A bit of help please for a poster

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
beniastrolab

A bit of help please for a poster

Post by beniastrolab » Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:27 pm

I want to be able to write

"This is not a poster for Hanterhir and Punch Judy live at the Clipper Bar in Camborne on Friday 3rd December...that hasn't been designed yet"

or something relatively similar in Cornish

"Nyns yw hemma an arwoedh a Hanterhir ha Punch Judy gwary byw yn an Clipper Bar yn Camborne war Dy' Gwener, Tri Mis Kevardu" is as far as my tiny mind can take me, but I'm sure I've got the majority wrong!

Meur ras (in advance!)

pietercharles

Re: A bit of help please for a poster

Post by pietercharles » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:03 pm

Lots of it is fine. Well done!

I'd suggest:

Nyns yw hemma skrisel rag Hanterhir ha Punch Judy byw y'n Clipper Bar yn Camborne, dy'Gwener an 3a a vis-Kevardhu...ny veu henna desinys hwath.

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:06 pm

Make that:

Nyns yw hemma skrisel rag Hanterhir ha Punch Judy byw y'n Clipper Bar yn Camborne, dy'Gwener an 3a a vis-Kevardhu...ny veu henna desinys na hwath.

(the 'na' makes all the difference....)

beniastrolab

Post by beniastrolab » Fri Nov 26, 2010 3:06 pm

Meur ras Pietercharles!

I've got a cheat work sheet that I use, but because of grammar and the way things are written I trip up!

GanO

Post by GanO » Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:54 pm

A few suggestions, beniastrolab:
1) I would use the Cornish spelling for the town: Cambron (Camborne is English, and the unhistoric Kammbronn is ghastly even by Kernewek Kemmynn standards).

2) the date can be simplified in Cornish; no need for 'de/du/dy', the ordinal number, or 'mys'. It's enough to write:
Gwener 3 Kevardhu

3) 'Punch and Judy Live' really should be 'Punch-ha-Judy Bew' in Cornish, which you might hyphenate for clarity.

With these changes in mind, and a slight change in the word order for emphasis, pietercharles' rendition would read (in Unified Cornish spelling):

Nyns yu hemma skrysel rak Hanterhir ha Punch-ha-Judy Bew y'n Clipper Bar yn Cambron, Gwener 3 Kevardhu ... desynyes ny ve henna whath.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

beniastrolab

Post by beniastrolab » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:25 pm

Thanks GanO...the posters been done now, so it's a bit late (my fault for leaving it late anyway), but I get to keep your suggestions for the next time!

For those wanting to know what the poster turned out like...if I can get the link below to work

beniastrolab

Post by beniastrolab » Wed Dec 01, 2010 4:26 pm

If I've got it horrifically wrong, please tell me and I WILL sort it out!

pietercharles

Post by pietercharles » Wed Dec 01, 2010 8:32 pm

Bryntin yw!
Da yw genev yn arbennik an devnydh a liw ha'n Sowsnek nebes mes a fog!
Keslowena!

It's brililant!
I especially like the use of colour and the slightly out of focus English.
Congratulations!

factotum

Post by factotum » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:22 am

Proper job! Gwryz yn ta!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Thu Dec 02, 2010 2:03 am

The English have always been out of focus - at least as far as the Cornish are concerned! So, it's apt.

beniastrolab

Post by beniastrolab » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:07 am

The out of focus Engish was the point really, which was why I needed to make sure I had the Cornish right.
If one person looks at that poster and thinks "Ooh, that's interesting, i'm going to look into Cornish a bit" than I think it's done it's job.
English is at the bottom, because this is an English speaking country, but obviously it's the "Cornish-ness" of the band that we want to promote or push or define or point out, or whatever...not in a usual "Hey, we're from Cornwall, we've got surfboards and we're going to leave for London as soon as we can" way that Cornish bands seem to think. Our heart is in Cornwall, and what we sing about is from a Cornish perspective, not an English one, whether it's politics, love, the Cornish or just being here in this wonderful place...so the Cornish takes precidence