Kywni

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Re: Kywni

Post by Evertype » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:36 am

It is interesting, Marhak, to compare those who walk and work proudly as themselves, saying openly what they have to say, with those others who just skulk and dish out supercilious reprimands. :roll:

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 am

Well, the ploy worked to a certain extent. PC has now narrowed his/her identity down to just a handful of people - the only ones who could have known who I was talking about. Of those, I can eliminate 50% from all suspicion.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:49 am

And my main suspect all along is one of the remainder.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:13 pm

marhak a skrifas:
...and people have to learn to take it as well as dish it out.
No, Marhak, that's where you're going wrong.

People have to learn NOT to dish it out. Read that bit again till it sinks in.

And given that you dish it out so very often, just think of the example you would set if only you could bring
yourself not to do it.
hag ynwedh:
Well, the ploy worked to a certain extent.
Most readers will not be in the least surprised to see you admitting that you purposefully set out to sneer at people on a public forum, and that in this case, as far as you're concerned, 'the ploy worked'.

And Evertype seems to think that such behaviour falls into the category of 'walking proudly'.

Sheesh.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Oct 05, 2010 2:35 pm

Sheesh? (Wasn't that Jinksy the cat?). And was it me who was 'dishing it out' in 1997? I think not and I consider myself more than entitled to a bit of payback). The ploy, if you hadn't twigged it, was to draw your identity out. With all the things you've gotten involved in, I'm surprised you can find the time to post on here.

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:04 pm

Gallas dhe gywni yn tien y'n eur ma.

GanO

Post by GanO » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:23 pm

'gallas' = 3 unyk tremenys a 'gallos' marnas my a gamgofhaf. Ytho styr dha lavar a vya (yn Kernewek coynt dres kynda) "it was able to moss".

Abarth an jawl; scant ny allaf y gryjy!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Karesk

Post by Karesk » Tue Oct 05, 2010 6:44 pm

Ty a govha yn ewn. Mes ty a ankev bos "gallas" 3 unnik perfydh a "mos" ynweth. Assay arta!

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Wed Oct 06, 2010 3:11 pm

An Jarles there seems to think that lurking in wait to spank Craig for practically anything he says is laudable. And doesn't seem to understand that the lurking and the spanking is a form of "dishing it out".

I think it's safe to say that we've sussed out An Jarles' identity. But then there's that bit about "walking proudly". I wonder what that might mean.

It's not difficult.

For me, it means saying "I am Michael Everson, a publisher of Cornish-language books. Our books are in an orthography that improves on the political compromise which is the SWF by correcting some linguistic errors in it, including removing forms which are not Traditional in what is called the SWF/T." It means putting up with a lot of silly abuse from spoilers who mostly won't even read the books, out of spite because they're not in KK and because I helped show the Commissioners that KK was unsupportable. But I'm proud of the books, of the ones published and the ones which are being readied for publication.

"Skulking" means doing what An Jarles does, which is mostly sniping at Craig and pretending to have superior behaviour. It's interesting, though, that An Jarles never answers Craig's question: What have you done for the Language? Of course, An Jarles can't... because to do so would be to give up the anonymity which permits a continued "dishing of it out".

GanO

Post by GanO » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:27 pm

Karesk wrote:Ty a govha yn ewn.
Ass oma skyansek!
8-)
Karesk wrote:Mes ty a ankev bos "gallas" 3 unnik perfydh a "mos" ynweth.
... po martesen an ger ewn yu 'dyskyans'
:(
Karesk wrote:Assay arta!
Yn gwella prys da yu genef blas bran rostys!
<densel densel!>
:P
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Tennven

Post by Tennven » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:34 pm

But then, If you've worked out his/her identity already... The question, what has he/she done for the revival becomes self evident, has it not?

Have we learnt anything about Kywni from this thread???

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Oct 06, 2010 5:39 pm

There are no sacred cows. If I don't like an orthography then I - and anyone else - have every right to say so. That's why this is a discussion forum. So that such views can be freely aired. Of course, it helps if one explains that viewpoint. I've done both. In PC's PC World (God, that's an awful pun), some things must be treated as sacrosanct and, therefore, I'm a terrible person. You know what? I'm quite happy about that.

Yes, Tennven. That the y vowel is wrong. It should be <kewny>, and meanings are as specified in eaalier posts.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Wed Oct 06, 2010 11:22 pm

It is positively absurd for Evertype to suggest that I lurk in wait to spank Marhak for practically anything he says.

Marhak is a prolific poster (to say the least) and I make no response at all to the great majority of his posts.

Evertype is, however, correct that I don't understand that what I am doing is "dishing it out". Why not?

Well, Marhak frequently, out of the blue, makes posts about the language or the revival which are either misleading or wrong. At the same time he invariably decides to "dish it out" (Marhak's phrase, not mine) and take a swipe at some individual, organisation or orthography that he happens not to agree with or like.

This behaviour is fully intentional, and he admits that he does it, justifying it on the basis that someone or something was "dishing it out" in 1997, and he's entitled to what he calls "payback".

When Marhak does this "dishing out", and only when he does it, I point out just how he is misleading or wrong in what he says. And I point out why his swipes at individuals, organisations and orthographies that he happens not to agree with or like are unjustified and unwarranted. I don't just say that's the case. I explain why it's the case. And it's only fair that I do this in some detail to make the case crystal clear - recently when I said that one of his posts was rubbish, Marhak rightly responded with "if it's rubbish, tell us all why". So I did, in point by point detail. Marhak called the response "evasive flannel" but he didn't refute a single point.

If Marhak stops "dishing it out" I'll have nothing to respond to, and nothing would suit me more. It's not going to happen, though, is it?

Of course Marhak has a right to say if he doesn't like an orthography, although if everybody took an aggressive dislike to other orthographies, as he and a few others do, and came to C24 to mouth off about it whenever the mood took them, C24 would put off even more people from learning Cornish than it currently does, wouldn't it?

But Evertype is right. I don't understand how it can be called "dishing it out" to respond to some of Marhak's posts in order to identify those elements which are misleading, wrong, derisive, belittling, and downright destructive both because they undermine the hard work of others that (understandably) don't come here to C24 to defend themselves, and because at the same time they put off potential learners. And probably some current learners.

So we have a different understanding of what it means to be "dishing it out". We'll just have to live with that.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Oct 07, 2010 12:20 am

So, my hard work hasn't been undermined, ignored or disparaged then. News to me, my dear. It's recently happened again, for the umpteenth time, on this occasion by courtesy of something I believe you're involved with, and calling itself "Heritage Kernow". No, it's all one way in your book, isn't it?