Learning Cornish

Ask your questions about Cornwall here. Whether it be Where, When, Who, What and Why someone\'s sure to know the answer.
Leathlaobhair

Post by Leathlaobhair » Tue Apr 11, 2006 11:43 pm

Dydh da,

I'm looking to learn Cornish with a book/cd set. I already know a good deal of Irish Gaelic and some Welsh, and I'd like to expand that with Kernowek.

I'm not really sure which writing system to learn; it seems that if I'm buying from War-linenn it'd be Kernewek Kemmyn. I like to use learning materials that thoroughly explain things like grammar, structure, and conjugations, etc. Can anyone recommend on which materials are best for a learner of that type? Orthography doesn't really matter to me much though; if it's fantastic and in UCR or Kemmyn I'll get it.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:44 am

Holyewgh an Lergh ("Follow the Path") by Graham Sandercock is one of the best introductions to Kernewek (Kemmyn), and has an accompanying tape.

Skeul an Yeth (The Language Ladder) by Wella Brown is a far more comprehensive grammar course going through all levels of the language but is better approached after completing H an L first.

Leathlaobhair

Post by Leathlaobhair » Wed Apr 12, 2006 5:30 pm

I'll probably order that. It's fairly cheap too, which is nice.

I'll undoubtedly get one of the dictionaries too--but should I get a Grammar? I usually find that they're helpful, but if you have any expereince with the one sold on War-linenn

Kéighlán

Post by Kéighlán » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:25 pm

If ever any of you do one day become fluent in Cornish, if you wamt your language to prosper, i suggest when/if you have children, speak to them only in Cornish, so they shall learn Cornish as their first language. Also when you learn Cornish yourself it may be a good idea to only use Cornish when you talk, unless your friends and family do not speak Cornish.

Egloshal

Post by Egloshal » Thu Apr 10, 2008 3:51 pm

If you go to Ottakers in Truro, or Gwynn ha Du in Liskeard... or indeed most good bookshops... you will find the above as well as a really good new book by Usborne.

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:18 pm

Soon (ASAP, as i say over an over, i am waiting) i will make an Audio Course for the Cornish language, which would evidently not cover spelling systems. But it will vary on accent, such as you can say CHI - with a short i sound - or CHEI - saying the EI as in the letter I - and other examples, but that is easily recognisable, and the differences are regular.

It would be best to learn Kemmyn (No disrespect to any of the other systems.

If you look at many topics, or you may know, there is many spellign systems of Cornish, on the Pennseythun Kernewek (Cornish Weekend, in newquay) an SWF (Standard Written Form) was created.

In all, it is remarkably close to Kernewek Kemmyn (KK), and in the meanwhile, while they tie up all the loose ends and create new texts in the SWF, you should learn KK.

It will give you an easier path to change into the SWF when it becomes widly avaliable.

As i said, I will create an Audio course.

----------

One other product, which i have reccommended to EVERYONE, is TeachMe! (Other members groan), I started using it at Christmas, as a complete beginner.

In March, i had a really quite long conversation in Cornish, and i now speak regularly to people like Egloshal, and at Yeth an Werins.

Although my Cornish isnt BRILLIANT, as many would agree, i can usually get my point across.

It costs £20 (VERY cheap for a software program, aka, Rosetta stone = £339.99) - It comes in about 6 days - you can buy it at www.linguashop.com.
There are 2 products.

Speak! - £20, only the software
TeachMe! - £28, software with small book and audio CD.

Hope you find this helpful, any other questions about this, you can PM me.

TEL

Kéighlán

Post by Kéighlán » Sun Apr 13, 2008 2:22 pm

I shall look for a Cornish phrasebook or cd, can some on here just give me a few phrases please, just stuff like....how are you?
whats your name?, hello/goodbye so on. would be appreciated, thanks.

Nosdan

Post by Nosdan » Sun Apr 13, 2008 3:42 pm

How bout a little conversation:

Dydh da (good day.)
Dydh da, Piw os ta? (who are you?)
Paddy ov vy (I am Paddy) Ha piw os ta?
Jowan ov vy.
Fatla genes Jowan? (How are you Jowan?)

Yn yeghes da, meur ras, ha ty? (in good health, thanks, and you?
Yma anwoes dhym! (I have a cold!)
Soweth (oh dear)
Na fors! My a vydh da lowr (It doesn't matter, I'll be ok.)
Res yw dhym mos (I must go)
Dha weles arta. ( See you again)
Dha weles (see you)

Kéighlán

Post by Kéighlán » Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:42 am

Thanks nosdan :)
i love learning languages, i think im going to have to get my hands on a Cornish cd set thing. But that won't teach me enough, how would i become fluent? im guessing i'd have to have schooling or something, or can a cd or phrase book make me fluent?
there are some phrases that i cannot pronounce as well, and it doesn't tell me how to say them. iv'e heard that Cornish is like Welsh which is good as im not bad at pronouncing Welsh words.

edited by: Kéighlán, Apr 14, 2008 - 12:49 AM

TheElvenLord

Post by TheElvenLord » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:14 pm

PM sent to you Keighlan

TEL