Turkey

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
Abieuan

Post by Abieuan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:30 pm

Well done Austria for blocking Turkey's entry into the EU.

I don't want Turkey in because of my support for the Kurds -the world's biggest stateless nation, not to mention hardly any of it is in Europe anyway.
Turkey contains the largest number of Kurds, and their culture and language is still forcibly repressed.
Austria is the only country blocking their entry, i hope they do not crumble under the pressure they must be under from all the other memberstates.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Mon Oct 03, 2005 8:03 pm

I think Turkey entering the Union is the best chance the Kurds have got next to an independent Kurdistan breaking away from Iraq, which incidentally is looking more likely every day.

A firm NO to Turkey would leave them with no particular reason to care about the Kurds or the Armenian genocide. At least these issues are big and on the table while Turkey is trying to enter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armenian_genocide

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurd

I also think a Muslim country as full partner in the union could possibly bridge the gap between two worlds, something that is needed at the moment I think you would agree.

Abieuan

Post by Abieuan » Mon Oct 03, 2005 9:06 pm

Fulub says:

I think Turkey entering the Union is the best chance the Kurds have got next to an independent Kurdistan breaking away from Iraq, which incidentally is looking more likely every day.

Turkey entering the Union would indeed give the Kurds some protection, but i think quite a few "blind eyes" would be turned as well.
I can't see Turkey allowing the Iraqi Kurds independence as this would give groups like the PKK a safe base from which to conduct opperations in Turkey.
I remember at the start of the Iraq war, on BBC News24, seeing tens of thousands of Turkish troops massing on the border incase the Kurds did try to declare independence.
If the EU can persuade Turkey to allow Kurds in Iraq their own state this would help their language and culture flourish, but i don't think they really care.

Brian says;

The way they treat the Kurds is dreadful. They have even banned their language.

They have even banned parents from registering the births of children with Kurdish names, they are told by the registars to submit Turkish names or they will not be registered!