CYMRU: PROTEST TO EQUALITY COMMISSIONER OVER HOTEL ISSUE

Discussion about what\'s going on outside of Cornwall
kbcl1

Re: CYMRU: PROTEST TO EQUALITY COMMISSIONER OVER HOTEL ISSUE

Post by kbcl1 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:05 pm

Cormorant wrote:How Catholic-centric is the Celtic League?
Very very Catholic. That's why a large number of them were at a Pagan ceremony in west Cornwall yesterday. What a silly question to ask but then, it is asked by a very silly little man.

http://www.celticleague.net/aims-and-objectives/

"We are non sectarian."

kbcl1

Post by kbcl1 » Sun May 01, 2011 6:07 pm

Mark wrote:Oh Trev!

"We are the English. You will be assimilated. Your biological and technological distinctiveness will be added to our own. Resistance is futile."

Or so you think...
Exactly and well said. What a silly remark made by Trevorpen who will never understand the Cornish yet alone their brethren, the Welsh.

factotum

Post by factotum » Sun May 01, 2011 7:20 pm

Craig : Bilingual signs are good for establishing a political identity, but this is linguistic tokenism. It will do next to nothing to bring the language back.

I've seen Welsh signs on trains in Cornwall. I'm never sure whether to be pleased or mildly insulted. Why no Cornish then? OTOH there are probably more Welsh speakers in Cornwall than Cornish speakers. I can read the Welsh signs, but they don't tell me anything different from the English ones next to them. Hardly a culturally rich experience. What's point? The space would be better used to post up a prize winning englyn or two.

carrek

Post by carrek » Sun May 01, 2011 7:27 pm

Because the trains were originally designed for use in Wales. Or because they were used for Wales and West. Durrrrrrrrr

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun May 01, 2011 9:48 pm

It is not tokenism. It's a step forward, and many other steps forward are going on as we argue the matter.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue May 03, 2011 6:54 am

Indeed so. The point is that the Welsh language be seen everywhere in Wales. If it's seen in other countries as well in the process, I can't see any conceivable objection.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue May 03, 2011 6:59 am

Poor Trev is several decades behind the times. At one time, most people in Welsh-speaking areas submitted to the bad-form-to-speak-Hindustani-in-the-mess-old-boy mentality of the kind of arrogant boor who expects the entire social structure of a workplace or neighbourhood to be demolished and then rebuilt around him or her. This uncivilized behaviour is no longer acceptable, and the attempt to disguise it in allegations of health and safety (invariably turning out to be spurious) only invites ridicule ac well as contempt.
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

factotum

Post by factotum » Tue May 03, 2011 12:05 pm

If you search the internet you'll find other complaints against that hotel. It would seem that the management are not top of the class for social skills, and that H&S is their usual excuse.

But regarding signs. The point of having different languages is that they reflect different societies and cultures, sustain cultural diversity and provide different outlooks on the world. However when a form of words is specified by statute, and defined as being equivalent in both languages, then no additional information or even 'flavour' is conveyed, all you have is tokenism, especially when the English is present also. A "no entry" sign has the words "except for access" appended. In Wales there is the Welsh equivalent. I can read and understand the Welsh so I don't need the English. But since the English must be there (since presumably it's taken for granted that English monoglots won't ever learn another language) the Welsh serves no useful purpose. It tell me nothing extra, no added value, cultural or otherwise. Well it tells me I'm in Wales, but it's a very clumsy way to do that. Better to have a different style of signage throughout, or just use the Welsh alone. Is it really too much to expect the English to know or guess the meaning of the dozen or so phrases involved? The manage OK in other European countries.

Sorry, Tim, but the same goes for trains etc. You'll have to show me what extra cultural or literary depth is added by the Welsh translations of "pleasse keep exit clear" or "in case of emergency break glass" or whatever.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue May 03, 2011 12:07 pm

One major step forward was to get Cornwall Council (and its predecessor) to accept a Cornish Language Policy. 10 or 15 years earlier, the chances of them doing so were nil. This wasn't achieved by people sitting on their backsides and moaning, but by people getting off aforementioned backsides and doing some positive persuading. For Heaven's sake, Keith, look at the positives and stop turning them into negatives. It helps no one, least of all the language itself.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue May 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Keith - thanks for BRILLIANT parody of old-style bigot who's just discovered he's got to resort to weaselly phrasing in order to get a hearing. Bang on target, as usual. Busy at moment - will respond suitably later this evening.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue May 03, 2011 9:24 pm

They'd like to have Welsh banned entirely, but that's now a net vote-loser and, increasingly, a social taboo. They're consequently forced to say that they've nothing against the Welsh language, but that for reasons of health/safety/security/phase of the moon/opening sluicegates on Mars, they suggest not using it on this particular occasion.

Welsh is now visible over nearly the whole country, and, increasingly, heard as well. in many areas, it's what you normally hear anyway. If this is a problem for anybody, they'll either have to buy earplugs, just get over it - or learn a bit of Welsh!
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates