Planes or Volcano?

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
shaz

Post by shaz » Sat Apr 17, 2010 5:48 pm

More here

People have been commenting a lot on Twitter about how clear the skies are with no chem trails  especially in London! 

HeamoorMan

Post by HeamoorMan » Sun Apr 18, 2010 12:33 am

I really dont know what to make of all this Volcanoe Ash business grounding hundreds of planes all over europe and further afield.......How is it we have never experienced it before now?

You cant tell me, that during the flying history of the UK and Europe etc, that there have never been clouds of Volcanic Ash in the sky before now! or volcanoes erupting!

How many Volcanoes have erupted over the years?

And how have they managed before in Countries that have active Volcanoes which spew out lava, Gases and Ash etc, etc, all the time?

Sorry but to me this just does not add up!!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:05 am

I've actually heard someone crowing that the reduction in aircraft flights has saved x amount of carbon being released into the atmosphere, and I shook my head with sadness.

How much carbon, etc., is being pumped up there by the VOLCANO, for God's sake?  Or its neighbour which has started to erupt in sympathy (which it has a historical record of doing).  A decent-sized eruption will bang more carbon into the atmosphere in a week than the whole of the UK can in a year, aircraft flights and all.

But then - governments can't tax volcanoes.

Heamoor Man - aircraft engines have been clogged and stopped by volcanic ash.  It's a bugger of a substance (as the people of Pompeii might have told you).  You don't hear about most cases of flight cancellation around the world for this reason - just this one because it affects British flights.

Shiner

Post by Shiner » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:46 am

"How much carbon, etc., is being pumped up there by the VOLCANO, for God's sake?"

Its in the graph that Shazron included in the first post.

Doesn't the sky look great today without the 28,000 daily flights over European airspace?

And full sunshine predicted so the plants can use up lots of the natural and healthy CO2 plant food our busy lives create for them.

Everything is OK.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Apr 18, 2010 4:50 pm

Eyjafjallajokull has a whole lot more to pump out yet, and its neighbour Katla has only just started.  Katla has a history of some quite sizeable bangs.

But, as you say, it was nice today for me and ole Paddy to stare up from our beer at a cloudless blue sky clear of vapour trails today (and yesterday, too).  Roll on next weekend if this weather holds.

P.S. - If the ash cloud is heading south and not east into Norway as predicted, we might get to see some spectacular sunsets.

shaz

Post by shaz » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:57 am

That be the proper way to travel! great weather for orse riding, its suppose to last down here for the rest of the week at least 

A world without planes

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:09 am

Depends on how you want to travel.  If you want a lazy, laid-back, "sod the urgency and get there eventually" ride, then dear ol' Paddy's just the ticket. 

If you want a zoom with a view, then 18 hands of Shogun the giant can't be bettered (but you need an oxygen tank, 'cos the air's bloody thin at that height.  Not recommended for vertigo sufferers, although he's a total gentleman). 

For "get towed around the countryside at an almighty rate of knots", then Maple, the pocket rocket, would really do it (she's a sweetie, really, just over-enthusiastic). 

But, for the perfect ride, safe fun at all speeds with a touch of gentle humour along the way, you've lost out and so have I - that was Larnie.  Bless her.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:56 pm

In the end, who gives a sod about the flight disruptions and empty shelves at Tesco (who can bring most products in by sea, unless they start buying from British producers)?

If Katla - which is a damn sight bigger than Eyjafyallajokull and has a huge magma chamber - really goes, then how about our media caring for the Icelandic inhabitants in the way of the horrendous floods it will cause through melting the glaciers that cover both volcanoes?

truru

Post by truru » Mon Apr 19, 2010 9:37 pm

Not sure I would want to spend a month sailing to Sydney. Plug the volcano and bring back the planes I say.

Shiner

Post by Shiner » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:52 pm

There's a big EU Air exercise going on while all commercial flights are grounded..

12APR10   
22APR10
BRILLIANT ARDENT 2010
Germany
Large scale NATO air exercise.

12APR10
22APR10
BRILLIANT MARINER 2010
Denmark / Germany
Large scale NATO/NRF maritime exercises.

12APR10
23APR10
FRISIAN FLAG 2010
The Netherlands
International air exercise in the northern part of Holland.

12APR10
23APR10
JOINT WARRIOR 101
United Kingdom
Large scale national air/maritime exercise.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:12 am

Links on Wiki are giving stunning photos of the eruption, complete with bolts of bright red lightning, and its effect on the surrounding area and people.  Apparently, the next-door volcano Katla hasn't got going yet, but is expected to.  It seems that every time this volcano goes up, Katla follows and, if these bangs are big, Katla's are bigger.

Griffin

Post by Griffin » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:13 am

I know more than 10 people personally who are currently stuck in various parts of the world because they can't get home, and know friends who have friends who are also stuck.

and someone who works in the airline industry told me that this will definitely effect the airlines, especially those who are paying for some of the expenses of their passingers.

perhaps we should bring back passinger liners?
Take my advice, I'm not using it anyhow.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:56 am

Well, flights have resumed and already the armchair critics are at it.  "Overreaction!  Must have an Inquiry!  All this money lost!  Heads must roll!".  Etc.

If just one plane had ended up with clogged engines and crashed, then the same armchair experts would be screaming 'Who allowed the planes to fly?  Must have an Inquiry!  Heads must roll!".

Griffin

Post by Griffin » Wed Apr 21, 2010 1:15 pm

:lol:
I think it might even be cheaper for people to travel by boat at the moment. prices of flights from here to europe are $12000 at the lowest.... some even $15000
Take my advice, I'm not using it anyhow.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:04 am

BBC reports that the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull was abating have been somewhat premature. 

The Icelandic Met Office reports that, this morning, its eruptions were banging a hefty white ash cloud to a height of three kilometres. 

Meanwhile, the Icelandic Premier, on the advice of on-site vulcanologists, has authorised emergency planning for an expected eruption of Katla.