Spellyans

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
spelly

Spellyans

Post by spelly » Mon Nov 15, 2010 3:28 pm

Been in their recently it is hilarious , poor old Mickey , at least Eddie dissents now and again,but Mickey is a bully, KS is doomed.

factotum

Re: Spellyans

Post by factotum » Mon Nov 15, 2010 9:54 pm

Gaidhlig "lom" = Cornish (hold your breath) "lomm" both mean "bare". Cf. Welsh "noeth-llwm" = Gaidhlig "lom-nochd". (A written 'm' is taken as double by default in both G. and W.)

Yet Eddie, editor, publisher and translator in both Cornish and Welsh and who was at one time pretty fluent in Gaidhlig, thinks that "lom" = Cornish "lymm" 'sharp' (W. llym).

Blas hwerow/searbh

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Mon Nov 15, 2010 10:33 pm

Grasow meur dhis, Spelly. a dhri dhe'w hov prag na vydhav vy ow mires orth lavarow lows tus an anvi.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 15, 2010 11:11 pm

Interesting statemen/accusation there, Keith, but - no reference? I very much doubt that Eddie would make such an error intentionally. Is it a genuine mistake, a misprint or something missed on proof-reading? (like "event of great signicance"). Or is fantasy of the kind your friend "Pieter" likes to accuse me of? Did you enquire before making that accusation? Well, no, you didn't.

As far as I'm concerned, the true Cornish equivalent for Gaelic 'lom' is "lom/lobm". The true Cornish equivalent of W. 'llym' is "lym" ( no pre-occluded form as far as I'm aware).

factotum

Post by factotum » Tue Nov 16, 2010 1:53 am

My comment refer to one of Eddie's Spelly posts which I noticed when I looked in a couple of days back --- something about gruel made from husks --- hence 'bare' rations.

Lymm would be expected to surface in Late Cornish as 'lebm', is it attested? Maybe the word went out of use?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 9:46 am

Pretty close, Keith: lemmys (Lhuyd) and lebmys (Pryce) are attested the past participle used as an adjective). The verb is attested by Lhuyd, Pryce and Thomas Tonkin as : lebma. No sign of 'lebm', though, so perhaps it did fall out of use, and the past part., used instead.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:22 am

Identity stealing again, Napoleon? This time using GanO's logo.

GanO

Post by GanO » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:54 am

So he is. Reeves has no originality, no creativity; he offers nothing to the Revival -- nor (I daresay) to anyone else on this planet. He can only parasitise and piss on what others produce.

Children's books in Cornish?
. . . He'll make knock-offs of them filled with pictures from his heap of homosexual wank mags, and put them where kids will find them.

Set up http://www.CornishKidsBooks.com to sell books and comix to kids and learners?
. . . He'll set up CornishKidsBooks.org to show the kiddies dildos and narcissistic perverts fondling their genitals.

And when any forum Moderator bans him for this sort of crap (as oh-so-many have over the years!)? Reeves froths at the mouth, and having chewed the carpet a bit, puts on his jackboots and starts waving his beloved Nazi flags around and gibbering (and I quote), 'How dare C24 ban , *me* the fascist yokel, , ! !!"

Identity theft? He's been doing it for years -- how else can he have an identity except by thieving someone else's to wear as a mask?! After all, if you were him, would you want to look in the mirror and see real yourself?
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Tue Nov 16, 2010 12:50 pm

Perish the thought!

willy

Post by willy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:30 am

More fantasy from Weatherhill from the Spellyans list
I'm so glad you invoked the name of Peter Pool. A wonderful man who
was a great friend and mentor for many years. But I remember with
distaste the conduct of those KK morons who publicly lampooned him as
a dinosaur rampaging over the grave of Morton Nance. The people who
did that were not fit to buff the shoes of one of the greatest Cornish
scholars ever (not just language, but history and archaeology). It was
unprovoked, wholly unnecessary, and it caused huge upset.

willy

Post by willy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:37 am

I have both copies of BK, which is more than you can say for most of the idiots on the Spelly list who think they are experts.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:23 am

Now learn to read 'em, Napoleon. ("They're coming to take me away, ha,ha!". Maybe sooner than you think).

GanO

Post by GanO » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:46 pm

The self-styled dick-head ejaculated:
I have both copies of BK,
Actually, I think there were more than two copies in the print runs of the two editions, as I personally know other people who have copies I've seen with my own eyes. Still, perhaps you know best, but ... hold! what is that oink-oinking I hear passing overhead? Why, it's Reeves's porkies excercising their wings!
El Idioto Minimo then drooled:
..which is more than you can say for most of the idiots on the Spelly list who think they are experts.
I know many people on Spellyans, including me, who have copies of the scholarly edition by Thomas & Williams. But I daresay you're right, Reeves; perhaps not many would bother with Ken's KKesva Edition, whose only virtue was that it was cheap.

But, do please tell all the boys and girls here, Steevee, how do you know what books those people have bought? I mean, I was just guessing which is why I used words like 'I daresay' and "perhaps'. You, by contrast, made a firm statement. Could it be that you have access to cofidential information about those people's personal lives.

Doubtful, ain't it. You're just bull-shitting as usual.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

david

Post by david » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:30 am

Put it this way, maybe some do have the Thomas & Williams edition, although not many have mentioned it, but some have said they do not have it as it is too expensive, and as you say I very much doubt they would have Ken George's edition, which any scholar should buy for comparison,
Now Stephen R, has both editions, and as he is a scholar he has all books published in KS, including Craig's book, and Alan Kent's and the others except the prayer book. He has all dictionaries Nance's memorial edition, three KK Dictionaries ,two of Richard Gendall's , Williams' UCR dictionary ,two editions of Jenner, most of the Unified Cornish library, including Kernewek Bew, Kernewek Simplified,Cornish this way, Cornish for Beginner's Lets learn Cornish ( Rod Lyon), Kemysk Kernewek, four editions of 'Jowann chi', Tavas A Ragadazow, Practical Modern Cornish, Skeul an Yeth all three volumes, Clappya Kernowek ,both editions of the New Testament, Cornish Today, both editions, part of the old Testament, Cornish is Fun, and other various books in all orthographies, now there is a scholar and an unbiased one at that, and somone who does not denigrate any of those books.or prejudge before reading them as other seem to do , or who gives a crap who endorses what. Oh and I have the editions that Tim Saunders has issued of his poetry,and the works of other poets and his anthology of Cornish writing .( oh shoot I almost forget I have both editions of Craig's place names )

david

Post by david » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:44 am

I will also be revamping my Kernewek-Progressive.com site, to a proper website, rather than a blog, so look out for that, something different in the near future.