Nicholas Williams and Ken George.

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
willy

Nicholas Williams and Ken George.

Post by willy » Wed Nov 17, 2010 3:17 am

Williams' pathological hatred of Ken George and his works, as evidenced in the lastest Spellyans posts, does the revival no good and just turns people off.
http://kernowek.net/pipermail/spellyans ... 03368.html

Anselm

Re: Nicholas Williams and Ken George.

Post by Anselm » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:07 am

Most people aren't bothered, to be honest. Nynja's written some good stuff in Cornish, and may well do so again. He'll probably never grasp that Cornish-speakers just want to use their language, and simply aren't interested in the sort of loopy philological speculations that give ordinary decent pedantry a bad name. The best course is to ignore the mad stuff, and just hope and pray that he turns to fulfilling his early promise as a Cornish writer.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:54 am

It was Ken George's "loopy philological speculations" that did the damage, Tybm, and you know it. He posits a whole phonology that nobody uses, not even him. The worst thing is that he won't, or can't, admit that he made a mistake. It's a pity. He knows a lot, and could be useful to the Revival.

You'll be delighted to know, however, that a new book by Nicholas will be launched at the MAGA conference on Saturday 27 November.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:16 am

Plus a few new gorgeous publications from Gwask an Orlewen, which should please you (not).

GanO

Post by GanO » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:53 pm

Indeed, Gwask an Orlewen has published 2 Specials just for launching at the MAGA Kescusulyans in Lost Wydhyel on Sat 27 Nov. They're a mini-series of two books for early-to-intermediate learners, mainly younger ones but adult should find them both instructive and entertaining. All in Traditional Cornish with a comprehensive Kernewek-Sawsnek Glossary, and loads of lovely illustrations.

And that's all I can say for now -- not allowed to spoil the surprise, you know!

The books will first go on sale at the Lost Wydhyel bash, on the Spyrys a Gernow stall. If you miss out on snaffling a copy on the day, don't worry! they'll be available afterwards on G an O's online shop for the same price (+ postage). And Spyrys will of course take orders by post or email as usual, if you prefer.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Oh, just look who started this thread, for no other purpose than to keep old personal animosities going. Is anyone now in any doubt as to Reeves's agenda? (Because you shouldn't be).

GanO

Post by GanO » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:51 pm

You think the sociopathic wee prick [sic] has anything as coherent as an 'agenda'?

Seems unlikely on the basis of his incoherent drivellings.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Nov 17, 2010 11:01 pm

The play about St. Paul was a tour de force - Talek remarked that it would, written in an antique hand on frayed vellum, it would have taken in a lot of experts. For my part, I prefer the tragedy 'Maylura'. Taking a few names out of obscure historical references, with the aid of the three unities he shaped a precise vision of a time and place that would draw us back again and again. Has it ever been performed? If not, it certainly should be. And NJAW should certainly return to this seam and mine it deeper. There's plenty of material there - and it's certainly worth bringing into public view.

One piece that I enjoyed especially was 'Nyns yw ma's ges a wraf', a short comedy in which the Gorseth plan, and successfully carry out, a rising. It's full of pleasant little touches such as 'Hic Bardus Magnus Pompabit' - we could certainly do with more of this!
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

GanO

Post by GanO » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:03 am

Interesting, Tim; I've never come across those pieces. Do you know if they're still in print?
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:54 am

All I've seen is photocopies of typescripts. A proper publication, however, would be welcomed.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:14 pm

There was also an interesting selection of prose, mainly in ALK.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Nov 20, 2010 1:07 am

I remember a very evocative short story, with the kind of atmosphere that suggested an autobiographical element.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:57 pm

Some of the reportage on Ireland wasn't at all bad.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates