“Skeul an Tavas” -- Corslyver rag Skeul an Yethow dyllys gans Agan Tavas ha gans Evertype

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
truru

Post by truru » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:39 pm

Is the only difference between the three versions the orthography used? There aren't any differences in grammar/explanations etc between the schools/adults versions?
Which pronunciation is used?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:45 pm

There's a very good pronunciation guide in each.  Pretty well the same throughout, apart from the option of pre-occlusion.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:50 pm

Karesk said:
Thank you, I'll have a look at the wikipedia article. I haven't ordered a copy of Skeul an Tavas yet – still trying to decide which colour would look best on my bookshelf.

You will find the blue one to be the most useful. It is the only one of the three that contains IPA transcriptions and from that point of view is the most accurate in terms of showing the link between spelling and pronunciation.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:00 am

truru said:
Is the only difference between the three versions the orthography used? There aren't any differences in grammar/explanations etc between the schools/adults versions?
Which pronunciation is used?

By and large the only difference in terms of course content is the orthography. There is a bit of additional material in the section on plurals in the KS version.
The three pronunciation sections differ somewhat, because the orthographies reflect pronunciation in different ways. Both the SWF/M and the SWF/T fail to enable the reader to distinguish some sounds by the spelling.
The pronunciation guide for SWF/T was written first; the SWF/M was based upon that. The KS version began with the SWF/T text but is greatly expanded and gives phonetic respellings.
These books use RMC pronunciation because that is what the author uses, but there is a mention of pre-occlusion in all of them, and more detail given in the KS version about the dialect differences than in the other two.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:20 pm

Karesk said:
... I haven't ordered a copy of Skeul an Tavas yet – still trying to decide which colour would look best on my bookshelf.

Have you considered a set of 3, seeing all the colours go so well together?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Sep 04, 2009 7:08 pm

MAGA didn't - they only depicted the cover of the SWF/K coursebook.  As they decided to discriminate, let me tell people on this forum that there is a SWF/T coursebook (same cover, but with green background); and a KS coursebook (same cover - blue background).  The course has the same structure in all three.  All three have the same retail price £8.95.  MAGA doesn't seem to want you to have a choice which rather makes a mockery of the SWF agreement.  On the other hand, we have catered for choice (you haven't often heard that in the history of the Revival, especially the last 25 years of it).

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:20 am

Site, kio.  Site.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:59 am

Yn goles po yn gwartha?
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

truru

Post by truru » Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:34 pm

deleted

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:58 am

I seem to spend half my life kicking against the pricks - and there seems to be a fair few of 'em out there.  If it isn't "English" Heritage, it's the National Distrust and Natural "England", and so on.
Another one who won't go away is our old friend (fiend?) Steven Allen Reeves, who now has a "Marhak Moron' section on his puerile blog - and, yes, the nasty little monkey is still featuring the dead horse.  What I find most telling is who he favours, and who he doesn't.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:59 am

That's interesting - I didn't write 'monkey', but that's what came up.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:34 pm

marhak said:
What I find most telling is who he favours, and who he doesn't.

Whereas what I find most telling is marhak's blatant use of 'guilt by association' - a cheap and underhand means of casting aspersion. 
But totally fallacious nevertheless. 
He clearly missed his vocation as a pull-the-wool-over-your-eyes politician.  He'd have been about as good at it as the rest of them!