Cornish home

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Chocolate

Post by Chocolate » Mon Nov 17, 2008 12:25 pm

Hi

I am looking to make Cornwall my home and am wondering if anyone has any recommendations about area. I am looking for somewhere relatively peaceful and quiet where I can be part of a small community. Ideally near or able to see the sea. I had been considering around Helston or St Ives but any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

:-)

SalaciousCrumb

Post by SalaciousCrumb » Mon Nov 17, 2008 2:03 pm

If its a small community of middle class Londoners you want then St Ives is good, If you want a more mixed bunch of northern English, then St. Just is looking good. If you want a community of Cornish people then you'll find them spread fairly thinly across England and the rest of the world.

If you want a community of Cornish people in Cornwall....hmmm....Close Hill estate, Redruth? I think there are a few more, Trenoweth, North Close...

Chocolate

Post by Chocolate » Tue Nov 18, 2008 1:19 pm

Wow, you certainly don't paint a very pretty picture of Cornwall! I'd be interested to get other opinions. Is this quite common to feel that Cornwall is overrun by people from outside the area? Am I seeing the beauty of the place through rose coloured glasses?
Thanks

Coady

Post by Coady » Tue Nov 18, 2008 5:33 pm

Chocolate, you probably ARE looking at a romanticised Cornwall through rose tinted specs, but Salacious Crumb is playing devils advocate.

Whether you would get on well in Cornwall depends a lot on what sort of person you are.

Do you have any skills, knowledge or abilities that would be a bonus to any community you join?

Graham.
We live in interesting times!

Chocolate

Post by Chocolate » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi there
Actually, I wasn't looking through rose coloured glasses. :-) I love the beauty of Cornwall and think that anyone who lives there is very fortunate. I was looking for somewhere quiet to make my home as opposed to a large and busy town and to give me a chance to feel part of a community and wasn't looking to segregate people into Cornish, Londoners or Northerners! Yes, I have skills, knowledge and abilities as I believe we all do but I wasn't looking to pass a test!! :lol: I believe we all have something to offer just by being ourselves.
I lived for a while in Wales and can still speak the Welsh I learnt there. The people were really welcoming and very happy to let you be part of the community and I loved it.
When I made my post I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about a quiet area as opposed to somewhere very touristy.

Thank you and I appreciate your input.

:-)

Royred

Post by Royred » Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:49 pm

Hope you relise chocolate that the wages here are way below the national average and the jobs are mostly in tourism i.e chefs, waiting. and other related posts, the travel to work can be around 10miles and public transport that is diffcult to combine with employment.
We already have lots of gridlock and parking in some towns is now park & ride. So your dreams of living St.Ives or Helston would mean a lot of travel and inconvience. On the peaceful side things only get like that at night. I can assure you that you will find it hard to find employment even if you are multi skilled ;yes you could be self employed but so are so many others.I suggest you stay at home.

Kerrow

Post by Kerrow » Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:15 pm

Spot on Royred

chocolate said:
Is this quite common to feel that Cornwall is overrun by people from outside the area

It is commonly felt that Kernow is overrun by people from outside the area for the precise reason that Kernow is overrun by people from outside the area.

If you read the threads concerning proposed housing development you will see this is due to become still worse. In-migration to the Duchy is higher than for any English county and this is not something that is conducive either to retaining the Cornish identity nor preserving the remaining rurality of Cornwall.

Chocolate

Post by Chocolate » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:52 pm

I really appreciate your replies. This is what I need to hear. Obviously I appreciate it may just be the views of the few that have posted here and others may have a different view but I am grateful for your input.

I had realised that wages are poor and jobs mainly in tourism. I hadn't realised that you get gridlock around the areas I was looking at and that is something I definitely would not like. I have to travel for 15-20 miles now and up to one hour and that is what I want to get away from. I want to be able to get to work easily.

I will also look at threads about housing developments. I just want somewhere quiet and don't want to feel hemmed in so it sounds quite worrying and I can understand how you must be feeling.

I do still love Cornwall very much and am not quite ready to give up on my dream but if places are becoming so busy and overrun then maybe I may have to "think outside the box".

Thank you very much for all your replies. It will definitely assist me in coming to a decision.

Kerrow

Post by Kerrow » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:05 pm

England is big and often beautiful, Chocolate,

You will find many quiet corners in that varied country which will suit your purpose - and which do not have the problems that Cornwall does.

Celticwarrior

Post by Celticwarrior » Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:51 pm

If you love Cornwall so much then do us all a favour and stay where you are we would appreciate it much more

ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla

Post by ThingsThatGoFlirInTheShla » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:17 pm

Cornwall is beautifull and serene and has very much its own character. The winters are breathtaking but harsh, the summers of stunning but over crowded.
The communities are thriving and people talk to their neighbours over the garden fence.
If you are moving to Cornwall from England then you will be shocked by the lack of money in the Duchy, the poverty and unemployment rate.
Yes it's beautifull and yes it's friendly but it has som very big down sides.

Coady

Post by Coady » Fri Nov 21, 2008 12:26 pm

Gosh, things....Cornwall's winters HARSH?
Here in Hayle we don't often get frost, much less snow!!
I have worked in the midlands and further North where they DO have winter....mand it makes Cornwall's winter weather look like along autumn....

Surely our winters are mild?
We live in interesting times!

Lanust

Post by Lanust » Fri Nov 21, 2008 1:02 pm

Hi Chocolate.
I am an incomer, and have been here nearly seven years now. I have always been made to feel very welcome by everyone, and love it here.
I lived in Hayle for some years but didn't feel at home there, and now live in St Just, which I love. It is a proper community, with only a few holiday homes. Only drawback is that it is a long way from EVERYWHERE!

IrishJack

Post by IrishJack » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:40 pm

Jacks Guide to People Who wish to reside in Cornwall, England and get a head.

If you can afford it Roseland is the place to be, dynamic and youthful are words.

There are plenty of unskilled cornish working class types to do gardening, washing, house work, etc. In fact the locals are are a bit like the thais, but not as friendly or courteous. Remember only allow them to do menial tasks, you will need a person from 'up country', preferably london, to do anything complicated.

As you will note when reading on C24 most cornish people don't know which side their bread is buttered on, and complain about the generous part time wages provided by the gracious and humble english retirees and down-gearers.

Remember to erect a flag pole in your garden and fly the flag of St George, this will mark you as wise and discerning, and probably land you a job in county hall or atleast an invitation to join the 'cornish' libdems.

Most importantly you must insists that you live in england and that the local dolers should be grateful to the generousity afforded by London ingenuity.

Say things, like Stephensons was the greatest inventor of the industrial revolution with his discovery and mastery of steam, culminating in the invention of the mechanical transportation. The libdems and your fellow county council employees will insist that you are promoted.

Join the national trust and take surfing lessons at the english national surfing school. Surfing after all is a quintissential part of local culture and the National trust work tireless to protect english heritage in cornwall.

Say, cornish language, its only pigeon welsh after all. More brownie points in county hall.

Buy and expensive high powered car and drive at 30 mph, after all those high hedges are very intimidating. Those cornish lunatics rush everywhere, they should take it easy, after all what does it matter if you lose an hours wage.

Instigate a policy to build more houses for people to retire to or occupy for 2 weeks a year, after all this is the life blood and future of the cornish economy.

Insist that mining should not be permitted in an environment of such natural aesthetic value.

Now you know how to become leader of the 'cornish' lib dems or chief exec cornwall one.

Celticwarrior

Post by Celticwarrior » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:34 pm

IrishJack said:
Jacks Guide to People Who wish to reside in Cornwall, England and get a head.

If you can afford it Roseland is the place to be, dynamic and youthful are words.

There are plenty of unskilled cornish working class types to do gardening, washing, house work, etc. In fact the locals are are a bit like the thais, but not as friendly or courteous. Remember only allow them to do menial tasks, you will need a person from 'up country', preferably london, to do anything complicated.

As you will note when reading on C24 most cornish people don't know which side their bread is buttered on, and complain about the generous part time wages provided by the gracious and humble english retirees and down-gearers.

Remember to erect a flag pole in your garden and fly the flag of St George, this will mark you as wise and discerning, and probably land you a job in county hall or atleast an invitation to join the 'cornish' libdems.

Most importantly you must insists that you live in england and that the local dolers should be grateful to the generousity afforded by London ingenuity.

Say things, like Stephensons was the greatest inventor of the industrial revolution with his discovery and mastery of steam, culminating in the invention of the mechanical transportation. The libdems and your fellow county council employees will insist that you are promoted.

Join the national trust and take surfing lessons at the english national surfing school. Surfing after all is a quintissential part of local culture and the National trust work tireless to protect english heritage in cornwall.

Say, cornish language, its only pigeon welsh after all. More brownie points in county hall.

Buy and expensive high powered car and drive at 30 mph, after all those high hedges are very intimidating. Those cornish lunatics rush everywhere, they should take it easy, after all what does it matter if you lose an hours wage.

Instigate a policy to build more houses for people to retire to or occupy for 2 weeks a year, after all this is the life blood and future of the cornish economy.

Insist that mining should not be permitted in an environment of such natural aesthetic value.

Now you know how to become leader of the 'cornish' lib dems or chief exec cornwall one.

fantastic post
thank you