an canker-seth

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Marhak

an canker-seth

Post by Marhak » Fri Nov 05, 2010 8:11 pm

Another little gem from the treasure house of a 2nd hand bookshop I found.

Anyone remember the TSW learn-Cornish series "An Canker-Seth" from 1984? I found a booklet published by TSW with the complete script of all seven programmes, and was only asked £2 for it! That was back in days when TV companies discriminated less against the Cornish and their language; when Cornish was Cornish (albeit ambiguous) and hadn't been turned into a battlefield or anyone's private preserve.

I got Nance's "Glossary of Celtic Words in Cornish Dialect" (1923) in there, too (so he's writing in pre-UC orth0graphy which is rather like Jenner's - still the best orthography for me - but not identical). £4.

No, I'm not saying where this 2nd hand bookshop is. You can apply the thumbscrews all you want - I refuse to talk! It's MY treasure house. Find your own!

Kevrenor

Re: an canker-seth

Post by Kevrenor » Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:27 am

Marhak wrote:Anyone remember the TSW learn-Cornish series "An Canker-Seth" from 1984?
Yes, I have the VHS tape here, somewhere. I must dig it out and convert to DVD.

Anselm

Re: an canker-seth

Post by Anselm » Sat Nov 06, 2010 9:17 am

I was involved in adapting it for transmission on S4C. Good stuff!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates