Suggestions Please?

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Griffin

Post by Griffin » Sat Oct 04, 2008 11:55 am

Hey all,

In early November at my school we have multicultural/multitallented day, which is a day where all the different cultural groups at my school dress in national dress, cook and sell food, put on a performance and generally have fun not doing real work the whole day.

I'm in the British/Celtic group, [slightly annoying they've put us both in the same one] run by our formerly English deputy principal. We have a parade of nations too, and I am carrying Kernow's flag along with the students with Welsh and Scottish ones.

I'm not entirely sure however what I should do for Cornish national dress. any suggestions? We also have been asked to do a 10 minute cultural performance for the big concert and my teacher has asked me to sing, but I'm not sure what to do, as I don't think a group of year 7-10 students will happily sit quietly through anything in Cornish. It used to be that they put the Brits, Celts and Aussies all in one group, but now they've split the two, and the Australian group is very very big, while our group is now the smallest in the school.
I'd be greatful for some suggestions.

Meur ras,
Griff.
Take my advice, I'm not using it anyhow.

Cawsando

Post by Cawsando » Sat Oct 04, 2008 1:07 pm

Bal maiden styli? The Kernewek borgoisie never defined themselves as Cornish in clothing style.

Perhaps that's something you could give a contemporary interpretation on, combining elements of farming, druidism, sailing, fishing, mining and surfing?

I'm sure you'll come up with something original...

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:38 pm

Sing the lullaby from the CD Planet Kernow. It's short, but beautiful.

Taran

Post by Taran » Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:12 pm

You could try:

http://www.an-daras.com/costumes/tradit ... ostume.htm

http://www.hevva.freeuk.com/news.htm

I don't think there was ever anything particularly along the lines of a 'traditional dress' as such.

edited by: Taran, Oct 04, 2008 - 03:14 PM

Griffin

Post by Griffin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:53 pm

Thanks for that, Shaz, I like that idea because it seems more unique than what most people do.

I'd better get to work finding it all!

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:37 pm

Griffin

Either as a BalMaiden, or in tartan.

I would reccommend singing Trelawny - it is in English, it is very Cornish, and I think it would be great.

Try and get someone to record it.

TEL

Griffin

Post by Griffin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:43 pm

I would reccommend singing Trelawny - it is in English, it is very Cornish, and I think it would be great.

I thought of that, but as yet, I haven't been able to work on a good enough harp accompaniment to it,...

Mmm, bal Maiden dress does not look like it's made for Australian late spring heat....
My friend will video it like he did for our ordition for a festival where we sang and played Cousin Jack.

Griffin

Post by Griffin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 10:22 am

Well, the bal maiden thing didn't come off so well, mainly because the bonnet avoided me and I had exams at the start of the term, which effectively put me out of action for looking too far.

I did however sing trelawny in the cultural presentations thing, wich was good.

Almost noone at school recognised the Cornish flag though, which was unfortunate.

I ended up wearing my outfit from King Lear, when we did the school play earlier this year, got second place for best dressed :d.

I'm going to make sure I have the right stuff for next year however, because I really want to do it, so thanks for all the help.

My friend also recorded the performances, so I'll post a link to that once he youtubes it.