Lyver Pejadow rag Kenyver Jorna - Cornish Daily Prayer

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
truru

Post by truru » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:30 am

morvran said:
Why has Truru taken it upon himself to oppose the backbone of the Revival?

I don't consider you or your extremist ranting the "backbone of the revival".

My point is that without hard data, nobody knows how the SWF has changed things since the MAGA report came out, and your anonymous single-source hearsay won't be taken as evidence. There is a reasonable chance that the figure of 55% for Kommonn Kornish support has dropped below 50% since the SWF. That would only have to be 10% of KK users. Would you still consider it the backbone when it has less than 50% support? Of course this is all speculation, but at least I'm able to recognise that.

edited by: truru, Apr 11, 2009 - 12:03 PM

truru

Post by truru » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:45 am

morvran said:
Just thinking back to the introduction of KK, it wasn't sufficient for an outline report to be published and a decision taken to adopt it. What happened then was that people clamoured for materials, and those who were able, rallied around to produce them. The John Page grammar booklets were quickly converted, giving a lot of common words, irregular verbs etc. in the new spelling. A dictionary obviously took a while, but an extensive provisional wordlist soon came out, which allowed people to start writing in the system, which they did. The change was soon very visible.

It's only been 10 months. Add to the fact that in 1987 there was an old form, and a new form, so people in the revival had a clear choice to make. In 2009 there's an old form, an updated old form, a new form, a new form based on an old form and a new form that's a mixture of the other forms. Clearly the number of people working on materials for different forms is going to be less when they're split between 5+ forms instead of just 2. Plus I'd imagine a significant amount of people simply can't be bothered or have lost the will to make anything after the infighting of the past many years, something that probably wasn't a problem in 1987.

edited by: truru, Apr 11, 2009 - 11:49 AM

truru

Post by truru » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:53 am

morvran said:
Well, I have it on very good authority that a good time was had by all at the recent Language Weekend, and that the SWF wasn't even mentioned, except by Jenifer, and well, it's her paid job, so I suppose she was expected to.

You make it sound like she says what she doesn't believe because she's being paid to do so. That's quite an accusation. Have you asked her? Maybe the reason she mentioned it is because she supports it, hence why she chose to work at the CLP?

truru

Post by truru » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:23 pm

gokyreloaded said:

Plus I'd imagine a significant amount of people simply can't be bothered or have lost the will to make anything after the infighting of the past many years, something that probably wasn't a problem in 1987.

that is the excuse made by those who would never had learned it anyways, usually because they are too dumb.

I was talking about people who have already learnt it making material, not people learning it. How much material have you written Gokky?

edited by: truru, Apr 11, 2009 - 03:37 PM

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:14 pm

gokyreloaded said:

Plus I'd imagine a significant amount of people simply can't be bothered or have lost the will to make anything after the infighting of the past many years, something that probably wasn't a problem in 1987.

that is the excuse made by those who would never had learned it anyways, usually because they are too dumb.

Including (by his own admission) since 1993 Keith 'morvran' Bailey. However, he claims that this is not because he is (to use your charming word) 'dumb', but because of the 'present negative climate' which he and his fellow KK konspirators had brought to an unsuspecting Revival.

Moreover, you haven't made any contribution to the Revival yourself. Is your excuse your own self-admitted idiocy, dha wockyneth dha honen?

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:49 pm

gokyreloaded said:
a whole Bible and dictionary was published in UCR, and that I presume at the time was said to be stable, and look what happened to UCR.!!!

It was the New Testament, not the whole Bible. And what happened to UCR is that it was given up for something better.

Give me a few thousand dollars I will publish anything you like in some new fangled Kernewack,

I don't believe you're capable

does not mean that it is accepted and official, let alone stable.!

You're not very good mixing levels of abstraction, are you?

truru

Post by truru » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:08 pm

gokyreloaded said:
I could throw that back at you Truru, what have you written?

Nothing, because as you so often point out, I don't speak Cornish. Yet. That selective memory can be a pain sometimes. can't it?

What's your excuse? Money? Pff. Do you see that thing in front of you? It's called a computer. You can use it to write stuff. When it's finished there's this wonderful thing called email that you can use to magically make your work appear in front of publishers, if you want to make money out of it, or you can put your work on this other wonderful thing called the World Wide Web, if you want to do it out of generosity. All free of charge.

edited by: truru, Apr 11, 2009 - 06:09 PM

truru

Post by truru » Sat Apr 11, 2009 6:39 pm

gokyreloaded said:

I don't speak Cornish

I have a secret for you it is not that hard

It can't be if you speak it.

I think you missed the point of my post Gokky, I should have known better that you prefer things to be dumbed down. Perhaps you can understand this better: You don't need money to write Cornish material.

Now if you said you didn't have the time, that would be understandable, but money isn't an excuse. Of course in your case I doubt time could count as a valid excuse either, given the amount of it you waste on posting here and on your blog, which I do actually read every month or so, for shits and giggles, which would probably mean that I'm the one who looks at it the most and actually gives me the undesirable status of being your biggest fan. Oh the irony!

edited by: truru, Apr 11, 2009 - 06:52 PM

CowethasPeranSans

Post by CowethasPeranSans » Sat Apr 11, 2009 10:08 pm

I think at this juncture it would be worth sincerely thanking Mr Everson for typesetting Cornish Daily Prayer and Professor Williams for work in translation at no cost to Cowethas Peran Sans. We contacted all three of the main language orthography agencies, but the only response was from AT/KS.

We are now in the process of producing a CD to go with it to aid pronunciation, the studio recording and editing being done again free of charge.

We also hope to see 17 school assembly/family service plans online soon with Cornish prayers and hyperlinks to aid pronunciation, again at no cost whatsoever to ourselves.

There is a great deal of goodwill out there for which we are grateful. Money is not always necessary to make things happen, only a positive attitude and positive relationships as against the negative and destructive ones that have caused havoc in the language movement and held it back.

The language movement is so small and we can do so much more working together than apart.

Gans pub bennath