Kernewek in Cornish dialect

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Coady

Post by Coady » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:56 am

"Eere, Granny, ken you speak Cornish?"

"No son, but MY granny lived to be 103 an she cud member the Lors Prare in Cornish and cud keunt to a'undred in Cornish."

"Wen was she born then?"

"Aw I dunno, dunkeys years ago, she lernt it off er granny who cud speak it proper."

"Did she evver rite it dewn?"

"Dunnee be sa daff, nun uv they cud RITE, gurls nevver went tuh skool, jus rich boys and they that was goin tuh be vikkers!"

"Well I arnt rich, so wive I got to go skool?..an I arnt goin tuh be no vikker eether.....?"

"Cuz you ave to, else I'll scat ee mazzlin!"
We live in interesting times!

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:16 am

"Diane" said:
My mum said my gar, and I always assumed it was originally My God, but I think I've seen My an gar somewhere on here, and realise that's probably where it came from.

Personally I doubt it, Diane. "My a'n gar" would translate as "I _____ him/it" but I can't think of what verb "gar" would be part of. I don't think it works as an exclamation.

I sometimes have a problem reading dialect when people use a bizarre form of spelling. Coady's is OK, but I can't read Les Merton's, it looks too contrived.

Maybe we should campaign for a single written form of dialect? :lol:

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:40 am

Caggle is not from Kagla - that word didn't exist before 1986. Try cagla.

Marhak

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:49 pm

People are talking in Cornish on thsi board so why not start a dialect thread(s) as well?

Teach me something!

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:49 pm

"marhak" said:
Caggle is not from Kagla - that word didn't exist before 1986. Try cagla.

You're a sad, sad man (or woman). If someone was to say "kagla" or "cagla" to you, you would understand them without knowing how they were spelling it in their mind. Spelling is only a way of representing sounds on paper. The word pronounced "[c/k]agla" existed from antiquity, it's just the way we spell it that has changed. It's no wonder some Cornish speakers can't agree when people like you have such a nonsensically rigid approach to spelling.

Would you say that "color" and "favor" are new words because they were spelt differently in traditional English? Of course not, they are new (American) ways of spelling old words. Updating spellings doesn't invalidate American English or modern French or modern Irish, any more than updating the spellings of Cornish in Kemmyn or UCR invalidates them. Traditional written Cornish wasn't spelt regularly anyway so any modern attempt to regularise it will by necessity have to move to a degree from the original inconsistent spellings. If you aren't happy with "kagla" then there are loads of words even in Unified which are spelt differently from the traditional, irregularly-spelt texts - would you call them "new" words too?

Chill out about the spelling, marhak, it's not as important as you think. Choosing a single written form, and soon, is more important than which one we choose.

Egloshal

Post by Egloshal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 5:36 pm

Agreed that Marhak needs to chill... in fact... Irish has changed its spelling three times I think. No-one moans like Marhak now in Ireland.

It is people like Marhak (should that be Marrack? lol) who are the real problem with the language movement. Marhak is obviously a petty minded no-lifer who would rather act negatively and sabotage people's work for the Cornish language, rather than doing what we should all be doing, and acting positively for Kernewek.

Marhak... go and do something more positive with your life, rather than go to your grave with the knowledge you've put many people off having anything to do with the tongue.

Marhak... go and think of ways we can work together.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:33 pm

Funny how the adherents to Kenn's Kreation plunge straight into personal insult whenever it receives even the slightest dissent or query. If I am "sad" or "petty-minded", what do you guys make of those who sabotaged (and killed stone dead) the programme of bilingual road signs in West Cornwall a few years ago, simply because they weren't in their own preferred spelling?

I dare say that I have been far more active and positive towards achieving the desired goal of a single written form than either of you, but I decline to descend to your depths of personal insult. THAT, more than anything I've said, has contributed most to putting people off the language and holding it back.

Marhak

Egloshal

Post by Egloshal » Thu Jun 08, 2006 11:02 pm

Ur sounding very bitter or something like that... can't work you out, but you have definately got a chip on your shoulder.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Jun 09, 2006 7:38 am

Nah, well balanced, Egloshal - a chip on both shoulders!

Marhak

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:08 am

If I am "sad" or "petty-minded", what do you guys make of those who sabotaged (and killed stone dead) the programme of bilingual road signs in West Cornwall a few years ago, simply because they weren't in their own preferred spelling?

They're just as sad and petty and damaging to the language movement as someone who says that "kagla" only existed since 1986 because it uses a 'k' instead of a 'c'.

Lyskerrys

Post by Lyskerrys » Fri Jun 09, 2006 10:14 am

"marhak" said:
I dare say that I have been far more active and positive towards achieving the desired goal of a single written form than either of you,

ROTFLMAO. Egloshal has done more for the language than you know.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:27 am

Same here

Marhak

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:56 am

And here - but you still wrote that you "dare say" you have done more than us, without a shred of knowledge about who were are and what we've done. Rather arrogant, I call it. Or should that be "kall" it?

PS - Calling it "Kenn's Kreation" is hardly going to improve relations between the camps, is it? We need to respect the useful work that has been done by the promoters of all the systems, otherwise we're never going to get anywhere.