Planes or Volcano?

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:04 am

BBC reports that the eruption of Eyjafjallajokull was abating have been somewhat premature. 

The Icelandic Met Office reports that, this morning, its eruptions were banging a hefty white ash cloud to a height of three kilometres. 

Meanwhile, the Icelandic Premier, on the advice of on-site vulcanologists, has authorised emergency planning for an expected eruption of Katla.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:02 am

Apparently some planes have had their engines damaged by the ash-cloud, which is currently going north-west, rather than south-east which was the problem with European flight cancellations.  The eruption is showing no signs of abating and has put an estimated 140 million tons of material into the atmosphere.

The Icelandic authorities are as worried as hell about Katla, any eruption of which would be "huge compared to Eyjafjallajokull".  Katla is covered by 1,000 feet of ice and the resultant flooding could be catastrophic.

Two other volcanoes are currently erupting: one off the Indian coast, the other on Vanuatu.

I vividly remember sailing around the world's most active volcano, Stromboli, when I was 8 years old.  This amazing volcano goes off two or three times per hour and has done so from at least Roman times (and got the nickname: 'the lighthouse of the Mediterranean').  It was the sound of the thing that never left me: like some huge throbbing engine.  Volcanoes have fascinated me ever since, and I did a fair bit of research on them for the writing of 'Nautilus', which came out in December (see Amazon).  There are some nice clips of Stromboli on Youtube.  Just to the south is the island of Vulcano, which gave its name to all volcanoes.  This one hasn't erupted for centuries but still simmers.  Etna is visible from both islands.