Recommended reading

A new forum dedicated to Kernewek - the Cornish language, Cornish culture and the history of the Duchy of Cornwall
Mark

Recommended reading

Post by Mark » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:35 pm

What are the quintessential books on the Cornish and Cornish history, heritage and culture?

Having a number of books on the above, I'm interested to know what others recommend!
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Marhak

Re: Recommended reading

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:17 am

"Cornwall and its People" - A.K. Hamilton Jenkin 1945, reprints to 1983 - ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL (and high time it was re-published).
"Cornwall": Philip Payton - a good history, and by a Cornishman.

Ellery

Post by Ellery » Mon Nov 29, 2010 12:25 am

Mark Stoyle's "West Britons: Cornish Identities and the Early Modern British State" and "Soldiers and Strangers: An Ethnic History of the English Civil War"

GanO

Post by GanO » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:07 am

The Cornish Language and it Literature. Peter Berresford Ellis.

From the earliest records up till the 1970s or thereabouts; has many specimen quotes in Cornish with English translations. Excellent.Out of print but still available 2nd hand (although often expensive these days).

He wrote a thinner, updated book on the same subject which would probably be cheaper - can't remember the exact title.
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:59 am

I got my copy of Berresford Ellis's book for £5 in the little treasure house of a 2nd hand bookshop I found a couple of years ago (nope - not saying where. It's MY secret, I tell you, MINE!).

Mark

Post by Mark » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:01 pm

Brilliant guys! Anyone else?
As long as a hundred of us remain alive, we shall never give in to the domination of the English. We fight not for glory, not for wealth nor honours but only and alone for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life...

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Mon Nov 29, 2010 11:20 pm

Harking back to the A.K. Hamilton Jenkin book - this describes the traditional culture of the Cornish people far better than anything else ever published. It is quite simply superb.

Mark

Post by Mark » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:21 am

Re: AKHJ. I have his 'Cornish Miner' book but not this one.
It's due through my letter box any day! :D

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:55 pm

AK says somewhere 'It was a poor kind of hospitality in 18th-century Cornwall that permitted a guest to rise from the table sober - or, indeed, at all'. Or something like that.
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:49 am

Bump

Fulub-le-Breton

Post by Fulub-le-Breton » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:32 pm

You could try here for my list of books: http://www.librarything.com/catalog/cor ... ourlibrary

Mark

Post by Mark » Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:26 pm

Gras dhys Fulub!

Marhak

Post by Marhak » Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:15 am

Two of mine are in there, Fulub! What a kind man you are!

Anselm

Post by Anselm » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:51 pm

There are several useful items on this site:

http://www.francisboutle.co.uk/index.php?cPath=3
Anselm

'Against a promontory my ship' Rump L. Stiltz-Kinn

'With regret I feel that unless you have a serious change of heart your presence at the Mennaye on Cornish Pirates match days is no longer desired.'
Rod Coward
CEO
Cornish Pirates

GanO

Post by GanO » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:40 am

If you want an overview of Cornish literature, this one's comprehensive and very affordable at about £10+£2.75 p/p from Amazon, or direct from The Book Depository:

Looking at the Mermaid — A Reader in Cornish Literature 900–1900
ed. Alan M. Kent & Tim Saunders (Francis Boutle, 2000. ISBN 1-903427-01-0) 366pp, p/b. RRP £15.

It has texts in Kernewek (original spellings retained) with parallel English translation, as well as ones in Cornish Dialect and English. The editors have provided a good, if concise, range of supplementary information for the reader: the source details for each passage, a brief Glossary, and suggestions for further reading. With the parallel text in the Kernewek section, there's not even much need for a dictionary.

Altogether, this is an essential item on the bookshelf, and perfectly complements the more discursive treatment given the subject by Peter Berresford Ellis, in the books mentioned above. I just wish I'd known about this gem years ago!
Gwask an Orlewen
Dyller yn Kernewek Gwyr
- = - = - = - = - = - = - = -
"An Gwyr a'gas delyrf." Jow.8:32
"Dyllen dampnys kyn fen!"