cornwall and scottish culture

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Cledry_maid

Post by Cledry_maid » Wed May 31, 2006 8:12 pm

The bretons play pipes as well - it's not uniquely scottish.

Coady

Post by Coady » Wed May 31, 2006 11:16 pm

.......Then perhaps its a shame that 'Cornish Determination' is clouded by the images of people in supposedly druidic outfits at Gorsedds, the playing of pipes, wearing of Tartans, speaking of ancient tongues etc.etc.

I am Cornish and quietly proud of that fact, yet I feel slightly embarrased by all the stuff that seems to have to go with Cornish culture.

The current UK labour Government only came to power after they persuaded the Tony Benns and Michael Foots etc to keep a low profile. The people accepted them then.

Image is important

The current image is that an Independent Cornwall would be 'ruled' by a cross betwen Cornwall County Council
and some bards in blue frocks, imposing compulsory Cornish language lessons in schools, and imposing 'visitor taxes' on tourists, nationalising English owned properties...........
We live in interesting times!

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Thu Jun 01, 2006 8:42 am

I have to agree with Coady.It´s worth pointing out that the organization which saved the Scottish kilt was the British Army.It was always regarded as a peasants form of dress and no upper class Scott would have been seen dead wearing one,unlike today of course when even Janner in St Just wants one,dear,dear.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Thu Jun 01, 2006 9:06 am

"coady" said:
people in supposedly druidic outfits at Gorsedds

The bardic robe was actually designed to be a bit like a toga. When you listen to the excessive amount of Christianity in the ceremony of what's supposed to be a non-religious organisation, I don't see how you can claim the Gorsedd is at all "druidic". (A friend who saw me in my robes said that they were a bit "Talibany"!)

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Thu Jun 01, 2006 7:20 pm

What do you expect from people who have nothing better to do than invent a language,of course they will steal your kilt and bagpipes.What´s next Cornish whiskey,or will it be whisky? I´m lucky,I don´t come into contact with these people,most Cornish are just regular guys.I am Celtic,100%,except perhaps for the odd bit of raping and pillaging in years gone by which would have diluted the bloodline,ah the good old days.We Celts were pretty good at that ourselves,I hate it when these idiots try to maintain we were sort sort of whimpering soft shy types.

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Thu Jun 01, 2006 10:31 pm

What invented language would that be, arthur? Do tell, I'm all ears.

Coady

Post by Coady » Thu Jun 01, 2006 11:34 pm

Oh Flamm..you know,.....that kernewek stuff......Nowhere near as much fun as Klingon!
We live in interesting times!