Kywni

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Marhak

Re: Kywni

Post by Marhak » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:27 pm

I am questioning a theoretical spelling and still haven't received a satisfactory answer. I have every right to ask that question and am looking for a clear answer undisguised by the sort of evasive flannel just posted by "Pieter". Nor have I received any answer I put to "Pieter" several days ago, which he/she is avoiding.

GanO

Post by GanO » Sun Oct 03, 2010 10:51 am

Marhak's contribution to the Revival is well known, and includes both a range of fiction and non-fiction books, as well as chairing Agan Tavas through some difficult years in his own calm and unflappable way. One of his latest contributions has been published by Gwask an Orlewen, in the first pair of volumes in our 'Kevres Redya' series, of which he is co-translator/co-editor with Eddie Climo.

But what has 'pietercharles' ever contributed? Nothing at all as far as Google can tell, at least not under that name. So, let's ask again and (maybe) for the Nth time of asking, we'll get something resembling a straight answer.

'pietercharles', have you ever under your real name (or, indeed, under yet another pseudonym) ever done any of the following:
1) attended Cornish classes?
2) taught Cornish classes?
3) written or translated a book/blog/web-site in Cornish?
4) been to a Yeth an Weryn?
5) held office in any Cornish-language organisation?
6) made any other contribution to the Cornish Revival?

If the claimed answer to any of those questions is 'yes', please name one or more trusted confidants who would be willing (without breaking your oh-so-invaluable pseudonymity) to vouch for the factualness of your claim.

In the confident expectation of a prompt and responsive reply, I shall now start to hold my breath ...

(...crosses fingers covertly behind back)
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Oct 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Don't tell him, Pike!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:19 pm

Well, we think that Pike should. He/she has plenty to say about others but we know nothing of Pike. Let Pike tell us exactly what he/she has contributed to Cornish. We're all getting little tired of Pike's cowardice.

GanO

Post by GanO » Sun Oct 03, 2010 8:16 pm

Mars yu mas ow hof, 'pietracharlotte' a avowas hy/y dhe vos hep an dhewgell dhe wul yndella, herwyth hy/y lavar hy/y honen war an forum-ma dhe'n lyha.

Ryth wanna, dha hanow yu PC!

:P
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Oct 04, 2010 7:48 am

Yes, PC did state a while ago that he/she had no cojones. I'm starting to believe it. I wonder if PC is the same 'expert' who recently asked whether 'an Chapel' or 'an Japel' is correct! :o

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:27 pm

Instruct him not to dare think of serving soggy chips to you and the crew of your trawler. Inform him that, except they be crisp and golden, you will place his name on your List.
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 8:33 pm

I can't really see that late nineteenth century spellings of the dialect word (keuney, Bottrell, or cuny, Courtney) suggest kewni rather than kywni. I'm happy to spell it and say it either way. It seems like it was an almost-lost word that we're lucky to have at all thanks to the combination of dialect and Breton.

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:10 pm

Del hevel, kywni a styr pynag tevyans byhan gwer, glas po liw aral war pynag arenep. Yma ethom dhymm a keniver ger rag taklow an par na ages dhe dus an randiryow a'n gledhbarth rag ergh. My a'm beus hantercans eghenn anedha y'm gegin, moy y'm wolghva, deg sort war ow horf, krestenn tew anodho war an daras-rag, milvlew medhel y'n londer, kyns es my dhe dhiberth unnweyth dhiworth an chi.

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Mon Oct 04, 2010 9:40 pm

As it happens, answers to several of Ganow an Orlewin's questions have been given already by PieterCharles on this forum. I know that PC teaches Cornish (I don't know what contribution to the revival could be more important than that), attends Cornish language events, and often gives help to learners on this website. Not that anyone has to justify their existence to anyone else anyway.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Oct 04, 2010 10:02 pm

Gwir an ger a gewsydh. Prag y fynnons i omworra dhe wokki yn enep an bobel war an wiasva ma?
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 12:06 am

Yes, Karesk, I think they do need to justify their stance and their credintials, when people like PC do their damnedest to character-assasinate someone (me), and hide behind their anonymity.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Tue Oct 05, 2010 8:48 am

Apparently you can't see any similarity between your behaviour and character-assassination, marhak.

You use this forum for unjustified and unwarranted attacks on individuals, organisations and spelling systems you happen not to like or agree with.

Each time you do this, which is frequently, I do two things.

I point out that your attacks are unjustified and unwarranted. That is not character-assassination.

But more importantly I explain just why and how they are unjustified and unwarranted. That is not character-assassination.

Your latest snide comment was about the 'expert' (your belittling quotation marks) that asked whether An Chapel or An Japel was correct.

Firstly, I'll point out that the person in question does not call themselves an 'expert'. But you like labelling people, and here the clear suggestion is that the person is one of those who, in your recent words, 'parade their own ability but doing (sic) little to help forge a future for Cornish'. These people do not exist.

Secondly, I'll point out that anybody should be able to check their use of Cornish without worrying about whether people like you will sneer at them in public on C24 as a result.

I'm just explaining why your comments about the 'expert' were unjustified and unwarranted, marhak. That is not character-assassination.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:21 am

How very interesting that you apparently know who I was talking about. Only a very few do, and those on a closed list, and I studiously avoided naming that person. I've been sneered at many times for not being fluent in Cornish, as well as for other reasons, and people have to learn to take it as well as dish it out. BUT - I do it in the knowledge that people know who Marhak is. I don't hide. Like some I could mention.

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:34 am

Kewni ha kosk a dhalleth tevi war an neusenn ma.