Enys Tresour dyllys in Kernowek

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Evertype

Re: Enys Tresour dyllys in Kernowek

Post by Evertype » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:23 pm

Is that the best you can do, Timmy?

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:26 pm

factotum wrote:Yma diffrans sottel ynter "a-dro" (lit. 'around, round-about') hag "yn kever" (lit. 'in the direction or area of' cf. W. 'cyfair') kyn fens i treylyyz aga dew yn Sowsneg worth 'about, concerning'. Heb mar, dre chons yn unnig yma fowt a 'yn kever' gans hynwyn yn tekstow koth. Nyns yw kevyz hwath gans pronouns mez boghez.
I perceive the subtle difference, Keith. But speakers of traditional Cornish said ow tochya and tochyng with nouns, and they said i'th kever and in y gever and so on with pronouns. Go check the texts.

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:40 pm

Drog yw genev .... Unn DRA yw diblans: Kernewegoryon nyns ons i mann!
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun Jan 09, 2011 1:23 am

You'd like to think so. But I wager that native speakers of Cornish would understand Nicholas' Enys Tresour far more easily than they'd understand what you write. (Odd choice, dyblans there. One would expect cler.)

spelly

Post by spelly » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:06 am

Native speakers of Cornish even if they could read ,would not be able to make sense of the KS orthography,Are you saying that NJW is writing for dead people or their ghosts from the 17 th C?, Tim's writing is much more relavant to 21 st C speakers of Cornish,, and who are you who cannot even write the language or speak it ,to tell actual Cornish speakers such as Tim or Keith on how to speak their language, or even NJW for that matter,regardless of how many books you publish in your archaic conlang.
http://keltack.typepad.com/kernewekprogressive

spelly

Post by spelly » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:22 am

I have a copy of 'Enys Tresour' so when I have read it,I will post examples either here or on my Kernewekpogressive bloghttp://keltack.typepad.com/kernewekprogressive

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Jan 09, 2011 9:15 am

Y fydhav gwir synsys dhis a worra an ensamplow na omma, dhyn ni oll kavoes aga gweles. Yth yw pur goynt na vynn tus an anvi gul yn kettella aga honan: panra ymons i owth assaya hy heles?

Kepar dell leversis ytho, yth yw diblans hag apert bones M-ha-Na ow supposya kewsel a-barth Kernewegoryon an hen amser. Res dhumm avowa dell vydh tus a lever aga bones ow kewsel a-barth an re varow dhana ow korra skruth yn-nans ow heyn. A-ban fyllis M-ha-N dena rann vrassa Kernewgoryon hedhyw dhe vones gostoedh dhedha, y fydhons prest owth assaya omwul nag eson ni omma.

Dhe'th tyb eji ytho, piw yw kuntelles tybys an kowsow flows ma? Tus nag yw Kernewegoryon yn-hwir, mes prag y fydhons i ow prederi yn kever agan yeth mar nyns yw hi lower hy les ganso rag hy dhyski? Koyntta es koynt!
Anselm

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Evertype

Post by Evertype » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:59 pm

Dha anstyradowha hag anstyradowha!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:34 pm

I thought you'd said you'd gone for good, Steve (Spelly). I really thought you might be making something of your life, especially after the apology (which I accept as long as the sin isn't repeated).

spelly

Post by spelly » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:25 pm

I believe this would be an example of the register that Long John Silver uses,
Chatper 20, page 155.

"Wèl,otta va,' yn medh Silver " Nei a garsa cawas an tresour, ha nei a wra y gawas- hèn yw agan poynt nei!, Why a garsa sawya agas bêwnans kefrës, th'erom' ow crejy.Hèn yw agas poynt whei.Yma dhywgh mappa , nâ?"

spelly

Post by spelly » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:27 pm

I am making something of my life, i am reading 'Enys Tresour' and answering some of the questions on this board,

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:35 pm

OK, you could do worse than that, I suppose.

spelly

Post by spelly » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:53 pm

There is nothing wrong with NJW's style or usage, nor is their anything wrong with Tim's or Keith's whether one uses loan words or coins words using Celtic roots for the revived language. If everyone used the same style it would be boring,, my only wish is that the books had been written in the SWF, to bolster the existing revival regardless of what happens in 2013, I have so many books in different orthographies that I get mixed up sometimes when writing Cornish.

( I also purches the new edition of' 'Skeul an Tavas'

spelly

Post by spelly » Sun Jan 09, 2011 4:57 pm

Marhak I have a good youtube for you, it is satire from Ireland , cannot post the URL at present but search under
'Rubber bandits- horse outside' (about the guy with the horse who wins the girl, against the rich guys with cars,) The people of Limerick took the satire the wrong way. ( info from Cracked .com )

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:22 pm

Interesting. As it stands, this quotation is obviously at some variance with colloquial Modern Cornish as it's developed over the pat century or so. Even though NJAW seems reluctant to acknowledge the existence of the modern language today, he must realize this and have written in the way he did in order to achieve a particular effect. The first question is, what kind of effect was he trying to create? It would be helpful if you could show us a passage of contrasting dialogue.

The next question, of course, is what will be the effect on the audience? Mes ken govynn hys-ha-hys a vydh henna!
Anselm

Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates