Gwask an Orlewen

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Anselm

Re: Gwask an Orlewen

Post by Anselm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 12:39 am

Marig - gwell dhyn gasa kres dhe dus an anvi. Hedhyn gans gorthebi dhe venym ha flows a'n par na, hag orttiwedh y kollons i nell
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

juglor

Post by juglor » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:15 am

Craig seems to find this a major problem, what is wrong with a well known person endorsing a publication,, all the better to sell copies and advance the language, who would Craig or Eddie prefer to endorse their Popeye books , Everson or Williams ?

juglor

Post by juglor » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:17 am

pietercharles wrote:
Marhak got his facts wrong:
You hollow sod - you had already posted on that thread so knew damn well what I was referring to. And repeated it here. Cretin.
That's not true. That's simply not true.

Try doing some research before making accusations, Marhak.
Check the times of the postings. I haven't. But I don't need to because I know what you say is not true because I know that I didn't see 'that thread' until after I'd posted here.
Not that it has any relevance to your begrudging, negative, naysaying in any case.

Check the times of the postings, Marhak.

Cretin?
Craig doing research ? hell will freeze over first, or Cornwall will become an independant nation.

juglor

Post by juglor » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:21 am

The problem with Gwas, it cannot decide on a single orthography , which is really confusing to learners, maybe Eddie cannot figure out the SWF/t frim UC ,but really apart from translating American comix, at least stick to a sinlge orthography and maybe get someone famous to endorse it, maybe Lady GaGa.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:10 am

Nyns eus edhomm vyth a'n kudynn ma, ha ny gonvedhav mann prag y fydh tus an anvi owth omsetha y'n droes herwydh an gis ma.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

GanO

Post by GanO » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:23 am

Your starter, Cornwall24, with 10 extra points for each correctly identified error, is this:

Who wrote the following and why should he/she/it not have (even in Kemmynn!)?
Dew lyvrow , dew dhylleroryon.
[compère, in jocular aside: "Why would this ignoramus be swearing by the "God of Books and Publishers"? Just kidding, folks; I know the Kemmynnites get Duality and Divinity all mixed up!]
[cue: canned laughter/applause from virtual audience!]

Your bonus questions for a further 10 apiece are, how would one translate the following axioms into Cornish?
1) Porcum educare non posset.
2) Pork is just a Hog who'd like to dine with His Betters.
3) Pig is as Ignorant does.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:45 am

The quick answer, of course, is that we don't seek out anyone to endorse our books. We let the merit of each one speak for itself.

GanO

Post by GanO » Sun Nov 14, 2010 1:25 pm

Since it's evidently now kwite kosker to have Cornish books endorsed by non-Kernewegoryon, at least, according to the KKowethas (who jokingly say they "officially represent the Whole Revival" [Ho ho!]), perhaps Gwask an Orlewen should follow this wise counsel. Maybe I should ask my nephew for his views on our next Parvum Opus. He'd be absolutely perfect seemingly, as he can't read Cornish; in fact, he can't read anything yet as he's only 3 months old! But I'm sure his fond mama would interpret his gurglings into a comprehensive 'keynsgrif' (or whatever) for us!

By the by, I was originally intending (in a spirit of irony, you know) to have our cat feature in the preceding remarks, but then remembered a learned article published about The Cat a few years ago on the CornishOrthography forum. Some of you might not be familiar with his work in Cornish lexicography:
An Geryadorer Dyslettrys (Gerva an Skrynkyer, vol. IV, pp.1-2):
cat
The cat, Felis theomorphis tigris, is a sage beast, and the ultimate arbiter in matters linguistical, as
those who have studied their pronouncements can attest. Who else but a pheline philologist
could have validated the daring neo-Chomskian Deep-Grammar hypothesis that "No! Stop it!" is
actually semantically synonymous with "Yes! Go ahead!" ?

The Ancient Egyptians acknowledged this expertise in a temple inscription at Karnak dedicated to the cat-god, Bâst:

I shewed Ye Khâtt a page of Khê-m-mynn,
Ask'd him what he mayde of it.
With fangèd smyle he said, 'It lackes
Authentickality a bit.

Kath-hotep II (ca. 1500 BC, trans. Parmiggiano, 1745)

Taking this ancient advice to heart, I asked the views of my own tabby Guru, over a glass of mulled glühwein one dour winter's evening, after we'd been perusing some kemmynnnous websites together, out of idle curiosity. He was not amused:

My stomach is going like a Mexican
Bean, 'cos a fur-ball is stuck—
Or maybe I've swallowed a lexicon
Of Kemmynn, or similar muck'.

Bonsaí MacTiger (2006 AD)
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

keanu1

Post by keanu1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:17 pm

it is interesting how the publishers of of Gwask are so childish and insecure ,it is unfortunate

keanu1

Post by keanu1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:19 pm

hey Craig you did not object to your book being printed outside of Cornwall by evertype,57 years and still not fluent in Cornish?

keanu1

Post by keanu1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 2:21 pm

watch for my new Gwask site, there are a hundred ip addresses in this city hard to keep me away,

SalaciousCrumb

Post by SalaciousCrumb » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:32 pm

You really are a vile, snivelling little invertebrate, Reeves. Your putrid mewlings creeping their illiterate and childish way across the screen show you to be the intellectual midget that you are. You poor, sad, laughable little humunculus. Has it taken you this long to lick you wounds after the last lambasting, before you dragged your pitiful multiple personalities back here to plague us all again? Do you have so little in your life that you need to come here to be abused and so obtain the attention that you so obviously crave? Even abuse is better to you than being ignored, you sad, lonely little excretion.

What a really pathetic little maggot you must be. Go away, worm. And take your pre-school spelling, ignorant English and pathetic attempts at Cornish elsewhere, along with your multiple personas, and shove them where only your imaginary friends will find them.

Nyaaaaa, haaaa, haaa, haaa, haaaaaa!

keanu1

Post by keanu1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 10:41 pm

wonderful such intelligence from you guys, and to think Crumboy is the poster boy of the revival, so sad. My new Kernewek-Progressive site is up,kernewek-progressive.com and a wonderful new Gwask site, coming up, believe me, and it is not popeye , let's just say it is for adults, I asked you to stop, but no Eddie and Crumboy just cannot help themselves, pity,.
Poor Eddie.

GanO

Post by GanO » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:00 pm

Yet another fantasy version of mock-Cornish to add to your pathetic collection. This one will last no longer than any of the others, and then what will you do? Waste more time, instead of learning our beautiful language properly, and enabling yourself to enjoy it fully and (maybe) even create something to help others do the same.

As it is, you have no place whatsoever in the Cornish Revival, and (despite your paranoid Fascist Conspiracy delusions to the contrary), that's entirely your own doing.

As the saying goes, Mr. Reeves, you don't have an Inferiority Complex — you simply are inferior.
Last edited by GanO on Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

keanu1

Post by keanu1 » Sun Nov 14, 2010 11:03 pm

Hey Eddie try this site http://gwaskanorlewen.sensualwriter.com/ hope they are big enough for you