Translating the proverbial, into Cornish that is!

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri May 12, 2006 7:25 pm

A request!

I love sayings, proverbs, expressions and quotes but my Cornish language skills are poor!

Language takes on a real life when used in this way and people love it.

How about I (and others) provide examples and then the gifted Cornuphones translate them for us.

Wouldn’t it be great to have a book of sayings, quotes, proverbs and expressions in English and Cornish?
Of course it should contain Cornish proverbs and sayings, but as well those from around the world and throughout history.

So I will start and await a translation of:

“There is more than one way to skin a cat”

Abieuan

Post by Abieuan » Sat May 20, 2006 11:35 pm

I think all Celts love proverbs, fulub, our wisdom has always been stored by word of mouth.
When i was young, i relied a lot on proverbs to help me make descisions, there is a wealth of knowledge of our ancestors to be drawn from.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun May 21, 2006 5:15 pm

So some Cornish proverbs!

TGG

Post by TGG » Mon May 22, 2006 2:18 am

Y'n Haf por' cof Gwaf

In Summer remember/bear in mind Winter. In the good times make provision for the bad times.

TGG
STOP THE CORNISH GENOCIDE! -
They declare their Cornishness with pride
Whilst oblivious to our genocide
That England imposes
With smiles and Red Roses
Where the innocents, so gullibly, reside.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Mon May 22, 2006 12:24 pm

Martesen:

Ebrenn rudh y'n myttin, gwarnyans bughel.

Lestri gwag a wra an moyha tros. (rag agan koweth, ganow tesek).

Na drest nevra an sowson.

Na trest nevra ki gans abrans melyn.

Moy ages dornas yw atal.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Tue May 23, 2006 1:31 pm

There's lots of ways to skin a cat : Yma lieskweyth dhe groghena kath.

TGG

Post by TGG » Tue May 23, 2006 3:52 pm

Shaz
Posted: May 22, 2006 - 11:32 PM

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Duality TGG....My philosophy is go with the flow...remaining in the moment though takes a bit of practice...

TGG what is "GO with the Flow "in Kernewek... Marpleg

Going with the flow is fine as long as it takes you in the right direction and essential if to go against the current is dangerous.

If you can bear with me, I shall be checking some examples of Cornish idioms over the next weekend and will see if there is 'an equivalent'.

There is no problem [apart from person & tense] with giving a literal translation of 'Go with the flow' but it is essentially an English idiomatic expression and I feel reluctant to do a literal translation into Cornish since, imho, it should reflect a Cornish sentiment - if such an expression exists!

Some other posters may already be aware if this is the case and respond accordingly. :)

TGG
That England imposes

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Wed May 24, 2006 9:34 pm

Go with the flow could be translated as:

Ke gans an fros.

Ke = Go (imperative singular)
gans = with
an = the
Fros = stream, tumult

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Wed May 24, 2006 9:50 pm

To translate things like 'go with the flow' you have to translate the meaning not just the words.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Wed May 24, 2006 10:04 pm

I'm well aware of that mate! The meaning of "go with the flow" is distinct from the actual words in English too.

In the newly published Bywnans Ke, there is the saying

Mos yw an dhiagha

meaning "To go is peace of mind". Maybe that's close enough to "go with the flow"?

TGG

Post by TGG » Wed May 24, 2006 11:17 pm

Now see what you have done Shaz! But a good meaningful exploration nevertheless.

Whilst 'Go with the flow' just happens to be one of my favourites - who would be brave enough to disect it and expose its possibilities?

I use it when I cannot be bothered to think for myself and just become one of the 'sheep' rather than the shepherd.

Do we really 'go' with the flow or are we 'carried' by it?

The 'flow' could be a metaphor for manipulation in bearing us along a politically manipulated [or someone else's] path, opinion, commercial activity....

There is so much to fight for against seemingly insurmountable odds that there is always the temptation to succumb and just GWTF or Mos yu an dyagha [for peace of mind?] - a bit like a living death!

TGG
That England imposes

Angofbew

Post by Angofbew » Thu May 25, 2006 6:46 am

Flamm i was not having a go, i was just simply making a point i thought was important. Apologies if it came across the wrong way.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Thu May 25, 2006 9:25 am

No worries, I didn't think you were having a go! I just meant that in English too, you sometimes have to understand the idiomatic meaning of something, so "Ke gans an fros" could be a suitable translation of "Go with the flow", because neither of them mean literally what we understand by the expression "Go with the flow".

And if global warming continues we might start saying "Go with the floe". (Sorry!)