Thank you aunty!!

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:21 am

The Beeb is coming to the net, rejoice!! Quality, unbiased, well made news, current affairs, documentaries and programs will be available world-wide, what more could we ask for?

Last Updated: Saturday, 27 August 2005, 19:56 GMT 20:56 UK
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4187036.stm

BBC TV channels to be put on net

The BBC's TV channels will be made available on the internet, BBC Director General Mark Thompson has confirmed. He announced plans for the MyBBCPlayer - which will allow viewers to legally download seven days of programmes - at the Edinburgh Television Festival.

He said he hoped the service would launch next year. Mr Thompson said that unless the BBC adapted "we won't deserve or get licence-fee funding beyond 2016... that is very definitely not our plan".

A simulcast of BBC One or BBC Two, letting UK viewers see programmes on the web at the same time as they go out on TV, is also planned as part of MyBBCPlayer .

"We believe that on-demand changes the terms of the debate, indeed that it will change what we mean by the word 'broadcasting'," said Mr Thompson. "Every creative leader in the BBC is wrestling with the question of what the new technologies and audience behaviours mean for them and their service," he added.

"An expanding portion" of the BBC's audio and video material from the archive will also be able to be accessed via MyBBCPlayer. "It should make it easier for users to find the content they want whenever and wherever they want it," Mr Thompson said.

The popularity of the BBC's Bitesize revision series and Beethoven symphonies made available via the internet proves that viewers are already "very sophisticated in the use of this media," he said. In a departure from past corporation policy, the player would also enable viewers to buy items via the BBC site.

"The idea that in the age of the iPod that the public would not welcome the opportunity to buy a piece of music they heard on the site seems to me to be ridiculous," he said. Mr Thompson said he would be unable to estimate the cost of the MyBBC Player scheme until the government had confirmed a date for digital switchover - when all of the UK's analogue TV signals will be switched off.

He also responded to Lord Birt's James MacTaggart Memorial lecture, in which Lord Birt suggested that Channel 4 should receive extra funding to secure its status as a public service broadcaster.

Mr Thompson said this aim should not be achieved by giving the channel a share of the BBC's licence fee. "If you want to strengthen public service broadcasting, beginning to unpick the solidity of the BBC funding to shore up other channels is the wrong way to do it," Mr Thompson said.

Proposals to make clips available on mobile phones are also being speeded up, director of TV Jana Bennett said last week. The BBC received a "wake-up call" about the demand for new technology in March when the first episode of the new Doctor Who was leaked on to the internet, she said.

A BBC spokesman said the corporation was aiming to simulcast a channel permanently but would restrict it to UK viewers only. "These plans are subject to the approval of the board of governors and the resolution of rights clearance issues on content like music and imported shows," he said.

As well as the simulcast plan, more shows are set to follow the lead of BBC Three comedy The Mighty Boosh and appear on the internet before TV. Sketch show Titty Bang Bang, sitcom Two Pints of Lager and a Packet of Crisps and Johnny Vegas' show Ideal will be made available on the internet first.

Clips from the shows will also be made available on mobile phones. The makers of the new Doctor Who series are among the producers who have been developing ways to use mobile phone and portable players.

And extra content has been filmed for broadband to accompany BBC One's autumn contemporary Shakespeare series.

Oh deep joy...

Kernow

Post by Kernow » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:17 pm

:D Wonderful news for ex-pats, they can keep abreast of the news in the real world. :idea:

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:56 am

And, once they get the stone tablets engraved, we can catch up on what's new in the world of the Cornish nationalists...

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:33 am

Now that is exactly the kind of cheap comment that gets up the backs of the Cornish and, if anything, joins us further in a call for recognition of our people and country.

When will these racist 'can't read or write' or 'have sex with sheep' or 'commit acts of incest' jibes cease?

You have a dark, yet childish, side Stroppygit.

Blah blah blah..
Joe, I'll take you seriously when you apologise for your unwarranted personal attack on me, in the "A Cornishman needs help� thread.

PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-411.htm

Oh, and I see it was Kernow who started the p!ss taking in this thread, but nothing was said about that...

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:55 am

shit Joe if we can't laugh at ourselves its a poor bleedy job

Fancyabrew

Post by Fancyabrew » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:57 am

one born every minute in Wales! ;o)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/south_east/4197306.stm

How about we start bottling Cornish hot air, when’s the next MK meeting again?

Kernow

Post by Kernow » Wed Aug 31, 2005 2:54 pm

Take the urine, you misread my comments, as you would, SG

:roll:

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Wed Aug 31, 2005 5:26 pm

Joe, don't waste your energy on fancygit or stroppybrew (I think they may be a hybrid) it's just that the political parties they support have nothing to say on Cornwall so they both cover this up (or think they are) by sniping at anyone they think belongs to a Cornish party or organisation that has enthusiasm and ideas.

Xxxxxx

Post by Xxxxxx » Wed Aug 31, 2005 11:50 pm

Joe, don't waste your energy on fancygit or stroppybrew

I do wish he wouldn't! He's got nothing to add to the debates apart from personal attacks, very much the "one trick pony."

And even if Fancyabrew and myself give views that do not fit with the MK, assembly, independence, slant of this forum, what is a debate forum but the chance to put differing views. If it were not for the likes of me and him the forums every thread would be.

"I blame the English oppressors"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"

"What we need is an Assembly"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"

"MK got more votes than anyone else in Cornwall, but they didn't get any seats, thats-o-o-o-o- unfair"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"

"IF Erik the Viking hadn't missed Cornwall in 345 BC, the English wouldn't be runniing Cornwall, and we'd be able to live on Eurpean grants and the 1000% tax on second homes, we'd give every Cornish kid a free house, and live traditional lifestyles untroubled by the modern world, all speaking one of the Cornish languages and burning effigies of Prince Charles at the stake every lammastide..."
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"
"I agree"

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:08 am

Very funny stroppy - you're a card. Ummm! don't know what else to say really.

Porthia1947

Post by Porthia1947 » Thu Sep 01, 2005 1:15 am

Very funny stroppy - you're a card. Mmmm! don't know what else to say really. Basically you've said nothing and most of those active in the Cornish Movement haven't got time to read your funny quips anyway, so fill your boots if it's therapeutically helpful for you.

Both yourself and fancybrew have said nothing really and I think it's quite obvious to everyone that's been the case from your initial "contributions". If you weren't making quips what do you have to say??? Most of us think ..... NOTHING!

As you can see I'm repeating myself and beginning to mimick your modus operandi :wink: