Cornish links with the Welsh and Bretons

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Brittonic

Post by Brittonic » Mon Jul 04, 2005 6:41 pm

Degemer mat Gael!

I hope you will enjoy Cornwall. Don't miss St Yves!

I just love Brittany and the Bretons. They should be our model! Real fighters. Had lots of talks (and few pints) with your fellow nationalists last year. Got to meet them after I noticed all the beautifull stickers on the walls of many small localities and near the roads. "Breton maitre chez toi" as they say! Wish the best to you and your party ! "Adsav mat eo" (correct me if I speak broken breton...).

Brittonic

Post by Brittonic » Tue Jul 05, 2005 10:12 am

More information on St Ives (this time wrtitten the Cornish way :wink: )

http://www.stives-cornwall.co.uk/

Bring your stickers with you!

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri Feb 03, 2006 1:50 pm

The History of Brittany and the Bretons by Joel Cornette.

Excellent two tome book I’m reading at the moment and I would like to share some stuff for those interested.

1) In 1490 there was a peasant rebellion in Cornouailles in Briezh; I wonder if news of it and other uprisings reached Angoff and Flammank?

2) In 1583 Bertrand d'Argentré in his history of Brittany wrote:

"Brittany is not a simple fief of the crown of France, but a Duchy that has a unique origin distinct and older than the crown of France" and "This ancient royal principality is the last part of ancient Gaul".

Swap crown of England for France, Cornwall for Brittany, Britain for Gaul and it makes a familiar story.

3) The Britons that settled in the Armorican peninsula (to become Brittany) had a form of governance, chieftains called a "machtiern", in Cornish its maghtern and means sovereign. These machtiern controlled a collection of Parishes and apparently this type of governance came from Britain. So Cornwall at and after this time was probably broken up into a patchwork of little territories governed by machtiern. Could it have been these machtiern that Wessex left in place in Cornwall to govern but removed in Devonshire? Instead of invading and totally removing all forms of local governance leaving a hostile, headless and ungovernable alien people why not leave the tribal chiefs in place and force them to pay tribute.

CJenkin

Post by CJenkin » Fri Feb 03, 2006 4:01 pm

Interesting stuff Fulub.
With the large amounts of Bretons that were resident in Cornwall at the time it is inconceivable that they were not aware of Breton affairs. One of the reasons that the Cornish (along with the welsh) initially supported Henry Tudor was that it spent his exile along with the Dukes of Brittany.

However, he failed to support the duchy in the face of french aggression and that may well have been a contributary factor (along with the Stannary issues) that led to Cornish disillusionment with the tudors.

The term myghtern was being used right through the middle ages for king and is found in the Cornish plays which come from the 16th Century - even king arthur is a myghtern so it was probably used for both subkings and main rulers aswell. But certainly it seems likely that myghtern organisation could've carried on to the conquest. (maybe beyond?)

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri Feb 03, 2006 8:34 pm

Thanks, thought you would like it Mr Jenkin, and the French to English translation ain't half bad if i say so myself.

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:31 pm

The Breton militant party Emgann: http://www.emgann.org/

FlammNew

Post by FlammNew » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:03 am

There was an old-style Breton flag at the St Piran's march in Truro - black cross on a white background! Confused the hell out of me until I asked what it was!

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Wed Jun 07, 2006 5:37 pm

Trugarez