What are these words in Cornish??

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Karesk

Re: What are these words in Cornish??

Post by Karesk » Sat Nov 06, 2010 7:56 pm

Loer Goelowann a dhewynn war gweli
Dewdhen yowynk may keswi eseli.

Y gas an den dibowes y gares
Kosel yn kosk, ha dre’n nos kerdhes

Dhe’n dons meyn naw ha deg
Yn tyller hudel Teylu Teg.

Tu ha kana krowd ow fyski
Kevys yw kevywi pyski.

Omwith oll ow kasa koedha
Gostydh dhe hus galloesek ywa.

Ottena yn mes skeusow kudh
Benyn, yn hy blew bleujenn rudh.

An goesvoren a’n tenn yn koes
Kepar ha hern kechys yn roes.

War leur glyb hag y ow pyrla tynn
Sterenn feusik warnedha a dewynn.

Pan igoras kynsa delenn glas
Genys veu deu flogh brav unntas.

Un vowes a whilas pellar skentyl
Gans flogh direwl, a fara anjentyl.

“A’n flogh ma nyns osta mamm.
Fes ev gans soenyow a flamm.”

Ow padera ha seny klogh
Yn kres an tan y thewlis flogh.*

“Gweres dhymm, klogh benygys freth
A Bedrok ker, a rydhha’n keth!”

Ternos yma fardel trosek
Kevys yn dann gwydhen bosek.

Degys yw gans rach dhe’n vowes.
Flogh ha mamm a dhaskyv powes.

Mab koes a dhons yn dann an loer.
Blas leth myrgh benyn ev a woer.

Un vamm a wra kana dh’y baban.
Sterenn feusik y lagas a splann.

*Na assay hemma yn tre!

GanO

Post by GanO » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:33 pm

Gast an ast! ... pandra abarth an Jawl yu wharfedhys ha mavy unver gans Carrek unwyth arta!?

Keith, ny wrussys-ta scryfa tra vyth rak an Dasserghyans nans yu 20 bledhen — ha ty a avowas yndelna y'th lavar dha honen omma war K24!. Tra ... Vyth.

War an dorn aral, Nicholas Williams a scryfas hag a drelyas lyes lyver 'vas bys yn Kernewek dres an termyn-na, kefrys yn KUA hag yn KS. Hag yma lyes lyver pella a vry ganso a dhegensew nep a vyth dyllys kens hyr, del won-vy fest yn ta.

Ty loselwas dyek: poken saf yn ban a'th tewdreven syger ha gul neppyth rak an Dasserghyans, po taw tavas ha syns dha grofolas pesus!

And, for those whose Cornish might not yet be quite up to speed:

Bitch of bitches! What the devil has happened, that I'm agreeing with Rock once more?
Keith, you haven't wirtten anything for the Revival for 20 years — and you confessed as much in your own words, here on C24! No … thing.
On the other hand, Nicholas Williams has written and translated lots of worthwhile books into Cornish during that period, both in UCR and in KS. And there are many further fantastic books to come from him soon, as I know full well.

You idle layabout! either stand up off your lazy buttocks/rump/airse/most-photogenic-angle, and do something for the Revival, or shut up and stop your incessant whinging!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Tennven

Post by Tennven » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:24 pm

Nothing but a personal attack again hey GanO, whose the juvenile now?

factotum

Post by factotum » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:37 pm

Ny vynnav "gul dha dhydh", Eddie hweg, sur ny vynnav. (Ha nynz yw gwir yn tien an pyth a leverydh, nag yn tien).

GanO

Post by GanO » Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:45 pm

'Personal attack', Tennven? No, just reminding people of what Keith has admitted here on C24. By his own admission, he's written nothing for the Revival since the early 1990s. Not one darned thing!

But, as he was at pains to explain to us when he made that confession, it wasn't (in his words) his fault -- not my fault, Guv'nor! No, it was altogether the fault of the "present negative climate" in the Revival, so it was. Funnily enough, that same alleged "negative climate" didn't stop lots of other people in that period (including Michael Everson and Nicholas Williams, not to mention some people of the KK persuasion, and others) from producing plenty of Cornish material for their fellow Kernewgoryon.
Keith wrote (my translation):
"... What you said is not true entirely, not entirely."
But, Keith, I'm quoting your own admission, the words from your own mouth. As they say in Gaelic, 'If what I'm saying is true, then it was true when I heard it." And, clearly, if what I'm saying is false, then whoever said it to us was being ...let's be kind... "economical with the truth".

Gowyow dyworth Keith? Dar, ass oma sawthenys fest!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:27 am

Tennven wrote:Nothing but a personal attack again hey GanO, whose the juvenile now?
PC made a nice personal attack on me above, Tennven, but you didn't mention that. It was uncalled for, I think. I've been discussing linguistic and orthographic matters, and have even been polite to PC recently.

factotum

Post by factotum » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:53 am

'S dòcha gum b'e "breug dhiot" a bh'ann co-dhiubh. Just put it down to my natural modesty. But seriously, if you and your mates wanted to encourage me, and people like me, to contribute to the Revival, you wouldn't have spent the last several years insulting us, and taking the piss out of every single thing we did. You'd have respected the existing structures, like the Kesva, and worked through them and helped to strengthen them, rather than enjoying seeing them sidelined. To tell the truth, I don't see that there's much of a Revival left to support these days. It will be many years before the language recovers from the damage and confusion you have sown.

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:02 am

The Kesva didn't respect us. Stuff the Kesva, Keith. They rejected (and reject) Traditional orthographic forms. They are for nothing. Maybe they will change one day.

I'd be very pleased to publish original work by you, or a translation of something into Cornish by you, Keith. Of course, you've pre-rejected (and made spurious complaints against) the orthography I'd prefer to publish it in, so I suppose there again we fail to have grounds for convergence for the good of the language.

I guess the difference between you and me is that I haven't given up hope.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Sun Nov 07, 2010 2:28 am

Marhak a skrifas:
You forgot to have a go at me, "Pieter".
I didn't forget, "Marhak". As you know, I don't initiate 'having a go' at you, I only ever respond to your posts, and then only if I feel obliged to comment because you're up to your old tricks.
You'll know this is the case because you'll remember that you've taken to adding a little tag line to your posts saying "now I'll just wait for PC to respond" (or words to that effect).

I didn't 'have a go' at you because I didn't realise you'd made a post that warranted a response. I must have missed it.

So what was it this time?
Misleading information? Spurious notions dressed up as fact? Little white lies? Sneering at organisations, people and orthographies you don't agree with?

If you could just point out which of your inflammatory posts I missed I'll set the record straight as usual.
Evertype a skrifas:
PC made a nice personal attack on me above, Tennven, but you didn't mention that.
I think Evertype has a point.

I attacked Evertype's patronising attitude towards Pokorny, his apparent inability to understand any point of view but his own, his aggressive approach to making a point, and I was quite rudely dismissive about the motives for his move from a seemingly fanatical 'Cornish does not need an unambiguous orthography, and it wouldn't help learners even if it had one - what do you think the Cornish are, stupid?' position to a seemingly fanatical 'Cornish has to have a totally and utterly unambiguous orthography, which can only be achieved with eleven (for now) diacriticised letters' position.

It was really Evertype's behaviour I was attacking, not Evertype himself, but I'm not sure there's much of a difference. So if Tennven thought mine was a personal attack he should have pulled me up over it. Otherwise it would not be fair that GanOw gets singled out for calling people an 'idle layabout' and telling them to get off their 'lazy buttocks'.
I say 'buttocks' because 'diwbedrenn' doesn't mean 'a*se' in my Cornish, but then nor does 'dewdreven' which to me sounds more like 'two farmsteads' or 'two houses' - GanOw, where did you get the word 'dewdreven' from? It's not another compelling attestation in a Cornish folk song, is it?

kal

Post by kal » Sun Nov 07, 2010 3:14 am

Well you do have to feel sorry for poor Eddie, he does try, maybe he got ' dewdreven' from NJW's dictionary, although
NJW gives 'dewbedren' and Nance gives us 'dewbedren' also , of course Nance being the nice man he was, does not give us 'arse' in his dictionary , although he does give us 'bottom' as of course ' tyn' . maybe Eddie thinks 'b' mutates to 'd' after 'dew'
His comyx must be a fun read, if his Cornish is anything like what he posts on here. It appears Eddie has his own mutation system. Of course maybe 'dewdreven' is from one of those mysterious Cornish dialects that apparently existed when a strange spelling needs to be explained..

Tennven

Post by Tennven » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:34 am

I don't think anyone, PC included! should use someones mistake in Cornish as basis for an attack (counter or otherwise?) Perhaps we should right some Rules of engagement!

Evertype, I'm sorry you felt I needed to defend you against PC...

I only responded to GanO as he said I was resorting to "petulant playground invective" because I said he was stubborn and argumentative! Yet calling Factotum an Idle layabout or a lazy arse is obviously conforms to GanO strange sense of decency? Perhaps you could draw some lines for me GanO so I know what I can and can't say according to you?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:58 am

Oh, look who's back, now under the name of 'kal'.

GanO

Post by GanO » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:00 am

Alas, 'kal', nothing more than a slip of the keyboard.

A similar one to the many you made in your own post — when you omitted the full stop at the end of your first paragraph, and mistakenly used a 2-dot leader instead of (presumably) a 3-stop horizontal ellipsis at the end of your second one. And we'll just pass over your repeated omissions and misusages of the poor humble comma.

" 'Tyndhu,' yn meth an vran dhe'n wylan," del grysaf.

Wait a sec ... can't punctuate properly ... feeble in the celtic Art of Satire ... aah!

SALACIOUS CRUMB, DEAR! HEEEEELLLLLLLOOOOOO ! ! ! ! !
Time to return; I think your favourite Canadian Cretin has just re-excreted himself under yet another fake name!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:15 am

Karesk - oberenn vryntin! RES dhis dannvon an bardhonek brav na dhe 'An Gannas'.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:19 am

Factotum - can't agree with that despair! Things are picking up again, and people have learnt to treat all that repetitive whinging from the linguistically and ethically challenged as no more than a form of static we can ignore. Cornish is now getting into places it never reached before. Re bo cher da y'th kolonn!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates