"Jowal Lethesow" dyllys in Kernowek

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:46 pm

Karesk said:Martesen ny wrug peub degemeres an "process" FSS, mes lemmyn agan bardh an moyha y askor a skrif yn maner a allav vy konvedhes moy es. Tim, a vynta treylya dha vardhonek koth dhe'th lytherennans nowyth?

An pyth re skrfis, re'n skrifis. Mes ny'm beus hwans a vones ow skrifa an gyth dra arta  hag arta, kepar hag Antonio Vivaldi. (Herwydh ow broder, neb yw ilewydh herwydh myster, ny skrifas Vivaldi 500 konsert, lemen an kyth konsert 500 a weythyow.) Yth esov ow tevnydhya KK nebes ha nebes nans yw tro  hag 20 blydhen, hag yma war ow thowl skrifa mwy herwydh an gyth dra y'n termyn a dheu.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:49 pm

marhak said:The present list of projects come first, Tim, if I ever hope to make any money from this bleary ole world.  There are people far more competent than me who could be doing it, though.  And aren't.  Perhaps you can ask them why they aren't?

Ny allav degemmeres onan a'n askusyow ma. Peub huni ahanan a'n jeveus kans ha mil a draow dhe'ga gul. Yma genes gallos ha skians skrifa Kernewek fest yn ta, ha dever ytho gul yndella: na skon dha dhever down.
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Nov 04, 2009 10:58 pm

marhak said:
While I'm on, Tim, how come a grizzled old bugger like you can sire such a beautiful daughter?  I came across her on YouTube:  Celtic Legend featuring Gwenno.  And a song in Cornish, too.  I presume you wrote the lyrics as the title appears in 'Saundrek': Ysolt y'nn Gweinten.  Filmed at Lanyon Quoit, Roche Rock and Porthcurno beach.
Beautiful girl, beautiful singer, beautiful song.  In fact, an outstanding song.  Ryal dra, sos!

Da yw genev dell bleg dhis an gan. Gwas a Benn Sans, Chris Payne, a skrifas an ilow. Da yw genen prederi a vilvilyow a dus yn-dann glywes kan y'gan yeth! Unn tro ytho yth esa gans Gwenno kan yn Kernewek yn peub gwerthji Top Shop y'n bys. Ny worfennsyn ni ow korra Kernewek yn klyw tus an bys hwath!
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:24 am

My re glewas ober kowal Vivaldi ha my dhe'n pellgowser ow kortos gorthyp.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:21 pm

Y'n eur ma y hwodhyn mar dha dell vydh Craig ow skrifa Kernewek. Hwedhel berr y gamm nessa dell waytyav, ena novell, hag ena romans. War yow!
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:48 am

"If Marhak was as good as he says he is".  Where have I said that?  I've said that I'm capable of writing passable Cornish.  I've said that there are people who are far more competent at it than I am, which is very true.  There's a lot of them.  Which begs the question - why aren't they producing publications in Cornish?  Some of them are very vocal in criticising others while doing nothing meaningful themselvs.  I can't fault Tim there - because he's one of the few who does do so - but he does keep ducking this question of mine.
All of which deflects from the topic of this thread - the book.

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:42 pm

Lowen ov vy, ow Jowal a dheuth hedhyu. My a vynn dallath y redya, ena martesen my a wrug scryfa neppyth omma.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:51 pm

Gwyn dha vys, ha lowen of rakos ... mes gwaytya copy a wrama whath, ha mur whans a'm bus y dhalleth scaffa gallaf!

Soweth!

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:06 pm

kio2 said:

Marhak would not be translating , he would be rewriting his  own work in another language, there is a difference, NJW would be translating . If Marhak was as good as he says he is, and he seems to have been learning Cornish for a long period now, he could have re-written his own work in Cornish, even in Dolly Cornish !

Unnver ov genes. Flows pur yw an govynnow oll ma usi ganso yn kever ken dus. Py dus, na fors fatell vo? Piw bynnag a vons i, dhodho ev y res dhodho govynn, mars eus gwir hwans dhodho o wodhvos pandra yw aga ober yn kever agan yeth.
Y'n kyttermyn ytho, y tal dhodho skrifa hwedhel berr yn Kernewek, hag a-wosa dhana novell, ha romans worttiwedh.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Nov 10, 2009 9:15 am

What are you on about, Tim? You and Ken and Steve have none of you had anything but snide things to say about this book -- which you haven't even read! Craig wrote a book in English, years back. Nicholas translated it into Cornish. It's been published. It's more than 60,000 words of solid Cornish prose.What do we hear? "Why didn't Craig translate it himself?" Not "Congratulations, Craig!" "Well done, Evertype!" "Fair dues, Nicholas!" Nope. None of that. Begrudgers all.Where's your novel, Tim? Ken? Pawl? Steve?PieterCharles will doubtless understand (this time) my frustration when I say "Sheesh!"

factotum

Post by factotum » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:19 pm

And if Tim/Ken/Pawl/Steve/'Pieter' were to write a novel in Cornish, you would of course put all your publishing facilities at their disposal for the good of the language as a whole? Dream on! Your work is entirely partisan. You support only an eccentric minority faction who constantly criticise and seek to undermine the mainstream, and have done so consistently for many years. The only result of this constant barrage is to give the impression to outsiders that the language movement is badly split, which in turn gives them an excuse for not taking it seriously.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:40 pm

Just as your lot did for 20 years with the aid of sizeable grants from Cornwall Council, which weren't available to the rest of us.  And your publications weren't partisan, were they?  Oh, no, not a bit of it – I don't think.
And what did we get from you?  "Your lot aren't worth anything because you don't publish anything".  Well, now we are, and you don't like it.  What a surprise.  It's not just the quantity of material that we are publishing that you don't like, it's the quality of it, too.  It's high standard stuff, both in content and in presentation.  Cornish has never seen this before.  And the flexibility – we're publishing in KS and SWF.  You can't match it.  Any of it.  We couldn't have matched it, either, if we didn't have someone amongst us who was not only willing to do it from his own pocket (and can no more afford to do so than the rest of us), but knew exactly how to do it, through long experience.
It's about talent within your ranks and being able to use it.  If we have such talent among our numbers, why haven't you?   Hardly our fault you haven't.  Not that you yourself have contributed a single printed word to the language revival.  Just bluster and rhetoric.  It's typical of your kind – all bluster, no creativity, no constructiveness.  Negative, negative, negative.
And, Keith, if you need reminding, KK ceased to become the "mainstream" two years ago.  It's YOU who are now the eccentric minority faction.  Live with it.  It''s about time.
It's taken eight pages of this thread to bring you crawling out of your hole.  What finally did it?  The good reviews the book's received, by any chance?