Conservatives big budget plan hits students of England

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
qwertywun

Conservatives big budget plan hits students of England

Post by qwertywun » Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:32 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11726822

while eating my dinner i seen this on the news, as someone who plans to go to uni in a couple of years this really worries me. a plan to double tuition fee's & in some cases triple, increasing the margin to £9000 as the maximum fee's allowed to be set by the uni's...

£9000 is a lot of money & a lot of students struggle to get into a job under the subject they took, i see this as one hell of a dramatic increase in cost & thats not even including housing, bills, ect when for there living whilst at uni, i wonder who will get hit in the conservatives big budget plan next... obviously not the rich

carrek

Re: Conservatives big budget plan hits students of England

Post by carrek » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:04 pm

When I was at uni £3000 a year was high enough...

£9000 a year - leaving uni with a debt of £27,000 is just ridiculous. Especially when Scottish students don't pay a penny.

I can see calls for a Cornish Assembly increasing from Cornish students. It's time we had a devolved education system in the Duchy like Wales and Scotland rather than paying extortionate amounts just to help balance Whitehall's books. They're the ones that wasted so much money, yet they're not the ones paying the price.

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:42 pm

'I can see calls for a Cornish Assembly increasing from Cornish students. It's time we had a devolved education system in the Duchy,
So then who pays? The taxpayers in Cornwall? Get real.

qwertywun

Post by qwertywun » Wed Nov 10, 2010 9:41 pm

to me it just seems a redicuals amount of money to go uni, it would be reasonable if they raised it a couple of grand but come on its £9000 they are talking... the average pay in england is 25k a year, £9000 is already over a 1/3 of that & thats not even including living costs, i think there is gonna be a lot of "unpeaceful" protests when the government finally do announce there big budget plan

& tbh, i dont know many people who are on 25k+ a year

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:46 pm

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-11729912

The actions of these brave students against the Axis of Evil is wonderful. Democracy has failed. We must now follow the example of the other European countries and ignore politicians and take our protest to the streets. As one involved in the student strikes and protests of the early and mid 1970's, I am so proud that today's students are prepared to take action. A great day ! I hope to see and to participate in future demonstrations.

Mike C

Cornish Rex

Post by Cornish Rex » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:33 pm

"The actions of these brave students against the Axis of Evil is wonderful. Democracy has failed. We must now follow the example of the other European countries and ignore politicians and take our protest to the streets. As one involved in the student strikes and protests of the early and mid 1970's, I am so proud that today's students are prepared to take action. A great day ! I hope to see and to participate in future demonstrations." Posted by Mike C.

Great idea, let the students riot and smash the place up which will cost thousands to repair all being paid for by the tax payer, US!!!!!. I agree the rise to 9k is ludicrous and should be at least 5k, but don't forget the reason for all these cuts and rises come about after 13 years of the most useless government this country has ever seen, SPEND, SPEND, SPEND, BORROW, BORROW, BORROW, New Labour ha what a laugh just the same as old Labour.