Carrick

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
Abieuan

Post by Abieuan » Fri Sep 16, 2005 11:28 pm

I'm a Carrick man, born and bred - Carrick in Scotland that is!

Few people here know there is a Carrick in Kernow, and i doubt if many in Carrick-Kernow know of Carrick-Alba, so i thought i would post.

We are in the south west, the southernmost part of Ayrshire, although formerly, untill 1186, the northermost part of Galloway- but we remained culturaly,geographically and lingually northwest Galloway.

We were the last Gaelic speaking area in southern Scotland.
After the defeat of the Jacobites in 1746, the government sent out surveyors around Scotland, and in Carrick they reported that in the towns English and Gaelic were spoken, but in the countryside only Gaelic.
The last native speaker died in 1861, so this was a very rapid decline, probably due to political issues involving support for the government or the Jacobite cause.

The "Carrick" in this instance refers to an odd granite rock/island called the Ailsa Craig which is clearly visible from any point on our 30 mile coastline.
This is where Curling Stones were quarried.

Robert the Bruce was Earl of Carrick (and Annandale) before winning the Crown, and his first guerilla army were all Carrick men.
Sadly, the title is now held by Prince Charles.

It is a pity that there is no civic contact between our two districts, as we have much in common.

GolowDydh

Post by GolowDydh » Sat Sep 17, 2005 3:30 pm

[quote="troll"]Does anyone have any idea where Carrick (Cornwall) got its name from?

I assume that Carrick district comes from the natural harbour of Carrick Roads, carrek again means rock. Black rock which sits at the entrance is the modern name for the feature which was originally called 'an garrak ruen' meaning seal rock.

I used to spend a bit of time in SW Scotland, I particularly remember the lovely views from Kennerdys pass, walking in the forest and collecting pebbles at Dunure, a very beatiful place.

Abieuan

Post by Abieuan » Sat Sep 17, 2005 11:32 pm

Yes, it's 9.5 miles from here (Girvan), although some days it looks so close that you might think you could swim to it.
It's an RSPB sanctuary now. I went to school with the lighthouse keeper's son, but it is automated now.
The island is over two miles in circumference, and 1,114 feet in height, and has been written about by many poets including Keats and Wordsworth.
The few old quarrymans cottages are owned by some unknown rich foreigner - I used to think that if i were ever rich i would buy it and declare it a Gaelic only speaking island!

Abieuan

Post by Abieuan » Sat Oct 29, 2005 9:44 pm

Mmm, well that didn't work - it was supposed to be an aerial view of the Ailsa Craig.
Sorry :oops: