Maga Newsletter

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Gwelhevyn

Maga Newsletter

Post by Gwelhevyn » Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:17 pm

I notice three new publications, one in KK ( parts of the Bible), two in the SWF, one published by the Kowethas and the other an outside publisher,( The Little Prince), also a newsletter in the SWF MC version.

Eddie-C

Re: Maga Newsletter

Post by Eddie-C » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:00 am

The newsletter seems to avoid mentioning which orthography any of these publications are in (unless my eyes missed such info). I know there are others who will avoid books in some of the plethora of orthographies on offer.

Now, I can understand that such a detail is largely irrelevant for an oral event such as a Yeth an Weryn, say, or for the latest lovely edition of Radyo an Gernewegva. But it's very relevant for books, and it's even more relevant for Cornish classes. The Newsletter gives a comprehensive listing of classes, both inside and outwith Cornwall, and for distance learning. And it gives full details of phone numbers, places, times and so on. But NOT the orthography the teacher will be using.

Why the omission?

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:14 am

Eddie-C wrote:The newsletter seems to avoid mentioning which orthography any of these publications are in (unless my eyes missed such info).
Yth esa an fowt gans dha dhewlagas.

Gwelhevyn

Post by Gwelhevyn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:07 am

It gives the orthography in brackets at the end of the description for the books (KK) for the bible and (SWF) for the other two books, I agree regarding the lessons, although you could probably guess from who is teaching it, for those in the know.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Fri Aug 20, 2010 2:11 pm

As far as classes are concerned I think MAGA has got it right.

More experienced learners can work out for themselves what is taught in each class - and they can always ring the contact number if they're really not sure.

But the list is really most useful for new learners, and our aim has to be to encourage anybody thinking of joining a class to take that big step. To get as many of them as possible into a class without putting them off before they even start.

What matters is that they find a convenient class (location, day, time) that caters for beginners. The MAGA list gives them that information in an easily digestible form.

It would be confusing and unhelpful to add a column describing the kind of Cornish taught - Kemmyn, Late Dresser, Middle SWF/T, Unified, Late SWF/T, Middle SWF/M, Unified Revised, Late Gendall, Kemmyn++, Hykka's Own Cornish.

How can a new learner even begin to make a choice? How many would be put off by the apparent complexity of it all? How many would give up considering a class, in case they chose the 'wrong' Cornish?

Just get them into a class! It doesn't matter what kind of Cornish they learn, as long as they're learning. They'll soon discover for themselves the varied and rich nature of the Cornish language landscape and they can make choices then if they feel the need to.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:53 pm

Gwir pub ger!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Gwelhevyn

Post by Gwelhevyn » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:46 pm

The Late Cornish newsletter also announced in Maga, looks a interesting for those who would like to sample LC, the newsletter is in the SWF/LC version, by Neil Kennedy.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:51 pm

Y fia da genev gweles henna.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates