"Kensa Lyver Redya" dyllys in Kernowek

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Sun May 03, 2009 8:50 am

The KKites survived; they moved nearer to traditional Cornish, and becames FSSers, like for instance the Loveday.
:)
And I make no comment about where she may keep her brain.

I may be stupid, but ...

R3D3

Post by R3D3 » Sun May 03, 2009 9:05 am

This book cannot be used for state-funded early years education because it is written in KS. Please post a list of the minor differences that exist between KS and SWF so that we can convert the text to SWF for use in state-funded early years teaching. Thank you.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun May 03, 2009 11:10 am

Dear R3D3,

I would like to you back up your assertion that the book cannot be used in schools. The Language Ladder texts and the exams are meant to be in the SWF, it is true. But I am informed that children are not to be shielded from Traditional Cornish orthography (we can hardly keep them from reading the Creation of the World, can we?) or indeed from books written in any of the orthographies of Revived Cornish since 1904.

May I ask who you are, R3D3? As of today you made only 2 posts to this forum. You have said that "we" want to "convert" the text. Please be aware that doing so without permission would be a violation of copyright. Whom do you represent?

edited by: Evertype, May 03, 2009 - 11:12 AM

Nosdan

Post by Nosdan » Sun May 03, 2009 11:35 am

I agree with R3D3,

Whilst we cant shield kids from different orthographies it is of great importance to stay true to the process (whether we like it or not) and only include sanctioned material in schools...

I've nothing against anyone's form, but to permit different orthographies at school (other than SWF{t}) would be to throw the SWF away and waste all the money. Anyone who says otherwise is purely in it for their own gain and cares for nothing about the language.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun May 03, 2009 12:14 pm

gokyreloaded said:

Please be aware that doing so without permission would be a violation of copyright.

yea all about money eh Everson?

No, it is about copyright. Copyright laws exist for a reason. The Kensa Lyver Redya is protected by those laws. R3D3 cannot "convert" that book without permission.

that is the whole reason for the KS rather than the SWF, so you have control and the money, talk about a coup or attempted coup!

This is nonsense. I am quite free to publish in the SWF/M if I wish. If I were really concerned about money, wouldn't I be publishing everything in SWF/M, funded by grant after grant from the CLP?

I prefer to publish good literature in an orthography for Cornish which does not contain errors and inconsistency.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun May 03, 2009 12:16 pm

gokyreloaded said:
KS is not officially sanctioned, it is a made up system.

All orthographies are human artefacts, Little Weasel.

truru

Post by truru » Sun May 03, 2009 12:18 pm

Evertype said:
Copyright laws exist for a reason. The Kensa Lyver Redya is protected by those laws. R3D3 cannot "convert" that book without permission.

And the million dollar question is... would you be willing to give that permission?

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun May 03, 2009 12:23 pm

Nosdan said:
Whilst we cant shield kids from different orthographies it is of great importance to stay true to the process (whether we like it or not) and only include sanctioned material in schools...

The process specifically says that only SWF/M is to be used for first-stage learning, and that thereafter literature of any kind can be used. Jenefer Lowe told us this explicitly at an Agan Tavas AGM. She said that it is only the Language Ladder which needs to work in one form only (the SWF/M).

I've nothing against anyone's form, but to permit different orthographies at school (other than SWF{t})[quote]"Permit"? Does this imply "ban", Nosdan?

Nosdan, you may be content with an orthography that has known errors and inconsistencies in it, and to have those errors and inconsistencies taught to children. For my part, I am not. Accordingly, I publish in an orthography which amends those errors and inconsistencies. The CLP is bound to the SWF unchanged until 2013. No one else is.

[quote]would be to throw the SWF away and waste all the money.

I believe that it is better for people to have access to accurate Cornish than it is to worry about how money was used in the AHG process. That process was successful. The CLP has an orthography they can publish in.

Being in the private sector, I have not benefitted by access to any public funds. What money I "waste" in publishing in Cornish is not tax-payers' money. (You don't think there is a lot of profit in publishing in Cornish, do you?)

Anyone who says otherwise is purely in it for their own gain and cares for nothing about the language.

I reject your suggestion that I care nothing about the language, and I believe that it is wrong for you to make the argument into "if you are not with us you are against us".

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun May 03, 2009 12:29 pm

truru said:
[quote=Evertype]Copyright laws exist for a reason. The Kensa Lyver Redya is protected by those laws. R3D3 cannot "convert" that book without permission.

And the million dollar question is... would you be willing to give that permission?[/quote]To a droid?

truru

Post by truru » Sun May 03, 2009 1:08 pm

Don't sidestep the question

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun May 03, 2009 1:44 pm

truru said:
Don't sidestep the question

To whom, then?