World Cup

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
Marhak

World Cup

Post by Marhak » Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:25 am

Radio London (Cornwall Branch) is really at it, with Churchfield going on about "our" England team, etc., ad nauseam.

Mind you, what a howler by Rob Green! I know what he did - he didn't observe the first rule of goalkeeping: to watch the ball right into your hands. He assumed a straightforward gather, but took his eye off the ball to look at who was available for him to give it to. (His England team goalkeeping coach is Ray Clemence - I remember him doing exactly the same thing in a game against Scotland at Hampden Park, so he's coaching Green too damn well!).

Mark Schwarzer wasn't much better last night for Australia. For Germany's second goal, that aerial ball was his all the way. He let Klose get in front of him and chickened out on the punch. He actually turned away as he jumped for it! That's unacceptable in Combination League football, let alone an international cap. Damn it, Schwarzer is a big man but he played that like a girl. Sorry, just like Shilton's failure with Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal, he should have gone straight through ball and man. Brave header by Klose, though, knowing that he might well get his head punched off. What is it about modern keepers, though, that so many of them are awful on high balls under pressure?

I was impressed by the young German keeper, though. I'd never heard of him but liked what I saw - he dealt with several high balls under pressure, and did it well. He was very calm, too. I have to say that I was impressed by Germany, too. Some of their attacking moves were breathtaking. Old Adolf wouldn't have liked it, though, not with German players of Turkish extraction and even a black Brazilian, Kakau, recently naturalised with German citizenship! Can't wait to see Spain in action - they're my tip for this World Cup. They don't have a difficult group and will probably win it - which will then bring a second round game against either Brazil or Portugal. Tasty!

carrek

Re: World Cup

Post by carrek » Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:34 pm

Marhak wrote:Radio London (Cornwall Branch) is really at it, with Churchfield going on about "our" England team, etc., ad nauseam.
Ignorance isn't just an ailment of the English media...

"An English Cornish pasty from our English cousins, complete with English flag, English English English English"

http://living.stv.tv/food-drink/recipes ... ish-pasty/

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:18 pm

carrek wrote:
Marhak wrote:Radio London (Cornwall Branch) is really at it, with Churchfield going on about "our" England team, etc., ad nauseam.
Ignorance isn't just an ailment of the English media...

"An English Cornish pasty from our English cousins, complete with English flag, English English English English"

http://living.stv.tv/food-drink/recipes ... ish-pasty/
You kind of expect better of the scots ...

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:16 pm

A powerful section of the Scottish establishment has been busy for several centuries trying to wipe out Gaelic culture and other inconvenient minorities. I don't know why you'd expect them to have any respect for the Cornish.

Carbilly

Post by Carbilly » Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:55 pm

adio London (Cornwall Branch) is really at it, with Churchfield going on about "our" England team, etc., ad nauseam.[quote][quote]
Expect pages and pages in the Northcliffe papers of people in Cornish pubs with St Georges' cross flags and faces cheering on ''our'' boys.
(how do you quote on this forum now!?)

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:15 am

They already are Carbilly. Didn't you see Thursday's West Brit's 'What's On' section?
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Kevrenor

Post by Kevrenor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:38 am

Marhak wrote: Mark Schwarzer wasn't much better last night for Australia. For Germany's second goal, that aerial ball was his all the way. He let Klose get in front of him and chickened out on the punch. He actually turned away as he jumped for it! That's unacceptable in Combination League football, let alone an international cap. Damn it, Schwarzer is a big man but he played that like a girl. Sorry, just like Shilton's failure with Maradona's 'Hand of God' goal, he should have gone straight through ball and man. Brave header by Klose, though, knowing that he might well get his head punched off. What is it about modern keepers, though, that so many of them are awful on high balls under pressure?
Please don't remind me Marhak, the pain still hasn't subsided.

Actually that game was very unlike his normal play ... hasn't been the same since he got injured a few months ago.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:47 am

On that basis, Kevrenor, should he have been selected? Another goalkeeping howler robbed Paraguay of what would have been a well-deserved win over Italy last night. Keeper came for the cross, clear of other players - and missed it completely! (To be fair, he did catch one under pressure a bit later on). Shame - Italy didn't deserve a point, in my opinion. Poor game. Neither keeper required to break sweat, or even collect grass stains, and Italy looked a shadow of their former selves. Very little to show up front, no inventiveness, and few of their players even looked interested until the last 5 minutes. Probably pissed at the rain ruining their coiffures. I wonder why they substituted Buffon at half-time? No goalkeeper would have got to Paraguay's goal, so it can't be that. Nor could I see any sign (or cause) of injury, seeing that he had nothing to do.

Kevrenor

Post by Kevrenor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:26 am

Marhak wrote:On that basis, Kevrenor, should he have been selected?
A very good question ... only the coach knows for sure after he was rested in the trials. The answer from me is that Mark in poor form is still way ahead of the second stringers, and with Brad Jones withdrawing a week ago due to 4 yo son with Leukemia, we have to stick with him.

The hopes of 30,000 of our fans in SA and milions here rest on him coming good.

More worry was our defence and defensive midfielders who allowed the shots to be created.

Very pleased that our Asian colleagues South Korea and Japan have won, and hoping for the Kiwis tonight!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:14 am

I didn't know that about Brad Jones's boy. That's very sad and I hope things get better (they did with Gary Lineker's boy, if I remember rightly). Yes, nice for S. Korea and Japan - that's good for the game. (I wonder what your thoughts are for N. Korea, though). Mark will have to have to get in some intensive training on crosses (when a teenager at Falmouth Town, they used to sling crosses in from both wings - I HAD to get them, and they'd send guys in to hit me. Bloody hard bruising graft - two busted ribs on one occasion - but it made me decent on crosses. It was drilled into me that, if I'd decided to go, and had called, then it was my ball and I was to go straight through anyone in the way - even my own defender). Now that goalkeepers aren't allowed to be hit, WHY are so many of them so poor in that aspect of the game? Even David James - he's 6 foot 5 and bloody huge, for Heaven's sake!

Kevrenor

Post by Kevrenor » Tue Jun 15, 2010 9:24 am

Marhak wrote:I wonder what your thoughts are for N. Korea, though
Read my reports on recent women's games between our girls and theirs!

http://back-of-the-net.com/2009-2010/Misc/Misc_NT20.htm

http://back-of-the-net.com/2009-2010/ACW/ACW-AUvsNK.htm

Colours my thoughts of the men (as of course does the regime - much more so!)

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Tue Jun 15, 2010 10:14 am

Karesk wrote:A powerful section of the Scottish establishment has been busy for several centuries trying to wipe out Gaelic culture and other inconvenient minorities. I don't know why you'd expect them to have any respect for the Cornish.
You're right of course within all the countries there are 'the establishment' who are no friends of our cultures - and this is definitely not a new problem!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:36 pm

And that, I'm sorry to say, includes Cornwall. We have our quislings, too.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:41 pm

Claire POLKINGHORNE? She HAS to be Cornish! And Penwith Cornish at that!

The surname, Kevrenor, is taken from a place name and there are two of them: Polkinghorne, Madron, and a farm of the same name in Gwinear. It translates as "pool belonging to a man called Kynhorn (a Brythonic personal name from cuno-isarnos, "iron hound"). The family would almost certainly have originated in one of those two places.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Jun 15, 2010 2:58 pm

Well done, New Zealand!!!! Heavily the underdogs but held their own during the first half. Conceded early in the second but refused to give in. They had several good chances but equalised with seconds left with a good header well wide of the keeper, very similar to Slovakia's goal. Argyle's Rory Fallon played well. The ref (South African) did well, too. Only issued two yellows as far as I can recall (one to each side) and did his best to allow the game to flow. When the small footballing nations do well, it can only be good for the game.