HOTEL WELSH LANGUAGE BAN SPARKS ANGER

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
Anselm

Re: HOTEL WELSH LANGUAGE BAN SPARKS ANGER

Post by Anselm » Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:52 pm

Public bodies lead the way. All persons have a certain right to use the Welsh language . with them. From this, it follows that they have a duty to make this possible. Failure or refusal to use Welsh has been deleterious to the efficiency of public bodies for centuries. Such dereliction is no longer lawful. Mere declarations of vague goodwill will not be enough. Indeed, the feelings of individual officials are as irrelevant in connection with the language as they are in connection with all other matters.

To be continued ...
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Trevorpen

Post by Trevorpen » Fri Apr 22, 2011 10:16 pm

The majority in Wales never use the Welsh langage. Period

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:24 pm

Voluntary and commercial organizations have followed the public sector, and Welsh is now to be seen in retail premises, transport interfaces, leisure facilities, and all kinds of places where people gather, as well as on the Internet.

To be continued ...
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:27 am

Intolerance of Welsh, in effect, had legal sanction. The kind of ridiculous boor who demanded that people speak no Welsh in his or her presence spoke with the authority of the State. (It was always very curious to be asked "Haven't you got any f*cking manners?" by some lout who patently had no grasp of such a concept.) This is no longer the case.

On the question of the requirements imposed on public bodies by the current legislation, Keith's brilliant parody of a 'Daily Mail' leader stands quite, quite by itself. Absolutely priceless! I'm away for a few days now, but will summarize the procedural aspects of the question when I get back.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

factotum

Post by factotum » Sat Apr 23, 2011 12:51 pm

I support the real use of Welsh and other 'minor' languages for real communication in real meaningful situations. What I'm against is tokenism which IMO easily brings the language in question into disrepute.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:17 pm

Exactly! You've taken the very words out of my ... er ... keyboard. Where institutions could once get away with a few taken words or phrases here and there, they now have to operate something closer to equality in a reasonable and efficient manner. Without going into administrative and legal technicalities, this means prescribing defined standards, just as in any other area of operation - public health, education, environmental monitoring, or whatever it may be. The aim is the normalization of linguistic equality, so that both are reasonably available without any citizen's having to suffer any adversity whatsoever from their choice.

In respect of the instant case, it appears that there may be a possibility of reconciliation, and so I shall refrain from any comment.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 7:47 pm

Trevorpen wrote:The majority in Wales never use the Welsh langage. Period
Whatever 'langage' is, we thought it was a placename ?

Many English and those who identify as such always have an issue with size. They have lost their Empire, their own United Kingdom is falling apart, their armed forces are dwindling (shock horror, their navy is smaller than France's and their air force the size of Belgium's the London press wails !), their industry has collapsed, their economy in ruins, their sports teams vary from mediocre to utter failure and they become nasty and lash out at anything which challenges their self perception of universality and greatness. Big is no longer beautiful.

In 2004 611,000 people (21.7% of the population of Wales in households or communal establishments) were able to speak Welsh. That figure is increasing.

Bad luck Trevorpen !

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Apr 26, 2011 7:00 am

The increase seems to be higher amongst younger agegroups. Interesting demographic.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:13 am

Which is what we must aim for in the case of Cornish.