Funding for Cornish language confirmed

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:55 am

Why don't we ask them?

secretariat@british-irishcouncil.org

Dear Sir / Madam

I was just wondering if you could explain to me why Cornish is not included in the work done by your worthy organisation especially when you consider that Manx is.

Lowena dhys

FLB

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Sat Jun 18, 2005 11:27 am

So people aren't concerned that the funding recieved won't be able to pay more than 4 teachers, and the fact that the kids won't really be interested? Instead, letters are being written.

Good work.

Abednego

Post by Abednego » Sat Jun 18, 2005 1:56 pm

It's not really 80 000 GBP.

ODPM said:

Government funding to support the Cornish language was confirmed today, to the tune of up to £80,000 a year for three years. This provides the match funding needed to support an application by Cornwall County Council for EU Objective 1 funding

That makes 240 000 GBP directly from the Labour government and if match funding means equal funding the best part of half a million GBP over three years is available to start.

What exactly are who going to do with the money?[/quote]

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:18 pm

But it still isn't a lot of money, though, is it? Even if it's half a million over 3 years, half of that will go on 3 teachers.

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:23 pm

That makes 240 000 GBP directly from the Labour government and if match funding means equal funding the best part of half a million GBP over three years is available to start.

What exactly are who going to do with the money?

As I understand it, the funding will be administered by Cornwall County Council, following an agreed development program that is indicated in the published Cornish Language Strategy.

This will enable the UK to begin to fulfill its legal commitments under European Charter for minority languages.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun Jun 19, 2005 4:19 pm

So people aren't concerned that the funding recieved won't be able to pay more than 4 teachers, and the fact that the kids won't really be interested? Instead, letters are being written.

Good work.

No its not a lot of money compared to other languages but lets be realistic the Cornish language is just a tiny acorn at the momment, there are more people that speak Urdu or Mandarin in the Duchy than Kernewek.

It's a huge improvement on the past, it is more money that will be spent in Kernow.

As to your criticism of my letter and question, i don't see your point really. Would you rather that i didn't bother writting to organisations in order to ask questions that i think deserve an answer, surely its the least i should do for things i care about?

Masterclass

Post by Masterclass » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:16 am

No its not a lot of money compared to other languages but lets be realistic the Cornish language is just a tiny acorn at the momment, there are more people that speak Urdu or Mandarin in the Duchy than Kernewek.

It's a huge improvement on the past, it is more money that will be spent in Kernow.

As to your criticism of my letter and question, i don't see your point really. Would you rather that i didn't bother writting to organisations in order to ask questions that i think deserve an answer, surely its the least i should do for things i care about?

I'm as frustrated as you are about the lack of funding for languages, and the fact that Kernewek is being funded is, in my eyes, a good thing. Urdu and Mandarin are often taught at home through parents and friends (in my experience) and I think that this is the way that the teaching of Kernewek should go.

I have no experience in the field of project managing the spread of languages, so please accept my apologies as regards your letter.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:20 pm

I have no experience in the field of project managing the spread of languages

Me neither but i am curious as to why the Cornish language is excluded from the work of the Britsih Irish council and asking them by e-mail seems like a good place to start.

secretariat@british-irishcouncil.org

Abieuan

Post by Abieuan » Sat Jul 23, 2005 9:00 pm

This argument has been going on too long now, its speaking a language that counts. all the bickering must put off potential learners (and parents of potential learners).
The spelling dosent really matter - when Kernewek was more widely spoken i imagine most could not read or write at all!
Perhaps the Welsh should be asked to adjudicate?