrior

Post by Celticwarrior » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:35 pm

Im afraid i have to support IJ here. Im from Falmouth , grew up there and the main stay of my family are there. Its such a funny little town. It has a strange atmosphere which is one of the reasons i moved. The locals are not very friendly and tend to be very clicky. It gets very nasty down there especially at weekends when everyone goes out and gets obliterated and certainly not somewhere you would want to stroll through with your little ones. If you wanted to stay around that area id advise one of the smaller villages Mawnan or Stithians. There seems to be two distinct groups that live in Falmouth the monied Emmit incomers, students etc, and the locals who quite frankly dont have a pot to piss in. A place to visit ..well the jurys out on that one but as a place to live ..no thank you!. And that comes from the mouth of someone who lived there most of his adult life.