Gwask an Orlewen

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Tydn

Re: Gwask an Orlewen

Post by Tydn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:43 am

Keith has valid points, at least he was not rabbiting on about sponsors and whether they were Cornish enough, mind you Alice is not Cornish, nor is Evertype nor Williams,for diacritics , I am surprised Craig did not have a hissy fit over that, being the proponent of ethnic purity that that he seems to be from some of his posts.
visit Goky's great blog and Kernewek Progressive, just google 'goky blog' or
keltack.typepad.com/an_blog_goky_en_kernewek

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Nov 16, 2010 8:00 am

Craig's typing fingers in motion yet again before he's engaged his brain - best ignored.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:57 am

Evertype wrote:
But perhaps PC doesn't think Keith is "reasonable".
Spot on, Evertype!

No 'perhaps' about it. No, I don't think 'Keith' is at all reasonable.

Which is specifically why I wrote:
"When Evertype and GanOw announce publications on C24 no reasonable person says anything in the least bit degrogatory".

Carping about Cornish publications is the behaviour of unreasonable people. And 'unreasonable' is a charitable description - it's worse than that.

I am extremely pleased to see that you, at least, have recognised that Marhak's behaviour is no different from that of other unreasonable people on C24.

Like me, you might later grow to realise that Marhak's behaviour is actually far worse than that of the other unreasonable people on C24.
Because the unreasonable people on C24 are all practically unknown in Cornwall. With the exception of Marhak, who is well-known for very good reasons.
And with that comes responsiblity.
A responsibility that Marhak seems totally incapable of exercising.

GanO

Post by GanO » Tue Nov 16, 2010 11:54 am

petracharlotte asserted:
... the unreasonable people on C24 are all practically unknown in Cornwall.
Well, you certainly are, at least under your oh-so-important pseudonym.
petracharlotte frothed:
...Marhak, who is well-known for very good reasons.
Celebrated Cornish novelist; writer on Cornish history, archaeology and toponymy; long-time Chairman of Agan Tavas; award-winning equestrian; teacher, student and translator of Cornish; a valued contributor to the publication list of Gwask an Orlewen; respected public speaker; personal friend to many in the Revival ... yes, many very good reasons for him to be "well-known in Cornwall".

But I think you missed out the crucial 2 words in that diatribe, 2 little words which would explain why you have an obvious personal animosity towards Marhak in particular. I've underlined these extra two wee words in square brackets, to avoid any appearance of trying to put words into your mouth.
petracharlotte almost said:
...Marhak, who is well-known [to me] for very good reasons.
I think Marhak and you have crossed each other many times over the years, in areas wherein --unlike you-- he has real and acknowledged expertise. I think you trumpeted your own pet notions and he showed you the error of your ways. I think it happened repeatedly and publicly, and that your wounded pride has never forgiven him for the 'humiliation' of being shown to be in error.

Such spiteful, handbag-slapping malice suggests a well-known epigram:

Del scryfas William Congreve, "Yffarn ny'n jeves connar kepar ha gwragh scornyes."
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:44 pm

One of those responsibilities is to speak out against those things I perceive to be wrong. Not many have the courage to do so, fewer still in openness of their identity. Many wrongs have been perpetrated on this bleary world because people hadn't the spine to speak out, and many wrongs are being done to our language, history and culture. I don't expect everyone to agree, but a good many do. Outspokenness has cost me heavily more than once, but that's the way bullies operate, and I've never, ever, given way to them. Nor shall I start now.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:49 pm

Her sister is much, much nicer in every respect 8-)

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:27 pm

Bit of a change of life coming up, GanO. Tonight's talk to the Penzance OCS on 'The Place-Names of Cornwall' will be the very last. 30+ years and hundreds of talks/lectures - time to hand over to someone else. Semi-retirement will free up a lot more time - for researching and writing; an archaeological dig (paid) at the end of January (because HES and EH aren't involved), and even been asked to take on the Rolls-Royce of horses - the 18 hand, police-trained, magical Shogun! Have placed my name on the order list for the new Mellotron 4000-D (my prezzie to me - have wanted a 'tron for 40 years! Imagine what my place is going to sound like once that's up and running. With that and the synths, I might even produce some concept albums). Life's far better than it has been for years, and I view Reeves, PC and their ilk as mild irritations.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:34 pm

P.S. Concept albums - the idea of Sue Aston's* husband - imagine Cornish poetry narrated with mellotron and synth backing. To get an idea - go to YouTube and type in: Mike Pinder Among the Stars (that's ex-Moody Blue and mellotron genius Mike Pinder).

*Sue Aston - amazing Cornish composer and violinist. Several of her tracks are on YouTube as well and well worth the view.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:40 pm

Of course, PC has deliberately twisted what I have said, to suit her own little personal grudges. I have not 'carped' about the publication. Not at all. I questioned the endorsement of it, and what seemed to be a curious choice of endorser.

GanO

Post by GanO » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:00 pm

Indeed, marhak. Just imagine the howls of derision if Gwask an Orlewen had announced the publication of, say, "Arluth Byghan Fauntleroy" (blegh!) in SWF/K (ditto), with a foreword by Maggie Thatcher.

The mind boggles!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:05 pm

You've only to view some of the viciousness that's appeared on here whenever Evertype or GanO produce a new publication. PC and the others are remarkably quiet about that and are, therefore, outstandingly hypocritical. It's nothing new, though - I've observed this behaviour from that camp for 25 years.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 2:13 pm

Reeves wonders why I don't carp about diacritics. Why on earth should I? I've seen 'em on our signposts and maps for decades. I used them in "The Lyonesse Stone" back in 1991, long before KS. They're there in Jenner, too, and I view them as perfectly natural to the language (as they are in every other Celtic language). Yes, they can be a pain to type because we use Eng. language keyboards, but that's the only downside that I see.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:51 pm

pietercharles wrote:I am extremely pleased to see that you, at least, have recognised that Marhak's behaviour is no different from that of other unreasonable people on C24.
I should be grateful to you if you would not put words into my mouth or speak about what I do or do not recognize. I can make my own judgements without your help, and I can choose to make them public here or not, as I prefer.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:17 pm

If, "Pieter", you 'don't think that Keith is at all unreasonable', why are you not "stalking' him, too? Or is it your habit to apply double standards?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:19 pm

And don't you think your erroneous assumption, stated as "fact", and ascribed to Evertype, is a prime example of your fantasies?