Enys Tresour dyllys in Kernowek

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Marhak

Re: Enys Tresour dyllys in Kernowek

Post by Marhak » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:39 am

Eus. Mike Pinder, ow triga yn California lebmyn, a wra fylla y vellotrons ha composya whath. Record adhiwedhes gans Pinder yw henwys: "Yn Mesk an Ster".

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:50 am

Nyns yw oes an marthusyow devedhys dhe benn!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 7:52 am

Keith - yth esov vy war TyBibenn yn-unn lenna onan a vardhonegow Mordon.

ON Drog o bardhonek Mordon gans unn 'Awenek', neb a gablas 'banality' an darn!
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:01 am

Keith - not being able to find something on the Internet shouldn't encourage anybody to conclude anything much. ME perpetrated an appalling gaffe recently through the Welsh translation of one of his press releases. When I very helpfully pointed this out (as a Welsh-speaker and a member of the institution referred to, I was in a position to provide him with the correct terminology), he floundered around on the Internet for a bit, failed to discover the right information himself, and insisted on sticking to the original solecism.
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:02 am

A salutary tale!
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

GanO

Post by GanO » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:08 am

Or try listening to the episode of 'Radyo an Gernewegva' (number 60-something, I think it was, but issued just after Jowan's demise) with a long interview by Rod Lyon with the late Jowan Pengelly: two of the best speakers I've ever heard! While you're at it, listen to Matthi Clarke himself; you'd go a long way before finding a more fluent speaker than him.

Alternatively, why not come along one of MAGA's events and listen to Jennifer Lowe or Elizabeth Stewart talk. Fine speakers each of them. Or go to the Spyrys a Gernow stall and, while surveying the fine selection of items they offer in Authentic Cornish, and have a chat with Ray and Denise Chubb—excellent Cornish from them as well. Then there's Neil Kennedy whose fluent Cornish is delightfully flavoured with the accent of his part of Cornwall.

And if you'd stirred your stumps and came along to the Gorseth in Porth Ya last autumn, you'd have heard our Grand Bard Mick Paynter give a stirring (and fluent) speech to the assembled throng of onlookers.

So many fine speakers; whenever I hear them, I'm encouraged in my studies with a clearer sense of direction.

And, guess what, Keith: each one of them is contributing to the revival. That's an inspiration in itself to those of us who are striving to do the same!
Last edited by GanO on Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

carrek

Post by carrek » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:35 am

Marhak wrote:You've been watching too many TV trailers for future films, Carrek! That is actually very good. Have you tried translating it all?
Ma ev war'n bellwolok pub eur! Th ew da genam an gan, ytho...

Nag ew ow Hernowek da lowr rag y dreylya oll! Na via da genam assaya dhe wul an linednow rimya ywedh...

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:37 am

Tim Saunders wrote:When I very helpfully pointed this out (as a Welsh-speaker and a member of the institution referred to, I was in a position to provide him with the correct terminology), he floundered around on the Internet for a bit, failed to discover the right information himself, and insisted on sticking to the original solecism.
What a load of crap.

I did not "flounder around" on the internet. I did find a number of Welsh-sourced examples which showed that your assertion that Coleg Eglwys Crist was "un-Welsh" was unfounded. And I spoke with the translator, who rejected your "correction".

Your "correction" was an example of your being childishly pedantic, and your suggestion of Tŷ Crist or just Y Tŷ was ridiculous and smacked of public schoolboy jargon: you wanted us to feel like outsiders, but just made yourself seem ridiculous!

carrek

Post by carrek » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:48 am

factotum wrote:I used to believe there was, but now quite frankly I'm beginning to doubt it. If there were, then M&N's mischief would have come to nothing long since.
I spent part of last night looking around on the internet for examples of Cornish being spoken fluently
Sav a-man dhort dha gador-vregh ha ke en-rag en bes Kernowegoryon. Nag ew "radn a nyhewer war'n kesrosweyth" lowr. Me a venja predery dr'ew hebma skians da?
factotum wrote:One would expect those who who put videos and recordings online to at least include *some* of the best speakers around. Apart from promoting the existence of Cornish as a living language, they would be a valuable resource. What I've been able to find so far is rather disappointing. Please direct me to some examples of fluent spoken Cornish that you wouldn't be ashamed to put before an impartial sceptic of the Revival.
Wel, ow bos Kernoweger freth, che a alja gwruthyl radn anedhans dha honen, agh bus me a nakevas, che ew Kernoweger cador-vregh, nag os ta? Na wres che kevry, che a wra cably. Nag es ta ow rei tra veth dhe'n dasserghyans.

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:45 pm

Although I'm currently considering withdrawing support for the SWF because of the Partnership's conduct re historic place-names, I might be forced to think again after seeing SWF used with trad. graphs and late variants written as you do, Carrek. I've always had a soft spot for Late Cornish, and this looks homely, easy on the eye, familiar and, well, Cornish!

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:01 pm

"Try the clip of Dick Gendall narrating John of Chyannor, whilst sitting on his stairs and without a single sheet of paper in front of him."

Indeed, that's probably the best I've found to date. I'll go over it more carefully in a while. I can certainly understand how Dan (Morvil) was seduced by Dick's delivery LC ;-)

Quite apart from the standard of the Cornish, rather a lot of the language videos are very poor technically, sound-wise that is, which is what really matters -- terrible background noises, erratic sound levels, distortion ... a real pity.

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Margheg, if you do withdraw from the SWF, it would I think be useful to explain your reasons publicly --- far too much Partnership business seems to go on behind closed doors IMO.

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:25 pm

Eddy, I'll see if I can find the Rod and Jowan broadcast. I've been examining a shortish sample of Rod's Cornish and it strikes me as 'overpronounced' that is he seems to stress all the syllables more or less equally, which gives a rather odd and unnatural effect. He also seems to diphthongise many of his long vowels, English style, though perhaps not as badly as many others. He's certainly fluent in that he can think on his feet in Cornish as can Matty. Matty's videos seem a bit 'nervous', but that's just an initial subjective impression. All of these people, along with the Chubbs, I've heard speak Cornish many times in person. However, what I'm looking at at present is the material publically available on the net. Cornish gatherings and events are rather small and few, and not accessible to everyone who might be interested in the language. These days the internet is most people's first call for information, especially the young. That's why it's important to make a good impression. People will naturally compare Cornish recordings and videos with those in the other Celtic and minority languages, and right now, I don't think we come off very well, not even compared to Manx.

factotum

Post by factotum » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:48 pm

Carrek --- Ny wruga vy omsynsi dhe voz kowser freth y'n dydhyow-ma, ytho ny goedh dhymm ledye tuz arall dhe siwye ow hammgemmeryansow. Mez moy ez henna, travyth gwryz genev a dhierbynno marnaz ges ha hwerowder, ha prag a dal dhymm godhevel henna dhiworthys ha'th kowethe?

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:23 pm

With professional exceptions, YouTube is notorious for poor sound quality when live filming. Not YouTube's fault - most mikes can't take off the sharp edge of sound and you can't mask the background. Not that I know much about it: I've never put anything on it, but I'd like to when I've got used to the mellotron. I'd like a helmet-cam, too for recording a horseback run on the cliffs!