Gwask an Orlewen

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
GanO

Gwask an Orlewen

Post by GanO » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:10 am

Gwask an Orlewen
. . .dyllor noweth Kernewek.

Lowen on deryvas bos dyllor Kernewek noweth ow mora orth an Orseth hevleny. Gwask an Orlewen a dhylle dafar yn Kernewek, hag yn yethow erel magata. Agan towl yu profya dyllansow dynyak, hep dhedha bos re ger. Oll warbarth yma eth lyver y’gan Rol Mora—us: ETH anedha!

Ry poslef re wrussyn dhe lyfrow rak fleghes ha dyskoryon—del wodher, an dus yonk-na yu mur aga bry rak devedhek agan tavas.

Ha rak Kernewegoryon moy freth, mur a les dhedha gallos redya an dresorva a scryfow cotha dyworth an Dasserghyans avar ha kens henna. Gyllys ker po cales dhe gafos yu kemmys a’n oberow-na, kynth yuy ran a ertach lyenak pup huny ahanan.

Unver gans Agan Tavas, Gwask an Orlewen a scoth pup furf a Gernewek us selyes war an yeth ystorek—Kernewek Tradycyonal ha tra vyth nahen!

Why a yl orderna agan dyllansow Kernewek dyworth stalla Spyrys a Gernow an jeth hedhyu orth Gorseth 2010.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

GanO

Re: Gwask an Orlewen

Post by GanO » Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:10 am

Gwask an Orlewen
. . .a new Cornish publisher.

We are happy to announce the launching at this year’s Gorseth of a new Cornish publisher. Gwask an Orlewen publish material in Cornish and other languages. Our aim is to produce attractive books at an affordable price. Altogether there are 8 books in our Launch List—yep, EIGHT!

We’ve placed an emphasis on creating books for children and learners, because these young people are clearly so important to the future of our Cornish language.

On the other hand, it’s also very important that more fluent Cornish speakers be able to read the treasury of older writings from the early Revival and before. So many of those works have become expensive, or hard to find—even though they’re part of the Cornish literary heritage of us all.

Just like Agan Tavas, Gwask an Orlewen supports every one of the historical forms of Cornish—Traditional Cornish and nothng else!

Our Cornish publications can be ordered today from Spyrys a Gernow’s stall at Gorseth 2010
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:49 am

Gwask nowydh - y'n grassyav dhe Dhuw! Yth esa war an arwoedh na fismant neb unn omsav faskek yn Pow Frynk nans yw pella es 30 blydhen. Res dhymm avowa dell worras henna nebes skeusow warnav orttalleth, mes wosa henna yth ith dhe brederi a-nowydh. Y hwonn vy bones tus an anvi yn-hwostoedh dhe dybyansow loskvenek fest, mes ny dybeyn vy a leun golonn dell vynnsens i omdhyllo dhe faskoryon!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:13 am

Where does fascism come into this? It looks to me like a Baner Peran/compass rose amalgam with the arrow pointing west, which makes sense given the name of the publisher.

Have you a link to the symbol you're talking about? I can't find any French fascism symbol that remotely resembles it.

A new publisher for Cornish books! Just what's needed! Shame I can't attend the Gorsedd for its launch but, you know, the equines are calling - especially my new lady - and are rather hard to resist.

PS What is "yn-hwostoedh"? Can't find that in any dictionary.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:35 am

Not only a new publisher for Cornish books. TRADITIONAL Cornish books! How excellent is that?

(Does Marhak prefer a day with the horses to a day at the Gorseth? Does the Pope chase choirboys?)

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:23 am

Yth yw eudhek hevelyb orth omsav henwys 'Occident' nans yw lies blydhen.
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:23 am

Henn yw, an arwoedh.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sat Sep 04, 2010 10:35 am

Wolcùm, Gwask an Orlewen!

Gwelhevyn

Post by Gwelhevyn » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:54 am

Ah le masque est tombé. Un membre du Agan Tavas.( merde. La langue incorrecte)

Ah an vysour a gothas , esel Agan Tavas, yth of vy ow wolcumma agan gwarthevyasysy noweth !

( yn Kernow-Bretonek )

Ah an visour a goedhas (goodhas?) , esel Agan Tavas, yth ov vy ow tynnerghi agan gwarthevyasysi nowydh !

Gwelhevyn

Post by Gwelhevyn » Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:58 am

ah ken fowt !
Yth esof(v) vy ow ........

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:09 pm

Who gives a sod who it is - these are books, in Cornish and in traditional Cornish. It's always being said that the "traditionalists" don't publish anything, well here's the answer. The critics can't have it both ways (although I'm sure you'd enjoy that, Steve).

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sat Sep 04, 2010 7:51 pm

Gwelhevin a skrifas:
Ah an visour a goedhas...
Yn gwiryonedh an visour a goedhas de, y'n neusenn a-dro dhe Alys.

Unnver ov gans Marhak. Lyvrow yn Kernewek yns ha da vydh henna rag an yeth, ny vern an lytherennieth.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sat Sep 04, 2010 8:30 pm

I've been after a copy of Trystan hag Ysolt for years. Very hard to find, and if you do, the prices tend to be out of my league. Well done, Gwask an Orlewen - my order is with you. (And to see companion volumes with the text in both English and French is equally good - as Caradar translated his from the French). Also nice to discover that Caradar's spelling has been left alone.

GanO

Post by GanO » Sun Sep 05, 2010 7:18 pm

The Gorseth yesterday in Porth Ya was delightful; the weather brightened up in the afternoon, and a couple of us watched the ceremonials from up on the rocky hill in the centre of the so-called Island (actually a promontary). The circle of bards and spectators below us was set against a backdrop of golden sand and aquamarine sea sparkling in the sunshine. It was magic! And An Bardh Mur spoke out strongly against the proposed gerrymandering of Kernow's historic boundaries by the Cons-ervative government: "The Tamar has been Kernow's border for a thousand years..."!)

Despite some last minute hiccups, Gwask an Orlewen -- henceforth GanO :o --had rather a successful launch. We'd no sooner laid out GanO's stock on the Spyrys a Gernow stall than our first customer bought a copy of 'Trystan hag Ysolt' by Caradar & Carer Brynyow and bore away her purchase with a big smile. By late afternoon, we only had a single book left, so Spyrys have been taking advance orders while awaiting their next delivery of stock from us.

All of GanO's books can be pre-ordered right now from Spyrys a Gernow:
http://www.AganTavas.com/dafar.html
(email: shoppa@spyrys.org )
...and from 20 Sept 2010, our online store will be fully stocked and open with our complete range of books.
http://www.GwaskAnOrlewen.com

In the meantime, however, we do have a few items available now, just so the place doesn't look so disappointingly empty to any visitors. There's a couple of small downloadable freebies, and a single book for sale (one that didn't quite make it into print in time for the Gorseth!).

Annoyingly though, the site seems to display prices only in $US at the moment; but if you click the 'Add to Basket' button, there's a menu at the bottom left of that page where you can switch to £GB or Euros, if you prefer.

One of the freebies is a (slightly updated) e-booklet of the publicity flyers we were handing out yesterday at St.Ives, containing our complete starting list of eight publications. So, if you couldn't make it on the day...why, this is almost as good as being there in the sunshine and sea breeze!
;)
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

GanO

Post by GanO » Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:02 pm

Gwask an Orlewen: update

Barring computer crashes, our on-line store will be opening to the public next Monday, 20 Sept 2010. All of the publications mentioned in our leaflet will be on sale there, but if you can't wait till then, you can order any of them right now from Spyrys a Gernow (contact details below). If you haven't seen our leaflet yet, or visited our store to download a copy, there's a list of all eight of those titles below.

In addition, we'll be starting a brand new series for youngsters and learners; these will be fun publications at Pocket-Money Prices ( ! ), in both printed and e-book formats. We hope to have 2 of them ready in a choice of either UC or SWF/T, but we're gonna launch with whatever's available on the day (and catch up with our good intentions dreckly!)

Lyfrow dyworth Gwask an Orlewen (Books from Gwask an Orlewen)

Rak tus lundevys/freth (For adults/fluent readers)
Trystan hag Ysolt.
tr. ASD Smith ha David Watkins (KU)
The Romance of Tristram and Iseult. tr. Florence Simmonds (Saws.)
Tristan & Iseult: the colour plates. Maurice Lalau, ed. EF Climo. free e-book
Yn Kernewek Lavar e! Say it in Cornish! Edwin Chirgwin (KU)

Rak fleghes/dallethoryon (For children/beginners)
Lyver Lywa (A colouring Book).
Randolph Caldecott (KU + Saws.)
Lyver Liwa (A colouring Book).Randolph Caldecott (FSS/T + Saws.)
• Kevres Redya #1. Whethlow Dama Goth. EF Young ha WT Field (KU)
• Kevres Redya #1. Whedhlow Dama Goodh. EF Young ha WT Field (FSS/T)

Prena agan Lyfrow (Buying our Books)
• All of our books, e-books and free resources will available from 20.09.2010 in our online store:
http://www.gwaskanorlewen.com
• All our printed publications may be bought from Spyrys a Gernow:
http://www.agantavas.com/dafar.html
shoppa@spyrys.org
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr