A Cornishman in North Carolina

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
PengellyITA

Post by PengellyITA » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:10 pm

Anyway, we devised a way to get drunk other than drinking meths.

The final night was a grand Cornish banquet with musicians, presentations and the like. Ann Trevenen Jenkin and Moira Tangye got awards and there was food and mirth.

When the Grass Valley Male Voice Choir came out to sing, Howard Curnow, Harry Safari and a few American Cornish got a mate to borrow the Gathering minibus and drive 40 miles to the next county (called Butt County, I think - or maybe they were having me on) to a PUB.

Now we were all wearing kilts and tartan and we walked into a student-type bar where all these girls were out on a hen night.

PengellyITA

Post by PengellyITA » Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:21 pm

Before long, the girls were asking us if they could look under our kilts as they wanted to collect as many pairs of underwear possible.

Well, one of our party was 'swinging in the breeze' and proved this point. A small audience had gathered so we sang a few Cornish ditties and soon the free beers were flowing.

The beer is sold in half gallon jars for $10 and there was an impressive range of around 15 real ales from the neighbouring states. This is a far cry from the West Coast where all they have is dire Bud/Coors lager.

Anyway, we got pissed and I missed breakfast. I tried to find a local fastfood joint but being the Bible Belt everywhere was shut as everyone was pretending they were at church. In the town I stayed there was a town clock that, instead of chiming on the hour, played part of a hymn on the organ.

Morgarrow

Post by Morgarrow » Tue Aug 02, 2005 9:57 pm

Enough, or am I boring you?

Are you still out there or back in the homeland? Where have we got to go for more news of the trip? I see from one of the other topics those good ole Wisconsin cousins did us proud for St Piran's Day this year. Did ee have a walk over theer to say yow?

PengellyITA

Post by PengellyITA » Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:37 pm

No hell, I've been back ages.
Hell of a journey back, lot's of security and waiting around.
Travelled back with three bards of the Gorseth which was interesting.
I'm back at Cornish World now frantically putting the next issue together.
I think it's time to make the next issue a little more political.
I tell you what though, the American Cornish are a good bunch.