"Whedhlow Kernowek" dyllys gans Evertype

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
truru

Post by truru » Sat Mar 13, 2010 12:42 pm

factotum said:
* To add to the confusion and feed the general impression that Cornish is a big joke.

You're doing that quite well on your own, Keith…
It's very interesting to see who is responsible for turning this thread, after almost a month of silence here, into the usual mud slinging.

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:33 pm

factotum said:
It would certainly be a good idea to keep anything halfways decent written in Cornish in print. Perhaps with footnotes where we now believe the grammar etc. to be wrong, or where we've discovered a better word etc. What I can't understand is why AT (or whoever) won't reprint it as it was written, since anything in UC or Late is 'traditional orthography' in their terms (i.e. anything 'not KK') and therefore entirely cosher. So what really is their aganda? What are they trying to achieve and what is driving them? Some possibilities :
* To bugger KK;
* Ditto the Kesva;
* Ditto the SWF (UC has already been made obsolete by the Process and it's fall-out);

* Ditto the entire Revival;
* To add to the confusion and feed the general impression that Cornish is a big joke.
Add your own suggestions …

It is not news to me that there are people who would like to sideline the contribution of other people to the revival.
I do not want to help them by boycotting any publication of writing in whatever form of Cornish the writer has chosen to use. I am happy to buy any of Evertype's publications of Nicholas Williams' translations of English into KS that interest me and are offered at affordable prices.
I do not think that KS will in any way succeed in marginalising the contribution of those who use KK or the SWF.
I would like to read as much of Caradar's work as I can get hold of, as he wrote it. For that reason I will not be buying this book and will continue to look out for second hand copies of the originals.

factotum

Post by factotum » Sat Mar 13, 2010 9:56 pm

If you look over on the Spelly list you'll see that Ray Chubb speaking for AT has just dissociated himself and AT and his bookselling business from M&N's rehashing of Caradar. Someone really didn't do their market research. I wonder if AT could see their way to republishing this material, or indeed the writings of Nance etc. At the very least this material has great historical and linguistic interest as a record of how the Revival first took off, and hardly any of it is now easily accessible.
When the UC dinosaurs ruled the earth, they were criticised for suppressing anything not in UC, that was the only Cornish anyone was allowed to see. Even the original versions of the historical texts were never reprinted, that only happened after KK was introduced, along with a new genuine interest in investigating Cornish as it really was. Now Mick'n'Nick seem to be playing the very same game, but without having first created a community of readers for their product.

truru

Post by truru » Sat Mar 13, 2010 10:14 pm

Perhaps there is opposition to this because Caradar only died in 1950, there are probably people still alive who knew him and resent people who didn't know him speaking for him.
Then again I don't see why we should feel the need to be so attached to the orthography he used, surely it's the words that count. I understand KS better than I do UC and probably so do most other post-SWF learners and I would rather see a KS version, as long as it sticks exactly to what he wrote, i.e. grammar and vocabulary, and only the orthography was updated.
As for Evertype publications in general, Michael and Nicholas seem to be mostly publishing translated short stories from the public domain, or republishing other people's work, perhaps with the intent of flooding the market with KS. Nevertheless they are also contributing to the amount of Cornish that is being published, and I don't see anyone else doing that.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:15 am

truru said:
Nevertheless they are also contributing to the amount of Cornish that is being published, and I don't see anyone else doing that.

Y fydhydh rag henna lowen ow mires orth rolasow Kesva an Taves, Kowethas an Yeth, ha Francis Boutle.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Mar 14, 2010 1:24 am

Grassow meur dhis a'n dhow venegyans na.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:35 am

truru said:
Nevertheless they are also contributing to the amount of Cornish that is being published, and I don't see anyone else doing that.

Oh.  That's odd.  You don't have to look very far.
You must have missed the post about the latest book published by the Kowethas, truru.  It's called Hwedhlow dhiworth an Orsedh.
It's by a number of modern authors - about a dozen I think - in different styles and orthographies.  There's some Late Cornish stories in it, truru, so you'll want to get a copy as soon as possible because it's doubtless selling like hot cakes.

Eddie-C

Post by Eddie-C » Sun Mar 14, 2010 4:59 pm

For once, pietercharles makes a sound point, even though s/he was unable to resist venting her/his PMS/PMS-by-proxy in the closing sentence.

I would add that truru has also overlooked the new publications produced over the last year by Spyrys a Gernow. Apart from some new items, these include accurate reprints of works from the earlier Revival. One of my favourites is the modern humorous miracle-play 'Bewnans Alysaryn' by Peggy Pollard, the first in Spyrys's series of "Modern Cornish Classics". This 1941 play is (iirc) the only one of three to have survived from the writings of 'Arlodhes Ywerdhon' Pollard, and has been republished in its original, authentic UC, untainted by latter-day revisionist meddling.

Spyrys's current catalogue may be viewed online either at the new Agan Tavas site, or on their own homepage, and includes both their own publications and those of other Cornish publishers:
http://www.agantavas.com/dafar.html
http://www.spyrys.org/

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:46 pm

Eddie-C said:
For once, pietercharles makes a sound point, even though s/he was unable to resist venting her/his PMS/PMS-by-proxy in the closing sentence.

Anyone have the faintest idea what he's on about?

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:52 pm

If any comment with a possible slight edge to it is a symptom of PMS, then this is a heavily female dominated forum, in spite of the names people are using.

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:53 pm