S4C

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
Anselm

S4C

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:17 am

There was a rally in front of the Welsh Government buildings on Saturday, with speaker after speaker denouncing the ConDem plans to destroy Welsh-medium television. S4C took years of sacrifice to establish: people are not going to let the enemy without get away with this.

Margaret Thatcher may have been an incarnation of evil, but she was not stupid (albeit exuberantly ignorant on some matters). She knew when to make a tactical retreat. Unless the ConDems come to their senses now, they've just made their first big mistake.

It's not for nothing that Gandhi and Martin Luther King are heroes in Wales. Children are taught their speeches: "Mae gennyf freuddwyd...[/i. The ConDems need to start listening immediately.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Re: S4C

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 08, 2010 12:58 am

Second big mistake. Violating our border was the first. The common denominator? Both target the Celtic nations. The agenda is clear. Cameron, when in opposition, courted support from Cornwall by appointing a "Shadow" Minister for Cornwall and promising a real one if he came to power. OK, so where is he? It never was an intention to appoint one.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 8:00 am

Good point. As you say, second big mistake.
Yes, Minister. Remind me of his name ...
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:26 pm

I can never remember his name (the character). The actor was Paul Eddington. The manipulative senior civil servant was Sir Humphrey.

However, looking at today's politicians in London, I'm reminded more of Alan B'stard.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 08, 2010 1:28 pm

Or the sinister Prime Minister character brilliantly played by Ian Richardson (from books by David Nobbs - what the hell was the title???).

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:43 pm

I couldn't possibly comment.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 10:45 pm

Anyway, who WAS our very own hand-crafted, customed, titanium-enhanced Shadow Minister from Cornwall? Was it the one with glasses who was always eating, or the one with the squeaky voice whose Mama told him to put on his cap and scarf before he went out?
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:05 pm

Mark Prisk.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 08, 2010 11:24 pm

I know what you're thinking. DON'T, or Master Mark will burst into tears. Remind me why Cammers might have thought he was the man for that particular non-job (even more pointless than being Tory Secretary of State against Wales).
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:26 am

My memory fails me. It wasn't David Nobbs (he created Reginald Perrin) but Michael Dobbs - and the trilogy was called "House of Cards". The Machiavellian minister, then Prime Minister Francis Urquhart was the part played by the incomparable Ian Richardson.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:31 am

Got the -obbs right anyway (mind you - if my surname was Nobbs, I think I'd look to change it). Richardson - fantastic actor. Brilliant at all he did, and sorely missed. When he was playing Urquhart, I used to love his scheming aside-comments to the camera. The look in his eye was downright wicked. Wonderful touch, that I believe was his own suggestion to the programme makers.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 09, 2010 12:34 am

Re: Prisk, I can only think it was because of some vague connection with Cornwall.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Nov 09, 2010 8:05 am

Perhaps Cammers thought he was Brazilian.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:40 am

That wouldn't surprise me at all.

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Tue Nov 09, 2010 11:13 am

Again spot on Marhak. Every week I write to Cameron to ask him where the substantive Minister for Cornwall is and every week he fails to reply. So this is democracy ?

I understand thousands in Cymru have now refused to pay their TV over the S4C issue and I don't pay the fee either. Good. It is now high time to challenge the authorities as never before. This is no longer a democracy but a dictatorship.

Spraycans, refusing to pay Government inspired taxes, publicly abusing politicians is the only way.

I support wholeheartedly those who refuse to pay their TV licences. More and more don't here in Kernow.

Resources:

http://www.tvlicensing.biz/
http://www.lime-...marmalade.net/
http://www.freewebs.com/jonesuk/

The TVLA don't have the powers they would have you think they have.

Mike C