Kernewek in Cornish dialect

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Nev

Post by Nev » Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:16 am

Not sure how to spell it but we always used Grammersow as the name for a woodlouse.
We also used the word Lowstering which meant the manual labour in clearing weeds from a garden or other ground.
Has anyone come across these?
Stank for us meant something more than just walk - it meant to stamp heavily with your foot.
So if you were stamp on something you would "stank on un"!
Alternatively if you were putting in a fencing post and compressing the earth around it with your foot you would "stank un in"!

Laghyades

Post by Laghyades » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:11 am

Not so much Cornish dialect, so much as an illustration of just WHAT survives the generations, even if in a sort of ossified way.

A great-aunt who grandmother was Welsh always used to say to us kids something that sounded like 'Cardy geg, am biffer!" I've never worked out what the last two words mean, but I now know that the first bit is 'Cardig geg' or 'Shut up!'.

Trevergy

Post by Trevergy » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:43 am

I use grammersow all the time, never woodlouse. Also many other dialect words e.g.launders...never gutters. Always been part of my daily language up here in England, having been brought up in a proper job Cornish environment.

Egloshal

Post by Egloshal » Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:57 pm

Laghyades the first bit is: Cae dy geg (shut your mouth) - ask Bardh about the last bit

Shiner

Post by Shiner » Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:54 pm

Some old dear from the Midlands once said to me..

"I don't know who the am damn he thinks he am, but he thinks he's anyone but himself."