Spellyans Watch -- Goelva Spellyans

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Pennysquire

Post by Pennysquire » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:28 pm

Evertype said:
Anyone who wishes to identify himself or herself by name and who wishes to discuss matters in a civil fashion is welcome on Spellyans.

Except Mr Reeves, who has exhibited bahaviour which marks him as pre-banned.

Do you mean that he is pre-banned in advance?

- Penny

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:50 pm

Is the tautology your trademark, or merely a limp attempt at wit? He can hardly be post-banned in advance, nor pre-banned in retrospect.

Taran

Post by Taran » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:16 pm

There is no risk of course, simply that you might learn something, or might be able to teach others something. And where is the harm in that.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:27 pm

pennysquire said:
[quote=Evertype]Anyone who wishes to identify himself or herself by name and who wishes to discuss matters in a civil fashion is welcome on Spellyans.

- Penny[/quote]Why yes, he is. He was banned from membership in the kernowak @ kernowak.com list for calling us Nazis, and he is banned from membership from Spellyans because it is clear that he is unable to conduct himself in a civil fashion.

Nice of you to care, though.

You, "Penny", were banned from Spellyans for lying about who you were.

edited by: Evertype, Feb 17, 2009 - 12:27 PM

Morvran

Post by Morvran » Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:40 pm

The purpose of this thread was to show the inconsistencies (is hypocracy too strong a word?) of the Spellyans gang.

They claim to believe in politeness yet there is clearly license to insult and degrade anyone who disagrees.

They claim to encourage open discussion and open minds, yet anyone who disagrees with Mick 'n' Nick pretty soon gets short shrift.

They support the inauthentic pronunciation(s) of many present day speakers, while instantly attacking any deviation from their rather pedantic understanding of grammar. As to vocabulary, can anyone understand their position

They say they believe in 'authentic' Cornish, which seems to mean only using forms actually attested, yet they delight in wrapping those forms in as many unsightly diacritics as they can devise. Note 'attested' means 'as written in the scholarly editions of the texts' not 'as actually written in the mss'.

They claim to be dealing with faults and inconsistencies of the present SWF, yet they do not seem to be following any obvious agenda or checklist. Most of the time they seem to be arguing over the next edition of KS.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:10 pm

morvran said:
The purpose of this thread was to show the inconsistencies (is hypocracy too strong a word?) of the Spellyans gang.

It's "hypocrisy".

They claim to believe in politeness yet there is clearly license to insult and degrade anyone who disagrees.

No, just the Little Weasel. :-)

They claim to encourage open discussion and open minds, yet anyone who disagrees with Mick 'n' Nick pretty soon gets short shrift.

Not so.

They support the inauthentic pronunciation(s) of many present day speakers, while instantly attacking any deviation from their rather pedantic understanding of grammar.

Not so.

As to vocabulary, can anyone understand their position

Evidently quite a number of people. Of course, you just want to sit there and throw spit-wads at us.

They say they believe in 'authentic' Cornish, which seems to mean only using forms actually attested, yet they delight in wrapping those forms in as many unsightly diacritics as they can devise.

Neat! You insert a rhetorical "unsightly"! Your analysis is inaccurate however.

Note 'attested' means 'as written in the scholarly editions of the texts' not 'as actually written in the mss'.

Clearly you don't understand what "authentic" means, or what "orthographic normalization" is.

They claim to be dealing with faults and inconsistencies of the present SWF, yet they do not seem to be following any obvious agenda or checklist. Most of the time they seem to be arguing over the next edition of KS.

You wouldn't really know, would you, since you've chosen not to participate in the discussion.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:12 pm

gokyreloaded said:
I cannot remember calling anyone a Nazi,I may have alluded to the moderator(s) having totalitarian tendencies,probably tongue-in-cheek, but then our retentive friend Everson, is not known for his sense of humour.

You illustrated attacks on Dan and the Pyber with Nazi flags when you were banned from the Cornish Orthography list for incivility.

Pennysquire

Post by Pennysquire » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:51 pm

Eddie-C said:
Is the tautology your trademark, or merely a limp attempt at wit? He can hardly be post-banned in advance, nor pre-banned in retrospect.

An allusion to Kilometres of the Little Horses :-)

Do you not, in addition to sampling and appreciating the wine of a country, also sample and appreciate its literature?

- Penny

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:23 pm

You did.

Pennysquire

Post by Pennysquire » Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:27 pm

Evertype said:
[quote=pennysquire][quote=Evertype]Anyone who wishes to identify himself or herself by name and who wishes to discuss matters in a civil fashion is welcome on Spellyans.

- Penny[/quote]Why yes, he is. He was banned from membership in the kernowak @ kernowak.com list for calling us Nazis, and he is banned from membership from Spellyans because it is clear that he is unable to conduct himself in a civil fashion.

Nice of you to care, though.

You, "Penny", were banned from Spellyans for lying about who you were.[/quote]

Please, Alphonse, can we stick to the facts?

I resigned from Spellyans, having satisfied myself that it was a dead end. You excluded me retrospectiveley because you believed that I was not who I said I was (I think that you may have been feeling a little emotional and insecure at the time).

I don't take offence because you go around pretending to be "Michael Everson", do I?

- Penny

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:05 pm

You aren't who you said you were.