Lots of questions on the cornish language

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
martynkernow

Post by martynkernow » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:11 pm

hello i have Lots of questions on the cornish language hope some persons can help , i want to start to learn cornish i have got 2 cds that i got of an internet site which i have started on , i want to go to lessons soon where is best closest { i live in truro} ??? and i keep finding different ways of saying things from the net to books to the cds i got , like hello on my cd says deth da ??? is that right or is that good day???that goes for alot of words ,  which do i follow??? is there an up to date cornish dictionary??? which in your views is best old cornish new cornish???? it seems to me there needs to be some sort of thing held where some persons say this is the cornish language as if they are going to teach itr in schools there needs to be some sort of blueprint , is this happening?

many thanks

truru

Post by truru » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:24 pm

Hi Martyn,
There are plenty of classes in or near Truro. Look at the MAGA site for the most up to date list: http://www.magakernow.org.uk/i.....leid=38583
Yes “dedh da” means “good day”, but it is also used as a “hello”. You can also say “Ha”, as a more informal “Hello” or “Hi”.
It is up to you which dialect of Cornish you prefer, it's all Cornish but it depends on your taste. You can choose Late Cornish (which is what I prefer, see http://latecornish.wordpress.com) or you can choose Medieval Cornish. Both are used in the modern revived language, and both are represented in the Standard Written Form.
Yes there is a Standard Written Form now, this was agreed last year, and is intended for use in schools and official documents. A coursebook for schools in the Standard Form was published last week.
Kemerew with (take care)

martynkernow

Post by martynkernow » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:32 pm

much thanks im very new to it , i have lived in cornwall all my life and i am cornish through 100s of years but i have never had an interest in it. cheers

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Wed Sep 02, 2009 11:50 am

Hi Martyn
I'm starting a new beginner's class in Truro, if you are interested in coming along. It will be starting next Tuesday evening.
Cheers
Conan
PS just PM me! or if you prefer normal email conanjenkin at hotmail.com