Lyver Pejadow rag Kenyver Jorna - Cornish Daily Prayer

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:29 pm

Oh, quit your whining, Keith. :roll:

The first edition of Andy's book was published in UCR by Spyrys a Gernow. Andy approached me and asked if I would publish a second edition, and I said yes. And he knows the difference between KS and SWF/T, too.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:41 pm

morvran said:

What is the point of publishing in new and unstable forms with no proven take-up? Only as a propaganda exercise to promote those forms and their backers.

Quite right, Keith. This new-fangled Kebmyn konkoktion should be aborted before birth, if not sooner. It has nothing to offer the Revival except the self interest and ambitions of its misguided backers, and will trigger a lengthy schism within the movement.

Morvran

Post by Morvran » Fri Apr 10, 2009 6:06 pm

However those 'misguided backers' happen to constitute the bulk of active Cornish users. But if you really don't like KK then use UC which is also established and well defined. UCR never had any measurable uptake, it was a flop. So I expect will be KS, if you guys ever manage to agree on what exactly is KS. And the SWF is just a fig-leaf for the Council, but I don't see them commissioning the necessary follow-up work to make it an actual working form, as opposed to an outline specification. Dan is working on a dictionary, but not everyone agrees with his decisions, so it can hardly be 'official'. He says he's following the guidlines, but many of these appear to be unwritten and disputed. So at best the SWF is unstable.

truru

Post by truru » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:30 pm

morvran said:
However those 'misguided backers' happen to constitute the bulk of active Cornish users.

The bulk of active Cornish users in early 2008. Without hard data, whether or not the situation has changed since then and since the SWF came about is pure speculation.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:35 pm

I doubt he'll ever stop beating that drum, Truru.

Morvran

Post by Morvran » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:07 am

Well, I have it on very good authority that a good time was had by all at the recent Language Weekend, and that the SWF wasn't even mentioned, except by Jenifer, and well, it's her paid job, so I suppose she was expected to.

Why has Truru taken it upon himself to oppose the backbone of the Revival?

Morvran

Post by Morvran » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:21 am

Just thinking back to the introduction of KK, it wasn't sufficient for an outline report to be published and a decision taken to adopt it. What happened then was that people clamoured for materials, and those who were able, rallied around to produce them. The John Page grammar booklets were quickly converted, giving a lot of common words, irregular verbs etc. in the new spelling. A dictionary obviously took a while, but an extensive provisional wordlist soon came out, which allowed people to start writing in the system, which they did. The change was soon very visible.

I don't see any of this for the SWF really. Who is authorised to rule on questions of doubt/concern? The AHG was disbanded, Trond long ago went back to his arctic retreat, the Report leaves many questions unanswered. The impression I get is that as far as the Council are concerned the whole matter was put away for five years.

And if you don't think that KS still at the experimental stage, just read through the "Spelly" postings.

So I continue to maintain, that out in the real world there are only two stable, established and well used forms of Cornish, KK and UC, with the latter really just a "legacy" version.

All else is just three or four folks ego-tripping.

(Late Cornish? When was there last a publication in Late Cornish?)

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:23 am

morvran said:
Why has Truru taken it upon himself to oppose the backbone of the Revival?

I don't imagine Truru thinks of you as quite that part of the Revival's anatomy. Not back *bone*.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:23 am

The backbone of the Revival is Unified Cornish, warts and all. Jenner was a better linguist than Nance (not Nance's fault), and deserves study.

If it hadn't been for them, you'd have no Revival at all.

Her name is Jenefer. Try to learn to spell, Keith, FFS.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:28 am

morvran said:
And if you don't think that KS still at the experimental stage, just read through the "Spelly" postings.

Unbelievable. You've spent NO time studying KS in any way. Not the pre-AHG drafts nor any of the books which have been published recently. If you had, you would surely observe that the orthography is stable enough to print several hundred pages. There is no chaos amongst those pages, either.

The "instability" you worry about on Spellyans is restricted to the occasional edge-case. If you had an ounce of honesty in you, you would admit this.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Sat Apr 11, 2009 12:49 am

The only time one might expect to see the words 'Honest' and 'Keith' put together would be if he ran a used car business.
[size=large]HONEST KEITH'S KARZ
The nyw-2-yw karz
yw kann trust![/size]

edited by: Eddie-C, Apr 11, 2009 - 12:50 AM

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:08 am

With his proven track record for Lies, Damned Lies, and Keethized Statistikkz, we might consider some of the selling points of Honest Keeth's merchandise:

"1 careful owner" said:
Badly handled by a succession of teenage boy racers.

"Only 32,000 miles on the clock" said:
Second time round

"55 miles to the gallon" said:
Downhill, in neutral, with the ignition turned off.

"70% of Fluent, Effective drivers drive a Keeth Kar!" said:
And he's got some Honest Market Research to "prove" it, too!